Wife is coming to Carol service

Jamie123

Wife texted to say she's coming to the church Carol service next Sunday and would I have a problem with that? Then she tells me how important it is to her and she's coming whether I have a problem or not. I told her that she has as much right to come to church as anyone and I have never tried to stop her coming to church. Which I haven't. She has not come to church since May, but that is her choice not mine. I have not stopped her.

But none of that changes the fact that I don't want to see her, so I've a good mind not to go, but if I don't go to the Carol service I will come over as a churlish ingrate who stays away from church Carol service just because he can't bear the sight of his wife. And anyway I am down to read one of the lessons.

But a lot can happen in a week. Maybe I'll have an accident and spend next weekend in hospital. Not that I would pray for an accident but if God could arrange for me to have one without it being my fault and without me actually praying for it (which would be wrong) I would owe him a big favour.

18 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

But a lot can happen in a week. Maybe I'll have an accident and spend next weekend in hospital. Not that I would pray for an accident but if God could arrange for me to have one without it being my fault and without me actually praying for it (which would be wrong) I would owe him a big favour.

I completely understand this desire.  FWIW, you already owe him a big favor.  Perhaps look at going and worshiping him through song as a means of thanking him.  If he can be humble enough to endure birth in a stable, perhaps you can endure knowing your wife is in the congregation.  Perhaps God will inspire very tall people to position themselves between you, or for lights to shine in your eyes so you can't see who's where, or something... :)

Whatever the case, prayers and best wishes for you, Jamie.  Hope you can enjoy the singing of Christmas hymns - we did that yesterday - the whole Sacrament meeting was just singing hymns (and hearing why so-n-so chose that hymn).

Sorry, realizing that probably sounded critical.  Was trying to point out that the Lord knows difficulty and can help us do difficult things - by focusing on him and through his grace, you can find the strength and humility to go and maybe even enjoy the service.  And perhaps God will extend a little extra help, too, but if not, let his grace be enough.

1 hour ago, Jamie123 said:

Wife texted to say she's coming to the church Carol service next Sunday and would I have a problem with that? Then she tells me how important it is to her and she's coming whether I have a problem or not. I told her that she has as much right to come to church as anyone and I have never tried to stop her coming to church. Which I haven't. She has not come to church since May, but that is her choice not mine. I have not stopped her.

But none of that changes the fact that I don't want to see her, so I've a good mind not to go, but if I don't go to the Carol service I will come over as a churlish ingrate who stays away from church Carol service just because he can't bear the sight of his wife. And anyway I am down to read one of the lessons.

What is a Carol Service?  How does one of the lessons relate to the Carol Service and why does any lesson rather than a specific lesson have anything to do your worship and personal sacrifice for what you believe?

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

What is a Carol Service?  How does one of the lessons relate to the Carol Service and why does any lesson rather than a specific lesson have anything to do your worship and personal sacrifice for what you believe?

The Traveler

I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of your question, but a carol service is an extra church meeting where the congregation sings carols. (Sorry its the autocorrect which makes it come up as Carol and not Carol. It thinks I'm talking about a person called Carol.) A christmas carol is a hymn sung at Christmas like  Once in Royal David's City or While Shepherds Wash their Socks...err...Watch their Flocks by Night or Hark the Herald Angels Sing or...well you know the sort of thing. The carols are interspersed by "lessons" which are usually Bible passages read out, or else other poems or readings to do with Christmas. Back in the day we had a choir and I used to sing tenor in it. ( It took me ages to learn the tenor lines, but once you learn them they stick.) Back in the day it was also by candlelight. The electric lights were turned off and everyone held a candle - we're not allowed to do that any more because the church is an ancient heritage site and there's a fire risk.

On 12/11/2023 at 8:03 PM, Jamie123 said:

But none of that changes the fact that I don't want to see her,

A heart breaking line to read, especially at this time of year. Although I don't know the context of what has caused this between you and your wife or even if that information is common knowledge around here but, I wish you well all the same.