Animals

JcDean78

This might seem like a silly topic but I have never heard about a position from the Church on what happens to animals when they pass on.

Are animals,like dogs, simply organic machines that are here to be with us while on earth only or since they are alive do they too continue on in some way?

I ask because we recently lost a very beloved dog who was very much part of the family. My mother, who is a non member, was asking about going to Heaven and if our dog would be there waiting for us.

Personally, I would like to think the answer is yes but I have absolutly no understanding of how animals fit into any sort of plan nor do I know if such answers have ever been given to us.

Does anybody have any insight into this or perhaps some opinions for discussion?

I believe all living things have a purpose in life(I include the earth as whole as a living thing... I know that sounds funny but I have my reasons.) In my eyes if a dog fulfilles its purpose in life it will have a state of glory or purpose in the next life just like us. (Just they are not the same glory or purposes.) :)

I look forward to reading the article mentioned.

I believe our pets will go to heaven.

There is an interesting article at lds.org about this very topic. If you go to the website and do a search for "Will Robins go to Heaven" you can read it.

I searched under "animals resurrection" and a bunch of articles came up.

I don't think this is a insignificant question at all. I love my animals. Some of them feel like they are a part of my family. Why wouldn't I want to see them all again?

This might seem like a silly topic but I have never heard about a position from the Church on what happens to animals when they pass on.

Are animals,like dogs, simply organic machines that are here to be with us while on earth only or since they are alive do they too continue on in some way?

I ask because we recently lost a very beloved dog who was very much part of the family. My mother, who is a non member, was asking about going to Heaven and if our dog would be there waiting for us.

Personally, I would like to think the answer is yes but I have absolutly no understanding of how animals fit into any sort of plan nor do I know if such answers have ever been given to us.

Does anybody have any insight into this or perhaps some opinions for discussion?

I believe it is important to recognize the difference between animals and people and not get either mixed up. G-d gave man dominion over animals and has commanded man to love his fellow man as himself. It is most foolish to seek dominion over other people and have love and compassion for animals. We can and should have compassion over animals but not the same love and compassion we should have for children and neighbors.

To be honest I am disappointed with the value some have for their children when they consider animals as like members of their family. I grew up with deep respect for my childhood dog that saved my life. But that relationship is not the same as my eternal partner and wife to whom I am married to for eternity nor my children and parents to who I am sealed to for eternity.

I would also point out that it is man that is fallen not animals. Animals need no salvation or saving ordinances – they were not excommunicated from the garden of G-d nor have they violated G-d’s commandments.

The Traveler

This is about the only answer I have heard from the church

Question: "Do animals have spirits? If so, will they obtain the resurrection, and if so, where will they go?"

Answer: The simple answer is that animals do have spirits and that through the redemption made by our Savior they will come forth in the resurrection to enjoy the blessing of immortal life. The Bible as it has come to us through numerous translations and copies does not contain the information concerning the immortality of the animal world in the clearness which, without any doubt, it was invested with the pure inspiration of the revelations of the Lord. However, there are some passages which still remain bearing witness to the eternal nature of the animal world. Among these are the following:

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. . . .

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens,

And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. (Genesis 2:1, 4-5.)

Then, before death came upon the world, the Lord planted a garden for Adam and Eve and placed all manner of cattle and living creatures on the earth, as well as vegetation. When Adam transgressed the commandment, all things upon the earth became subject to death, as well as Adam and Eve, and the earth itself partook of this fall.

In the restoration of the original scriptures to the Prophet Joseph Smith we are given a clearer picture of conditions both before and after the fall. This is the account as it was written by Moses:

And now, behold, I say unto you, that these are the generations of the heaven and of the earth, when they were created, in the day that I, the Lord God, made the heaven and the earth.

And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. For I, the Lord God, had not caused it to rain upon the face of the earth. And I, the Lord God, had created all the children of men; and not yet a man to till the ground; for in heaven created I them; and there was not yet flesh upon the earth, neither in the water, neither in the air;

But I, the Lord God, spake, and there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. (Moses 3:4-6.)

Then to make the matter perfectly clear, the Lord added this:

And out of the ground made I, the Lord God, to grow every tree, naturally, that is pleasant to the sight of man; and man could behold it. And it became also a living soul. For it was spiritual in the day that I created it; for it remaineth in the sphere in which I, God created it, yea, even all things which I prepared for the use of man; and man saw that it was good for food. . . . (Ibid., 3:9.)

When the Lord revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith many things concerning the millennium and the events which should precede and follow it, he gave the following:

And again, verily, verily, I say unto you that when the thousand years are ended, and men again begin to deny their God, then will I spare the earth but for a little season;

And the end shall come, and the heaven and the earth shall be consumed and pass away, and there shall be a new heaven and a new earth.

For all old things shall pass away, and all things shall become new, even the heaven and the earth, and all the fulness thereof, both men and beasts, the fowls of the air, and the fishes of the sea;

And not one hair, neither mote, shall be lost, for it is the workmanship of mine hand. (D. & C. 29:22-25.)

While meeting with a group of the members of the Church one day in March 1832, the Prophet Joseph Smith was asked this question: "What are we to understand by the four beasts, spoken of in the same verse?" (i.e., Revelation 4:6.) His answer is as follows:

They are figurative expressions, used by the Revelator John, in describing heaven, the paradise of God, the happiness of man, and of beasts, and of creeping things, and of the fowls of the air; that which is spiritual being in the likeness of that which is temporal; and that which is temporal in the likeness of that which is spiritual; the spirit of man in the likeness of his person, as also the spirit of the beast, and every other creature which God has created. (Ibid., 77:2.)

Again when commenting on the Revelation of John, the Prophet said:

John saw curious looking beasts in heaven, he saw every creature that was in heaven . . . actually there, giving glory to God. How do you prove it? (See Rev. 5:13.) "And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever."

I suppose John saw beings there of a thousand forms, that had been saved from ten thousand times ten thousand earths like this,—strange beasts of which we have no conception: all might be seen in heaven. The grand secret was to show John what there was in heaven. John learned that God glorified Himself by saving all that His hands had made, whether beasts, fowls, fishes or men; and he will glorify Himself with them.

Says one, "I cannot believe in the salvation of beasts." Any man who will tell you that this could not be, would tell you that the revelations are not true. John heard the words of the beasts giving glory to God, and understood them. God who made the beasts could understand every language spoken by them. The four beasts were four of the most noble animals that had filled the measure of their creation, and had been saved from other worlds, because they were perfect: they were like angels in their sphere. We are not told where they came from, and I do not know; but they were seen and heard by John praising and glorifying God. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 291-292.)

As to where the beasts, birds, and fish, and all other creatures will go after the resurrection we can only express an opinion. John saw many of them in heaven in the presence of God. It is very probable that they, like mankind, will be distributed in the various kingdoms, celestial, terrestrial, and telestial. We may well believe that in each of these kingdoms such creatures will be assigned.

(Joseph Fielding Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 5 vols. [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1957-1966], 2: 50.)

I believe it is important to recognize the difference between animals and people and not get either mixed up. G-d gave man dominion over animals and has commanded man to love his fellow man as himself. It is most foolish to seek dominion over other people and have love and compassion for animals. We can and should have compassion over animals but not the same love and compassion we should have for children and neighbors.

To be honest I am disappointed with the value some have for their children when they consider animals as like members of their family. I grew up with deep respect for my childhood dog that saved my life. But that relationship is not the same as my eternal partner and wife to whom I am married to for eternity nor my children and parents to who I am sealed to for eternity.

I would also point out that it is man that is fallen not animals. Animals need no salvation or saving ordinances – they were not excommunicated from the garden of G-d nor have they violated G-d’s commandments.

The Traveler

There are some people in this world who hold the value of animals to be equal and in some cases greater than the life of a human. That is not at all what I am talking about here though.

I certainly am not trying to elevate a dog or cat to the same position as my children, parents, etc. But these loyal and lovable creatures as their own personality and bond with us. They do become just like family but that does not mean they are equal to that of my children or even close.

Again I totally understand where you are coming from because I have met people who do value animals over or equal to humans but that is not what I am talking about here.

What I want to know is if the dogs from my life can be with me in Heaven and I believe from what we have found in this thread the answer is yes.

There are some people in this world who hold the value of animals to be equal and in some cases greater than the life of a human. That is not at all what I am talking about here though.

I certainly am not trying to elevate a dog or cat to the same position as my children, parents, etc. But these loyal and lovable creatures as their own personality and bond with us. They do become just like family but that does not mean they are equal to that of my children or even close.

Again I totally understand where you are coming from because I have met people who do value animals over or equal to humans but that is not what I am talking about here.

What I want to know is if the dogs from my life can be with me in Heaven and I believe from what we have found in this thread the answer is yes.

I am very fond of dogs and for a part of my life I worked in a kennel as trainer. The bond and companionship with an animal can be good and valuable but often people mistake loyalty in dogs with their pack instincts. As much as someone may be fond of their pet, abandoning many dogs while you go to work can be very hard on the dog. Often pet owners see such relationships only from their side of things and what they get out of it; thinking that their pet has no adjustments. Often children, especially toddlers are difficult adjustments for pets. Not long ago a 2 year old child was mauled by a dog and the parent said they would keep the dog because the attack was the fault of the child. Likely true but such a parent should not be attempting to mix the two in a family setting and should get rid of either the child or the dog.

Would you mind clarifying what you mean when you say a pet is part of your family? For example do you have pre-determined limits for your pet?

BTW: I believe we can and should exercise beneficial stewardships over the animals G-d has blessed us with - but I believe it is important to recognize that they belong to him and not us - both while we are here on earth and if we someday exercise the opportunity to live with our Father in heaven.

The Traveler

Part of the family as being with us on trips, family gatherings, hangs with us when we watch TV or plays with the kids. When long distance family calls or emails, they not only ask about the humans in the house but also the dog as well.

The dog obviously has many rules and is well trained so its not like he has free reign of the house and sleeps in a crate at night. But he is loved and part of our group. Since I work from home, he is never left alone for more than a couple hours tops.

my first dog was a little Jack Russell who lived to the ripe old age of at least 20 - she was an amazingly spiritual little dog would sit by me when I prayed, and when I got married she recognised the priesthood in my husband in many ways,

Before she died she was given a priesthood blessing, that said Heavenly Father was very pleased with her, she could now move on knowing that I would be looked after by my husband and that she had fulfilled all expectations He had of her. She would die warm and surrounded by those that loved her and he would be delighted to see her back with Him. Not sure how much was for me but I loved the blessing she got.

-Charley

If we are in consensus that animals follow the same human principle of resurrection and knowing it is enforce today since Christ was first resurrected [see John 10:17-18, Matt 27:52-53, & 3 Nephi 23:9-10] , why are we still seeing dinosaurs’ remains [random selection of species here]? Why they are not resurrected?

ANIMAL RESURRECTION

Joseph Smith developed a concern for animals through his efforts at revising the Bible. Whereas William Metcalfe of the Bible Christians altered the punctuation of Genesis 9:5, the Prophet changed it dramatically to read: "And surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands." This concept of being judged for our treatment of animals was repeated in the Doctrine and Covenants 49:21 (interestingly intended as a response to Shaker doctrine but given before they practiced vegetarianism). Zion's Camp offered the first practical application of this principle when they were confronted with rattlesnakes on at least two occasions. Joseph Smith and Brigham Young both advised the avoidance of harm to the snakes.

When the Prophet questioned the meaning of animals in heaven as described in Revelation 4, the Lord taught the Prophet a reason for concern. Animals do have spirits, they will be resurrected, enjoy eternal felicity being "full of knowledge,"and have power to move about the heavens.(D&C 77:2-4) Preaching a sermon on the subject of animal resurrection, Joseph Smith touched the heart of Jedediah Grant, who had believed John Wesley but had not found a proponent until then.

Reverence for life has always been present in sermons and writings of Latter-day Saint leaders. In fact, they stand out as a peculiar people in the Christian world today. Brigham Young led out strongly in sustaining Joseph Smith's advocacy of reverence for animal life. Reproving hunters for killing more than they could eat, he taught that "these creatures of God" were to be treated with kindness so that "peace [will] increase, and the savage nature of the brute creation [will] vanish away." His counsel to a man with a dying horse "never to destroy life" found echo in the words of President Joseph F. Smith. President Smith, the most prolific advocate of the humane movement among the Church's presidents, instituted a humane day program in the Sunday School for the first Sunday in February. For many years the February issue of the Juvenile Instructor carried up to twenty pages of humane material. Its founder and longtime editor and publisher, George Q. Cannon, counselor to three presidents of the Church, has been the strongest advocate for reverence for animal life in the Church's history. President David O. McKay, Joseph Fielding Smith, and Spencer W. Kimball have all made strong pleas for a concern for animal life. (Spencer J. Palmer, ed., Deity and Death, p.115-116)

The Traveler

Some quotes from Genesis:

"And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them." Genesis 6:7

"And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth." Genesis 6:12

In the Garden, God gave grains, fruits and green plants to be the food of all living things (Gen. 1:29,30). After the Fall, the earth became filled with violence, including the eating of flesh by both men and beasts. After the Flood, God established His "rainbow covenant" with both men and beasts, giving them a new allowance to consume flesh "because the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth" (Gen. 8:21). In the Millennium, though, when Christ returns, the nature of the animals (and presumably man) will be returned to its original innocence - "The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD." Isa. 65:25

Obviously, the beasts did become corrupted. However, I do not believe they can be held accountable for that, since they have limited free will and function mostly by instinct (as far as we currently know). The current physiology of carnivores clearly requires a diet of flesh to maintain life. But Scripture tells us this was not always the case and will not be the case in the future. Whether they require some kind of salvation, I cannot say. But Francis of Assisi preached to the birds and beasts; who knows what merit there may be in that? Several passages in the New Testament state that Christ died for "the sins of the whole world". We allow that Christ's sacrifice covers those who are not accountable, including children and the mentally impaired; surely the "dumb beasts" fall into that category, having their "sins" covered by reason of unaccountability. Then again, perhaps each species has its own missionaries, spreading the good news. :D

If we are in consensus that animals follow the same human principle of resurrection and knowing it is enforce today since Christ was first resurrected [see John 10:17-18, Matt 27:52-53, & 3 Nephi 23:9-10] , why are we still seeing dinosaurs’ remains [random selection of species here]? Why they are not resurrected?

The resurrection is to a body of "finer matter", not the gross matter we currently inhabit. See D&C 131:7,8.

• 3 years later...

I have had few profound experiences of dogs that have entered the spirit world. The first occurred in 1994 while my dog was being kept over night at the vets. I was lying in bed when a peaceful feeling came over me and I went into a trance like sleep for a matter of seconds. I appeared to be looking across a narrow river in a bright moonlight setting. A glowing figure of a man walked out from the wooded background and stood at the bank and called, what I believe was my dog by an unusual name .The dream or vision then closed and I awoke. I believe I was seeing this thruogh the dogs eyes has there was a lack of colour about it. Must of been some sort of entry point into the spirit world. Was'nt supprised when I got the phone call from the vets in the morning that he had passed away.

Even if the prophets had not spoken about it, there's no question in my mind that animals have spirits. For one thing, how could they be alive if they didn't? But beyond that, having been around animals and interacted with them, I can just tell--they most definitely DO have spirits! (And I love them! :))

Ok, I'm going to get soft, so brace yourselves.

I'm not a cat lover at all, but I grew up with a cat with big orange splotches we named Mishi. He was the runt of the litter and I loved that cat like non other. He was always cuddling with me during some of the worst times. I would absolutely LOVE to be reunited with my Mishi.