New POTUS this year

prisonchaplain

On 2/27/2024 at 1:20 PM, prisonchaplain said:

I have a fantasy that involves Trump, Biden and CONTROL-ALT-DELETE. Then I wake up to a Dystopian world in which these two are the main candidates for POTUS. I used to call myself a conservative. Now I am moderately so. I really haven't changed, but the world and the Republicans have. For example, I believe that the US should support Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan. We should counter Chinese ambitions. I used to be considered a bit of a hawk and an anti-communist. Now, Trump and Tucker label me a globalist and say that folks like me (well, Ben Shapiro to be honest) don't love America. Of course, the alternative is Biden and Harris. So, I'm at a loss. Any counsel?

My counsel would be to search out better news sources. 

11 hours ago, laronius said:

Say what you will about Trump, he does indeed have many distasteful qualities. But at the end of the day the left promotes policies that are far more destructive of the family, society and the Constitution. Some of which are flat out EVIL. I personally cannot justify voting for that.

There are no good options right now (at least not viable ones) so we just have to decide, policy wise, what matters most. If we can't have it all, what is at the top of the list? For me there are a few deal maker/breakers, including:

They must support religious freedoms.

They must not support elective abortions.

They must be supportive of parent's rights in the education of their children.

They must be supportive of policies that strengthen and promote the nuclear family.

I'm sure there are others but these immediately come to mind. There are also many that aren't deal breakers but I still really really want.

But in each of these instances Trump is far more likely than Biden (or those who pull his strings) to support these types of policies. I didn't vote for Trump the first time because of the kind of person he is but I have to admit that he acted more Conservative than any other president since Reagan and actually fulfilled some campaign promises that others only promised. 

Exactly.  The media loves to portray him as an evil mastermind and some people swallow that hook, line, and sinker.

12 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I generally go to the Wall Street Journal, but sometimes read the Federalist, New York Post, and Real Clear Politics. What better source(s) do you have in mind?

LibsOfTiktok and Andy Ngo's Twitter account, because you're not nearly outraged enough at what some folks are doing.

www.nationalreview.com , because you were asking for a real answer.

7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

because you're not nearly outraged enough at what some folks are doing.

Lol.

I think moral outrage becomes self serving if that’s all someone does. No one has the energy to be outraged all the time. You’d pull a muscle or have a stroke eventually!   

National Review is good for conservative commentary and insights. What I like about the WSJ is that it's news section is rated as moderate, while its editorial section is moderately conservative. It hasn't joined the Trump Train, but still leans into a pro-America, pro-free enterprise perspective. It's faith friendly, though not specifically religious. I just searched and found out that The Weekly Standard still exists (editor = Bill Krystol). It's conservative, but I'm sure Trump would label it Globalist. I always remember one colleague saying that I cheated when it came to news because I read (rather than listen/watch). 😉

2 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

National Review is good for conservative commentary and insights. What I like about the WSJ is that it's news section is rated as moderate, while its editorial section is moderately conservative. It hasn't joined the Trump Train, but still leans into a pro-America, pro-free enterprise perspective. It's faith friendly, though not specifically religious. I just searched and found out that The Weekly Standard still exists (editor = Bill Krystol). It's conservative, but I'm sure Trump would label it Globalist. I always remember one colleague saying that I cheated when it came to news because I read (rather than listen/watch). 😉

I read all those in college, and I was called a “shill for the right”. Now, these are called “moderate or liberal.” Trump changed everything, sadly.  

5 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I just searched and found out that The Weekly Standard still exists (editor = Bill Krystol). It's conservative, but I'm sure Trump would label it Globalist.

Bill Kristol is one of the more outspoken anti-Trump Republicans, though he's not exactly a fan of Biden either.

On 3/4/2024 at 8:32 AM, NeuroTypical said:

LibsOfTiktok and Andy Ngo's Twitter account, because you're not nearly outraged enough at what some folks are doing.

www.nationalreview.com , because you were asking for a real answer.

I actually read the national review on occasion.  Not sure that's a good reason for outrage though.  I tend to get more outraged at things from the Daily Beast (or Huffington) than the National Review. 

Another decent site is military times though it's more focused on things dealing with the military. 

Off topic but you get gems like this story which could create interesting debates on who is right and who is wrong in the context of the story and/or event.

Man who crashed snowmobile into black hawk sues government for 9.5 million

Edited by JohnsonJones