Chased by an elephant...

zil2

8 minutes ago, Vort said:

And as we all know, Kilimanjaro rises like a, um...leopard...above the Serengeti.

When my brother and I used to listen to Bohemian Rhapsody, and it got to the bit about "spare him his life from this monstrosity", my dad used to ask why he was singing about "sausages".

It was no use trying to tell him the proper lyric: he'd just say "sounds like 'sausages' to me!"

Edited by Jamie123

15 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

When my brother and I used to listen to Bohemian Rhapsody, and it got to the bit about "spare him his life from this monstrosity", my dad used to ask why he was singing about "sausages".

It was no use trying to tell him the proper lyric: he'd just say "sounds like 'sausages' to me!"

It's that English accent that throws people off.

On 10/13/2023 at 7:12 PM, Vort said:

What is the central feature in the caldera? Maybe that is the caldera? It looks much too perfectly round to be natural.

I'm no expert on volcanos, but a quick Googling does show calderas are not typically perfectly round. This one is the Santa Ana volcano in El Salvador:

image.png.76ee6b54908817894435d687704ac857.png

4 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

I'm no expert on volcanos, but a quick Googling does show calderas are not typically perfectly round. This one is the Santa Ana volcano in El Salvador:

image.png.76ee6b54908817894435d687704ac857.png

I think that actually is Kilimanjaro's caldera.

Global Volcanism Program | Kilimanjaro

Climb Mount Kilimanjaro. Serengeti Sons Safaris, Tanzania.

Global Volcanism Program | KilimanjaroCima Del Monte Kilimanjaro

In my youth my family spent many hours working at the welfare farm – something lost to current generations.  Often, we would spread manure – but it was called spreading sunshine.  The hymn “Spreading Sunshine” always causes me to smile with a little sense of humor.  Another hymn, “Who’s on the L-rd’s Side Who – confused me as a child.  I thought the words were, “Who’s on the L-rd’s Sivoo”  I had no idea what a “sivoo” was but I thought it was something like a safari.

One last thing from my childhood – In the hymn “Come Come ye Saints”  --  instead of singing, “Come come ye saints no toil nor labor fear” --- we would sing “Come come ye saints no toilet paper here”.  It made church a lot more fun.

The Traveler

One lyric I puzzled over for years was from the theme song to Top Cat. It sounded to me like:

"Presentelactual (?) close friends get to call him TC, providing it's waiting for tea."

Years layer I found out it was:

"Whose intellectual close friends get to call him TC, providing it's with dignity."

By the way, when I was a kid, the show was renamed Boss Cat in the UK, because of a name clash with a brand of cat food. An additional "Boss Cat" title card was added, and it was written "Boss Cat" in the TV listing, but it was still sung "Top Cat" in the theme song, and the character was called "Top Cat" (or TC) in the show, and us kids always referred to the show "Top Cat" so it was a bit pointless really.

image.png.c8118efe1abf23cf113fe0a8cfb09efa.png

Edited by Jamie123

6 hours ago, Traveler said:

One last thing from my childhood – In the hymn “Come Come ye Saints”  --  instead of singing, “Come come ye saints no toil nor labor fear” --- we would sing “Come come ye saints no toilet paper here”.  It made church a lot more fun.

This hymn puzzled me as a child. Instead of hearing 'Tis better far for us to strive, I heard tea's better far for us to strive, and that seemed to be inconsistent with my understanding of the Word of Wisdom