President Gordon B. Hinkley has passed away

pam

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley has died. He was 97 years old.

President Gordon B. Hinckley, world leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was ordained and set apart as the 15th President of the Church on Sunday, March 12, 1995.

He had earlier served 14 years as a counselor in the First Presidency, the top governing body of the Church, and as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles for 20 years prior to that.

President Hinckley married Marjorie Pay in the Salt Lake Temple in 1937. They have five children. Sister Hinckley passed away 6 April 2004.

The exact cause of President Hinckley's death was not immediately released, but his health has been declining over the past two years due to a bout with cancer and complications of old age.

I just saw him this last year. In was about 2 weeks into a 13 country trip, he'd been all over the world and still had about 6 more places to go. He conducted and spoke at two meetings in the Anaheim "Disney" Pond with over 20,000 each and then conducted the Newport Beach Temple dedications. Hard to believe that a 95+ year man could do so much.

I first met him 30 years ago - he was old then. We were in the airport in Denver and he ambled over to us - again on his way home from having been working all over the world. He looked like he had been in the same suit for 10 days straight, yet he recognized as as LDS and tired though he was took his precious time to visit and wish us well.

Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley has passed away

January 27th, 2008 @ 8:00pm

(KSL News) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced moments ago that President Gordon B. Hinckley has died.

He was 97 years old and was the 15th president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Stay with KSL.com, Eyewitness News, and KSL Newsradio 102.7FM and 1160AM for the latest on this breaking story.

Personal loss for me. I loved the man and his spirit. But I am so happy for him personally, to be with his wife again, who I know he missed so much. And I am happy for him that his life's mission is over and he was 120% successful in it. There are glorious reunions happening on the other side of the veil tonight as a triumphant warrior returns home with honor.

when i served in the utah salt lake city mission. I was so blessed to see and hear from him in many other occasions as well. he was one of those people who you think will live on and on. but of course we all know that wont happen with anyone who is mortal. but only in our memories and in our hearts.