who is right the lds or the Flds??

lostnfound

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this post somewhat curious. What is a priestcraft? schooled in witnessing to mormons? It was an honest question I was curious about in light of the News!!

The only thing someone needs to schooled in and the only thing..is the bible. By the way I have never read a testomony like that.. I am going to write it down..:)seriously..where is your witness that the holy scriptures are true..or that Jesus christ is your lord and savior? Is that also apart of lds testomony or does everyone have a different one?

Hey Lostnfound, Why don't you bear your testimony? it's not cool to mock someone else's, especially since it is a deep and personal professing of one's belief from their heart.

So if you believe EVERYTHING we need is solely in the bible, How come the Christian world can't agree on it's interpretations.

I have a friend who relies on biblical evidence for his faith. He does not believe in personal revelation from God. He discredits my Faith in Christ because, like you, he says we can't rely on our feelings. It is obvious to me then that he has not had the intense burning inside of the witness of truth from the Holy Ghost, because it is a feeling, an awesome feeling.

He spends his time in the prophecies of the bible (specifically Daniel), looking for evidence of Noahs ark, Trying to explain the biblical description of the creation,

Looking for the evidence to justify his belief.

Faith is not based on evidence otherwise you will require more evidence to increase/justify your faith, It is 'a belief in something that cannot be seen', Hence you are required to Trust first, and then receive your witness of truth.

So he continues on his way, sends me DNA vs the Book of Mormon, tells me I can't rely on 'things I feel', and says all I need is the bible and nothing else, and I feel sorry for him. While he spends all his time trying to prove other religions wrong to justify his, All I do is invite him to read the BOM, I don't tell him his beliefs are wrong etc. But he won't, He has closed his mind to anything else, and If he did choose to read it, it would probably be to try to prove it wrong.

If his faith is completely in Christ, Then what harm can it do, to read the BOM with an open heart to Christ, and pray to Him in honesty, truth and humility and Faith in Him, if it is more of His Word or not? With Faith that God would let him know (but then again He doesn't trust his feelings and so doesn't believe in personal revelation)

As the Good book says' the witness comes after the trial of your faith'. And from my experience that witness is not a just feeling, but a voice, A burning, and a feeling of Love, Comfort, and peace that is far beyond anything I have felt before then or since then.

So should I trust this witness? or should I trust what My friend says, which is what you say: Nothing but the bible, Don't trust your feelings?

If they live within the law and do not force their children to marry then I think they should be allowed to live their own lifestyle even though I don't agree with it.

It's against the law. Why don't you think that people should be compelled to live the law of the land?

In light of what is going on in Texas I am curious as to what current members of the lds church think of the Flds. Do you agree with their lifestyle? Are they closer the truth of what joseph smith taught? Any thoughts..

It doesn't matter anymore as the Lord told his people (LDS) to quit the practice of polygamy. Is that so hard to understand?

We believe that the authority to act in God's name, etc is found only in the LDS church.

Regarding plural marriage, per lds.org--

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. At certain times and for His specific purposes, God, through His prophets, has directed the practice of plural marriage (sometimes called polygamy), which means one man having more than one living wife at the same time. In obedience to direction from God, Latter-day Saints followed this practice for about 50 years during the 1800s but officially ceased the practice of such marriages after the Manifesto was issued by President Woodruff in 1890. Since that time, plural marriage has not been approved by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and any member adopting this practice is subject to losing his or her membership in the Church.

The Bible indicates that Abraham, Jacob, and others of the Lord’s servants had multiple wives (see Genesis 16:1–3; 29:23–30; 30:4, 9; Judges 8:30; 1 Samuel 1:1–2). Joseph Smith asked God why He had permitted this practice and was told that God had commanded it for specific purposes. One reason given by the Lord for plural marriage is mentioned in the Book of Mormon: “If I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall [have only one wife]” (Jacob 2:30; see also v. 27).

After God revealed the doctrine of plural marriage to Joseph Smith in 1831 and commanded him to live it, the Prophet, over a period of years, cautiously taught the doctrine to some close associates. Eventually, he and a small number of Church leaders entered into plural marriages in the early years of the Church. Those who practiced plural marriage at that time, both male and female, experienced a significant trial of their faith. The practice was so foreign to them that they needed and received personal inspiration from God to help them obey the commandment.

When the Saints moved west under the direction of Brigham Young, more Latter-day Saints entered into plural marriages.

Influenced by rumors and exaggerated reports, the United States Congress, beginning in 1862, enacted a series of laws against polygamy that became increasingly harsh. By the 1880s many Latter-day Saint men were imprisoned or went into hiding.

In 1889 in the face of increasing hardships and the threat of government confiscation of Church property, including temples, Wilford Woodruff, President of the Church at the time, prayed for guidance. He was inspired to issue a document that officially ended the sanction of plural marriage by the Church. The document, called the Manifesto, was accepted by Church members in a general conference held in October 1890 and is published in the Doctrine and Covenants as Official Declaration 1 (see also “Excerpts from Three Addresses by President Wilford Woodruff Regarding the Manifesto” following Official Declaration 1).

Just as the practice of plural marriage among the Latter-day Saints began gradually, the ending of the practice after the Manifesto was also gradual. Some plural marriages were performed after the Manifesto, particularly in Mexico and Canada. In 1904, President Joseph F. Smith called for a vote from the Church membership that all post-Manifesto plural marriages be prohibited worldwide.

More recently, President Gordon B. Hinckley has reiterated that plural marriage is “against the law of God. Even in countries where civil or religious law allows [the practice of a man having more than one wife], the Church teaches that marriage must be monogamous and does not accept into its membership those practicing plural marriage” (“What Are People Asking about Us?” Ensign, Nov. 1998, 72).

Groups who teach polygamy today are not part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - What Are People Asking about Us?

LDS.org - Ensign Article - This Thing Was Not Done in a Corner

Guest User-Removed

My understanding of Priestcraft also includes anyone who is using the preaching of the word for personal gain; financial and otherwise.

Correctamundo!!!!

Guest User-Removed

Perhaps it might help for you to understand that many approach us pretending to ask questions but my have an other hidden agendas. Some come out in open protest. Some come to prove we are wrong. Many of the arguments you have used are very typical conversations that don't always end in the best of feelings. And with this being a less than personal medium of communication, it gets more difficult to discern the intensions of one another. THere are many that see these conversations as "practice" or to find ways to dismantle the position of the LDS church. We find those tactics tedious if not insulting. Because you are entering a ministry, and because you seem very enthusiastic about that and pointing out where we are wrong, you may find that some don't trust your intensions. We will answer a genuine question. Glad to do so. But sometimes, we feel like it just opens the door to further argument with little in the way of true listening and understanding. Some make it a hobby to find ways to argue with us. Make sense?

Amen...and AMEN...Mss...

Let me post a few links to back up my earlier post...

Now...Don't y'all run out and buy this....

How to Witness to a Mormon - Yahoo! Shopping

Most Born Again's utilize the "Lie upon Lie...Decept upon Decept"...They're taught that all is fair game when "witnessing to Mormons"...

NOW...Under full disclosure, this post is NOT intended to cast aspersions upon lostnfound. Why we'll just have to "agree to disagree", the examples I'll be posting are not directed toward him/her.

Here's on of my favorites....

Apologetic Resources for Witnessing to Mormons

Check out our Latter-Day Saints section on what Mormons believe.

Kingdom of the Cults by Dr. Walter Martin

Mormons--How to witness to Mormons by John Farkas

The God Makers by Ed Decker and Dave Hunt

Reasoning From The Scriptures With The Mormons by Ron Rhodes

The Late Walter Martin was a liar and a cheat when it came to his ability to lie about the Church.

Ed Decker....Hmmmmmmm...What can I say about this adulterer and spouse abuser that most LDS don't already know?????

This is another belly chuckler....

5-When they give their testimony, interrupt them. Make a noise by dropping a book, etc., to bring them out of their trance. Pay attention to their eyes because they will usually dilate during ‘bearing of their testimony’....

More from the same site....

10-While praying never allow the Mormon to do the praying. Remember they’re not worshipping the God of the Bible. You take the authority and introduce them to the idea of holding hands while praying. It is unsettling to the Mormon, but show them with love how it is done. Remember that body language speaks louder than words at times.

2-Remember they’ve given up their spirit, albeit unknowingly at times, to Ba’al.

Tips on Witnessing - Life After Ministries

Here's another reference to "How To Witness To Mormons"

http://www.challengemin.org/WITNESS.PDF

Here's the forward to the book...anyone recognize the author????

FORWARD

This year over 400,000 people will join the

LDS Church. Will one of them be your neighbor? If

a Mormon family moved into your neighborhood

would you be informed enough on their beliefs to be

able to witness to them?

This book presents solid information on

Mormon beliefs contrasted with the Bible, in an

easily understood format. By studying this resource,

a Christian will be ready to “give an answer to every

man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in

you with meekness and fear.” (1 Peter 3:15)

Sandra Tanner

Utah Lighthouse Ministry

1358 S. West Temple

Salt Lake City, UT 84115

OK...now for the fun...Here are "Good Christians" witnessing to use gawdless marmons...

YouTube - Re: Street Preachers @ Hill Cumorah

I love this one...exmo James Lyman (James Lieman) and vicious Street Preacher, Kevin Deegan...

YouTube - Street Preachers @ Hill Cumorah

Here is Reuben Israel...a foul filthy Street Preacher, who keeps a BoM on a string, then casts it to the ground and challenges all to pick it up...

During the April Conference of 2008...Reuben stood at the Temple Gate, waving a pair of purloined G's...Screaming..."Here's your Mormon God...Burn in Hell filthy Mormons"

Lastly...Here's a little bit of animated hatred...brought to you by Ed Decker...

YouTube - Cartoon Expose of Mormon Doctrine

lostnfound...Let me leave you with this...I know that Jesus is the only begotten of our God and Father. I know that Jesus, came to earth and ransomed himself for my salvation. I know that Jesus is my Savior...I know that if I live righteously, and abide by his commandments...through his atonement...I'll (and all of us will be saved)

I lived daily in the knowledge that it is only through the atonement I'll be saved.

Likewise, I know that God the Father and his only begotten appeared to a young lad and promised him the fullness of the Gospel. I know that Joseph is and was a Prophet called of God to restore his primitive Church. I've had a witness that the Gospel is true, that Peter, James and John restored the keys and authority to the Prophet Joseph. Likewise I know that Thomas S. Monson is Christ's Prophet, Seer and Revelator here in this modern days.

Lostnfound...I testify to you, that if you'll but open your heart and pray about the veracity of the Restoration...God will answer your prayers...

Christ lives...We know this without a doubt. The everlasting blessings of the Restoration are yous...all you need to do, is come to Heavenly Father with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. The ball is in your court...Know Jesus...Know peace and salvation...NO Jesus...No Peace...

I give you my testimony, that Jesus lives...and I say this humbly in the name of Jesus Christ...AMEN

I've seen the protesters at temple square whenever I've gone to general conference. A huge contrast to the kind of missionary work I did for two years in Germany. When I witnessed to others, it was with love and compassion. If other disagreed with me we still parted as friends because I made friends with them first. I made friends with Jehova's Witnesses, Catholics, Lutherans and more.

Satan has greater tools to deceive people, even Mormons and that is to subtly exploit our weaknesses until we end up sinning and falling astray. That is his cunning way. Loud obnoxious preachers hardly do it.

In light of what is going on in Texas I am curious as to what current members of the lds church think of the Flds. Do you agree with their lifestyle? Are they closer the truth of what joseph smith taught? Any thoughts..

We believe that members of the FLDS are children of God. Do we agree with their lifestyle?

Article of Faith 11:

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

It's against the law. Why don't you think that people should be compelled to live the law of the land?

Don't forget Article Of Faith 12

"We believe in being subject to kings. presidents, rulers and magistrates in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

The law says polygamy is wrong. That's all there is to it.

Yes, I agree with you both. That's why I said if they are living within the law and not forcing their children to marry.............. The thing is, if someone who wasn't a member of the FLDS married a woman by the law of the land, and had children, then stayed with her and took a mistress and had children with the mistress, then stayed loyal to the wife and the mistress and took another mistress and had children by her ad infinitum they wouldn't actually be breaking the law and the nothing would be done to take the children away from the mothers would it?

These polygamists are only legally married to one wife and 'spiritually' married to the others which in law is no different to having a mistress.

That is why I think it's a bit of wobbly ground and unless the children have been abused then the state has been heavy handed and could end up with serious legal problems.

I am not saying here that I support the lifestyle choice of the FLDS, just that the legal ground seems a bit shaky unless all these children are being forced into sexual intercourse under the legal age of consent.

I was thinking about this this morning and wondered where the law stands over there regarding Jehovah's witnesses who refuse blood transfusions. If they refuse to permit a child to have a life saving blood transfusion does the law step in and force them?

My personal opinion is this: This is exactly why God has prophets and apostles. He foresaw all these problems and told President Woodruff to put an end to a practice that was no longer needed. This is why the Bible says, "By their fruits, ye shall know them."

It is my understanding that the issue in Texas concerning the children equates to sexual abuse. This due to the practice of male members having sex with underage (under legal age) women/girls. The second issue is that the "victims" are being forced to have sex and/or children against their will.

If these allegations are true, then it is an abomination.

Amen...and AMEN...Mss...

Let me post a few links to back up my earlier post...

Now...Don't y'all run out and buy this....

How to Witness to a Mormon - Yahoo! Shopping

Most Born Again's utilize the "Lie upon Lie...Decept upon Decept"...They're taught that all is fair game when "witnessing to Mormons"...

NOW...Under full disclosure, this post is NOT intended to cast aspersions upon lostnfound. Why we'll just have to "agree to disagree", the examples I'll be posting are not directed toward him/her.

Here's on of my favorites....

Apologetic Resources for Witnessing to Mormons

Check out our Latter-Day Saints section on what Mormons believe.

Kingdom of the Cults by Dr. Walter Martin

Mormons--How to witness to Mormons by John Farkas

The God Makers by Ed Decker and Dave Hunt

Reasoning From The Scriptures With The Mormons by Ron Rhodes

The Late Walter Martin was a liar and a cheat when it came to his ability to lie about the Church.

Ed Decker....Hmmmmmmm...What can I say about this adulterer and spouse abuser that most LDS don't already know?????

This is another belly chuckler....

5-When they give their testimony, interrupt them. Make a noise by dropping a book, etc., to bring them out of their trance. Pay attention to their eyes because they will usually dilate during ‘bearing of their testimony’....

More from the same site....

10-While praying never allow the Mormon to do the praying. Remember they’re not worshipping the God of the Bible. You take the authority and introduce them to the idea of holding hands while praying. It is unsettling to the Mormon, but show them with love how it is done. Remember that body language speaks louder than words at times.

2-Remember they’ve given up their spirit, albeit unknowingly at times, to Ba’al.

Tips on Witnessing - Life After Ministries

Here's another reference to "How To Witness To Mormons"

http://www.challengemin.org/WITNESS.PDF

Here's the forward to the book...anyone recognize the author????

FORWARD

This year over 400,000 people will join the

LDS Church. Will one of them be your neighbor? If

a Mormon family moved into your neighborhood

would you be informed enough on their beliefs to be

able to witness to them?

This book presents solid information on

Mormon beliefs contrasted with the Bible, in an

easily understood format. By studying this resource,

a Christian will be ready to “give an answer to every

man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in

you with meekness and fear.” (1 Peter 3:15)

Sandra Tanner

Utah Lighthouse Ministry

1358 S. West Temple

Salt Lake City, UT 84115

OK...now for the fun...Here are "Good Christians" witnessing to use gawdless marmons...

YouTube - Re: Street Preachers @ Hill Cumorah

I love this one...exmo James Lyman (James Lieman) and vicious Street Preacher, Kevin Deegan...

YouTube - Street Preachers @ Hill Cumorah

Here is Reuben Israel...a foul filthy Street Preacher, who keeps a BoM on a string, then casts it to the ground and challenges all to pick it up...

During the April Conference of 2008...Reuben stood at the Temple Gate, waving a pair of purloined G's...Screaming..."Here's your Mormon God...Burn in Hell filthy Mormons"

Lastly...Here's a little bit of animated hatred...brought to you by Ed Decker...

YouTube - Cartoon Expose of Mormon Doctrine

lostnfound...Let me leave you with this...I know that Jesus is the only begotten of our God and Father. I know that Jesus, came to earth and ransomed himself for my salvation. I know that Jesus is my Savior...I know that if I live righteously, and abide by his commandments...through his atonement...I'll (and all of us will be saved)

I lived daily in the knowledge that it is only through the atonement I'll be saved.

Likewise, I know that God the Father and his only begotten appeared to a young lad and promised him the fullness of the Gospel. I know that Joseph is and was a Prophet called of God to restore his primitive Church. I've had a witness that the Gospel is true, that Peter, James and John restored the keys and authority to the Prophet Joseph. Likewise I know that Thomas S. Monson is Christ's Prophet, Seer and Revelator here in this modern days.

Lostnfound...I testify to you, that if you'll but open your heart and pray about the veracity of the Restoration...God will answer your prayers...

Christ lives...We know this without a doubt. The everlasting blessings of the Restoration are yous...all you need to do, is come to Heavenly Father with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. The ball is in your court...Know Jesus...Know peace and salvation...NO Jesus...No Peace...

I give you my testimony, that Jesus lives...and I say this humbly in the name of Jesus Christ...AMEN

Thank you for telling them to not attack me personally for these resources do not reflect my testimony to you..of What Jesus Christ has done in my life..and the Grace he has bestowed upon me. If I wanted to get a scripted responce I could just pull up any of these books but like I said before people are way more complex then a book. :):)

We believe that members of the FLDS are children of God. Do we agree with their lifestyle?

Article of Faith 11:

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

I am glad you shared this because I really do agree with this position.... but only to a point. IF children are being sexually abused and harmed in unlawful ways, it is absolutely the duty of the state to intercede.

I have heard about boys being found wandering and lost in cities like St. George Utah. There were too many boys in the polygamist communities and so they blindfolded them and left them to wander alone and on their own in a completely foreign circumstance. Outrageous behavior! And it just isn't right.

I do believe in allowing others to worship according to the dictates of their hearts. But I also believe in protecting the virtual and emotional health of children. I agree too, that it is a controversial and emotional subject.

I agree and I agree with those who have said that polygamy is wrong. But what does the law do about those who aren't legally wedded to their multiple spouses? In other words, the men live with their multiple wives, who's "marriages" are only recognized by their church practice?

It is an unfortunate world where people find loopholes to escape the law. I've learned today in the news that the girl who made that fateful phone call (Texas has yet to find that mystery caller) may have absolutely nothing to do with the FLDS, but is a woman who has made similar calls with other names and claims to have a multiple personality disorder.

There's a huge mess with the civil rights of the FLDS. Yes we believe in Article of Faith 12, but what is to stop some demented person from calling the police in Utah and saying that she is inside the LDS Salt Lake Temple and being raped a Mormon bishop and managed to escape into another room? What would the SLCPD do? Storm the temple? Get my drift?

There's a process to the law and the state of Texas screwed up...or did they? It is unfortunate that it is the children of the FLDS who are having to suffer and that their civil rights may have been violated.

Hence my previous reply to the original question. Yes, polygamy is against the law as defined by law and I personally believe that the FLDS faith is flawed and incorrect. But how is the FLDS church circumventing that law? It's just a sticky mess.

I. But how is the FLDS church circumventing that law? It's just a sticky mess.

It is my understanding that the issue isn't polygamy (multiple wives) but one of child abuse and sexual abuse.

One way FLDS get around the law as it pertains to polygamy is that they only lawfully marry one women, and the remainder of their harem they are not lawfully married to but simply live with them. Thus they are not married multiple times.

However, the pregnated girls/women are/were underage at the time of conception.

Some were allegedly raped and or made to do something against their will including living with someone whom they do not love or they were not given the freedom to choose their mate.

P.S. What do I know though, as you can tell from my picture I am still very young in my knowledge. :)

lilred, I agree. It is very unfortunate that it has come to this. It is about child abuse in all its forms and the fact that that the leaders of the FLDS have perverted polygamy for this purpose and for the purpose of collecting welfare benefits, etc. Child services is having to deal with returning the children to their rightful mothers, many of which are underage. Most of these members share DNA so figuring out by DNA testing may prove difficult trying to determine which children belong to which mothers.

There is a vast difference between the FLDS and our LDS faith. We believe in being subject to kings. presidents, rulers and magistrates in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law but we also claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may. But what they're doing is against the law (polygamy, child abuse [neglect, sexual, etc], using this means to collect benefits from the government, etc...) Their men and women have become so indoctrinated that they don't even understand the concept of being a real U.S. citizen or having individual rights, which they claim. Do they vote? Where are their artists, scientists, etc? They have none. Their education is limited to their indoctrination as they are shut out from the world in a compound, which is a huge contrast to, say for example, the Amish and a vast difference to our church.

We LDS do not live in compounds. As a matter of fact our church is as open as any other and extends to every corner of the earth. Anyone is welcome to come and go, join and leave the church, choose who they will marry and when as long as they are of age, we encourage and even insist that people who investigate our church study and pray about our faith before joining. We don't force anyone to be baptized in our church. There is a vast difference between our church and the FLDS without even going into doctrine.

I agree that the issue isn't really polygamy. But it alarms me that the state didn't get their evidence together before they made the raid. And I do feel so very badly for the children. The system thinks that it is protecting those children....but they must all be so traumatized by the whole affair.

I guess that they did see evidence that youthful teens were pregnant. Awful! But not until after they went in. Maybe they have to raid. Maybe Texas didn't have a choice. I dunnno!

It is so difficult for me to assess what is really going on down there. I don't agree with the FLDS and their lifestyle. If they in fact are doing what they are accused of, then they should be prosecuted.

Not sure I agree with how they are dealing with all the children....mother's not being able to nurse their babies....AWFUL! Sticky mess? You bet it is.

I agree that the issue isn't really polygamy. But it alarms me that the state didn't get their evidence together before they made the raid. And I do feel so very badly for the children. The system thinks that it is protecting those children....but they must all be so traumatized by the whole affair.

I guess that they did see evidence that youthful teens were pregnant. Awful! But not until after they went in. Maybe they have to raid. Maybe Texas didn't have a choice. I dunnno!

It is so difficult for me to assess what is really going on down there. I don't agree with the FLDS and their lifestyle. If they in fact are doing what they are accused of, then they should be prosecuted.

Not sure I agree with how they are dealing with all the children....mother's not being able to nurse their babies....AWFUL! Sticky mess? You bet it is.

As I understand the situation - the State received a phone call complaint, (which now turns out to be made by someone in Colorado not even involved) and so the State acted on that complaint. It turned out to be a false alarm, but during their intiation of the original complaint, discovered the child abuse/underage sex. So really they opened up a hornets nest and are busy scrambling to figure it all out. To make matters worse, some have lied about the age, as well as their family lineage. Thus the reason for the DNA and time it takes to process it. Not making excuses for them but trying to make some sense our of it all.

Another problem is some of those kids don't even know their age! They don't know how old they are or when they were born.

The leaders claim that they are free to leave the compound whenever they wish but the young ones are so indoctrinated and afraid, how could they survive the world after growing up institutionalized? And then if they are to ever be forgiven of their leaving their faith/apostatizing the only way they can be forgiving is by blood atonement, which is slitting their neck from ear to ear. So why would any of them "want" to leave?

Even more reason why the state should have thought this thing through carefully before going in.

Here's another thing I don't understand. They have let the men go back to the compound haven't they? So even if the children are never returned there, if there are men and women there then surely they are just going to start all over again and have more children who they will bring up the same way.

How on earth do you deal with a thing like that?

The FLDS cannot even follow the most basic beliefs of the LDS church as stated by Joseph Smith himself so I can honestly say they are less like the original church than mainstream LDS.

Article of Faith #12

We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.