Curious Delivery Tonight

StrawberryFields

I live near Salt Lake City Utah and we get hit with many interesting things based on location. Tonight I was walking past my front door and saw a vehicle parked in front of my house. I paused as a saw a middle aged woman get out with some baggies with a small book inside and she was approaching my front door. I took it to be someone delivering a new phone book like the small ones ppl keep in their car. I took a second look as I saw that another woman was sitting in the vehicle still but then went about my business. A short time later my daughter walked through the front door calling to me that she had a book for me that was left at the front door. She handed me the baggie that I had seen the woman carrying and said "Mom is there something we need to talk about". The book is called His Favorite Wife Trapped in Polygamy. This is no small book (434 pages) and I wonder why they have chosen my street to deliver these books to0...

Has anyone heard of this book? I did a google search and came up with a website. Did anyone else get this book delivered tonight?

I just looked through the book starting from the back, so typical of me. LOL

There are some really nice color photos in the back and stuffed in to the front was a note.

This book is a gift to you!

Hello! I’m Susan Ray Schmidt, author of

His Favorite Wife:

Trapped in Polygamy

Word of mouth has generated most of my book sales. I’m hoping you or a friend will read it, enjoy it, and recommend it to a friend.

The woman I saw delivering the book last night was indeed the author Susan Ray Schmidt.

I live near Salt Lake City Utah and we get hit with many interesting things based on location. Tonight I was walking past my front door and saw a vehicle parked in front of my house. I paused as a saw a middle aged woman get out with some baggies with a small book inside and she was approaching my front door. I took it to be someone delivering a new phone book like the small ones ppl keep in their car. I took a second look as I saw that another woman was sitting in the vehicle still but then went about my business. A short time later my daughter walked through the front door calling to me that she had a book for me that was left at the front door. She handed me the baggie that I had seen the woman carrying and said "Mom is there something we need to talk about". The book is called His Favorite Wife Trapped in Polygamy. This is no small book (434 pages) and I wonder why they have chosen my street to deliver these books to0...

Has anyone heard of this book? I did a google search and came up with a website. Did anyone else get this book delivered tonight?

Beside killing branches [paper] from a tree, what purpose does it serve for that church being ignorant of LDS facts?

Beside killing branches from a tree, what purpose does it serve for that church being ignorant of LDS facts?

Your post wins the non-sequitur of the year award.

Schmidt wrote about her personal story of living in, and escaping, a polygamist cult. That has nothing to do with the LDS Church, and as far as I can tell she doesn't say it is. Of course, I don't know for sure as I haven't read the book.

But I have just read a number of reviews, including a book signing. Not once does it say she mention the LDS Church, so I can't think of a reason for you to suspect she did.

She also talks about organizations that are working together to form safe havens for those who want to escape the polygamous cults, including children.

I'd gladly use reams and reams of paper if it helps young girls and boys get out of that insanity.

Elphaba

Schmidt wrote about her personal story of living in, and escaping, a polygamist cult. That has nothing to do with the LDS Church, and as far as I can tell she doesn't say it is. Of course, I don't know for sure as I haven't read the book.

But I have just read a number of reviews, including a book signing. Not once does it say she mention the LDS Church, so I can't think of a reason for you to suspect she did.

She also talks about organizations that are working together to form safe havens for those who want to escape the polygamous cults, including children.

I'd gladly use reams and reams of paper if it helps young girls and boys get out of that insanity.

Elphaba

Appreciate the candor remarks and review of the book! :D I stand corrected.

Me too!! I googled the book and I want to read it...

Fields when you're done with it can I borrow it?? ;) Or tell the author to come by my house and drop off a copy... in England :D LOL

you could scan the pages and email them one by one, or post them to be read a page a day...

but you might need permission from the author

Elphaba

Emma.....at first I was really scared....thinking you had read this book....then you made me feel better when you stated you had not read this yet....:D:D

Emma.....at first I was really scared....thinking you had read this book....then you made me feel better when you stated you had not read this yet....:D:D

Pale LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elphaba is quite a book reader, that is one of the things I love most about her.:D I think she should have this book and I don't even need to mail it to her.

Oh I forgot to mention that on that page stuffed into the front cover from the author it reads....

Go to the website his favorite wife and enter a discount code "FREE" to recieve free shipping.:D:D

I could be wrong, but if same-sex marriage becomes nationally available, polygamy is next. After all, it has historical and religious precedence (I'm thinking more of Islamic countries than LDS-off-shoot sects).

I agree. I believe Texas v. Lawrence opened the door to legalizing polygamy.

I also believe polygamy never should have been illegal as it is a clear violation of First Amendment rights.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if the Church's First Amendment rights to practice polygamy had not been violated by the federal government, i.e., polygamy would have been legal.

I am not talking about what would have happened had President Woodruff still have received the revelations that resulted in the 1890 and 1940 Manifestos, ending polygamy in the LDS Church.

What I wonder is if those who did not believe God had commanded the end of polygamy and therefore continued the practice, would still have taken the same paths as the current fundamentalist schisms.

Would they still have become isolationist, abusive, corrupt, controlling, and so terrifying to leave there are safe houses popping up all over the state for people who do escape?

Or, would they have just fit into the world, as a different Church, much like the Church of Christ, formerly The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints?

Elphaba

Appreciate the candor remarks and review of the book! :D I stand corrected.

And I stand like a grumpy know-it-all. I still stand by the substance of my post, but I didn't need to be so ingracious about it.

I can't determine if your use of "candor" is serious or sarcastic.

Perhaps a bit of both--as is deserved.

Elphaba