Gifts of the Spirit defined

laronius

In Sunday School we were talking about gifts of the Spirit and the teacher had us list different gifts either found in the scriptures or from patriarchal blessings. Many of those listed were ones you expect to hear: healing, knowledge, tongues, etc. But there were other ones like kindness, cheerfulness, gratitude, etc.

This made me start to wonder what exactly is a gift of the Spirit. We could technically call any positive attribute a gift of the Spirit because the Spirit can help us develop those attributes. But is that what the scriptures are actually talking about? So I guess my question is how do we distinguish between gifts of the Spirit and other positive qualities or should we not try to differentiate between them because they are all gifts?

Numbering the gifts of the Spirit is like counting our blessings. It's an exercise in gratitude and humility, not a task that can be achieved. The gifts of the Spirit are countless; as you point out, "we could technically call any positive attribute a gift of the Spirit".

11 minutes ago, laronius said:

So I guess my question is how do we distinguish between gifts of the Spirit and other positive qualities or should we not try to differentiate between them because they are all gifts?

The latter, I would suggest.

4 hours ago, laronius said:

So I guess my question is how do we distinguish between gifts of the Spirit and other positive qualities or should we not try to differentiate between them because they are all gifts?

This is a difficult question because everything we receive is technically a "gift" from God through the grace of Jesus Christ. I would like to think there is a difference between the "gifts of the Spirit," and personality gifts -- although both are gifts.

I think PC provided a good distinction to this discussion regarding the "gift" and the "fruits" of the gift. That seems to make more sense to me. There is the "tree" and there is the "result" (fruit) of the tree.

Someone who has been blessed (a gift) with more charity will ultimately show the fruits of Charity more than another person who will need to pray a little harder for this gift. Determining where that distinction separates the two is more difficult, and yet the Lord specifically in the past and reiterates in our day to specifically seek out the "gifts" of the Spirit.

One thing for certain is that the gift of the Spirit requires an increase of the Spirit in our lives to be received. A person doesn't grow in faith without an increase of the Spirit in their lives. Someone doesn't increase in Charity without an increase of the Spirit in their lives.

In contrast, an Atheist who doesn't seek nor believe in the Spirit can increase in knowledge (worldly), but not have an increase in the gift of knowledge as given by the Spirit. I have watched them increase in worldly love, but not Godly love -- Charity.

Edited by Anddenex

Im guessing that something that is a gift of the Spirit would take less time to develop and improve than something that is merely a talent or an attribute, and a talent or attribute would take less time to improve than something that we have no talent for, but are forced to practice by a parent who wants us to have/develop that attribute,

In A Guide to the Scriptures on the tools app it defines gifts of the Spirit as:

Special spiritual blessings given by the Lord to worthy individuals for their own benefit and for them to use in blessing others.

I have not read anywhere that specifically states that receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost is a prerequisite to having a gift of the Spirit, though that could be the case, but I think it would be safe to say that receiving the Holy Ghost is prerequisite to the full development of those gifts. 

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

Im guessing that something that is a gift of the Spirit would take less time to develop and improve than something that is merely a talent or an attribute, and a talent or attribute would take less time to improve than something that we have no talent for, but are forced to practice by a parent who wants us to have/develop that attribute,

That is an interesting point. We are commanded to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost but the act of receiving actually requires some effort on our part. Other gifts of the Spirit are probably similar.