I'm a teacher in one of my classes (Elder's Quorum) and my topic was on President Hinckley's General Conference talk:

Slow to Anger

We discussed the importance of being slow to anger as husbands and put away our pride and stubbornness because this is what causes disagreements and fights in marriage, particularly for younger newlyweds.

I then used the wise Yoda as an example when he taught that "anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering". We talked about how the suffering of people was in direct relation to the power of the person who was angered (kings, dictators, people of power). Consider prominent historical figures and what their pride and anger did for their enemies or even their own people.

We discussed how slow to anger God is with us when we sin, but there were times that His anger was kindled against man in the Old Testament, especially during Noah's time. When we are quick to anger we tend to hurt others, whether physically or emotionally. I then asked the brothers what would it be like for us if God was quick to anger at us. I think there'd be lots more floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and who knows what else. But that is a great lesson that we can take from the Lord.

Being slow to anger is something that we really need to practice especially in our marriages.

I'm also a teacher (in Relief Society) and my lesson today was on Elder Uchtdorf's talk on "Have We Not Reason to Rejoice?"

It was about rejoicing in our knowledge of the Gospel, and allowing it's teachings to raise us above the fear and misery in the world today. Not that it eliminates it, but having an "eternal perspective" (realizing the problems of this world are for this world only) can help us to endure our trials, and we can rejoice in the calm assurance that Christ has promised us the Gift of the Holy Ghost to speak to our minds and guide our steps, and grant us knowledge to act in ways we might not have thought to act on our own, but which will help us overcome a trial.

My favorite scripture was this one: 2nd Nephi 32:3, 5

3 Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.

I likened this to knowing how to deal with our children, when maybe they can't (or won't, in the case of teenagers) tell us the things that are bothering them. Sometimes I've had ideas come to my mind on how to best deal with my daughter, that I *know* didn't come from me, but came from the Spirit, as I was reading the Scriptures, and they have helped me to meet a need my daughter had that she hadn't been able to communicate to me.

I also loved this one: 2nd Corinthians 12:9

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

How many of us "glory" in our infermities? And yet it is in the midst of our trials that we rely most heavily on the Lord, and He is waiting there for us, offering us His Grace, to help us overcome them.

I know your questions was what did we *learn*, and this is something that I taught, but there's a common saying in the church that often the person who learns the most from a lesson is the person giving it, and I certainly learned a *lot* while preparing this lesson. :lol: It was a great talk, and very uplifting.

My son in law gave his first talk today on following our Prophet. He talked on how our prophets are called of God and by our prophets, Gods words are given to us on here on earth in these latter days. We are to follow our prophets teachings just as we follow the prophets of old in our scriptures.

Hi, found, this is a great question! :lol: And . . . what did you learn today?

In our Sacrament meeting, the theme of the speakers was the "Everlasting Priesthood". A high councilman spoke (a leader from the stake organization) and also a young man who is soon to be leaving on his mission to Washington state. We also had a choir number, which I directed, and lovely version of the hymn "How Great the Wisdom and the Love" -- one of my favorites.

I slept in Sunday School like I normally do, sigh, but I do believe we were learning from what King Benjamin taught (Book of Mormon).

I also play the piano in Primary, which is with the children, and the "sharing time" leader taught us a little bit of interesting stories about each of the 16 prophets we have had in the latter days, and a little something about what each of the prophets were known for teaching. I enjoyed that.

His first talk, NIL? coool!

I know your questions was what did we *learn*, and this is something that I taught, but there's a common saying in the church that often the person who learns the most from a lesson is the person giving it, and I certainly learned a *lot* while preparing this lesson. :lol: It was a great talk, and very uplifting.

Indeed I learn a lot when I'm preparing lessons. I really enjoy teaching from the Conference talks. Sounds like Jenamarie and I come away with very similar experiences. ^_^

Thank you for starting this topic, lostnfound.

During the first hour Seminary students gave talks. So, this young kid gives

his talk. He talks about how we should not judge people on looks and how there

are no ugly people. He talks about how we should not hate people.

Then he gives a story - his Seminary teacher had a picture on the wall and covered it up so no one knew what the picture was. The students were given

darts and were told - think of someone you hate and imagine that person’s picture

is on the wall - now throw the darts at that person you hate. So, the students throw darts at the covered up picture. The teacher then pulls the darts out, uncovers the picture, and they discover the picture is of Jesus Christ.

During the first hour Seminary students gave talks. So, this young kid gives

his talk. He talks about how we should not judge people on looks and how there

are no ugly people. He talks about how we should not hate people.

Then he gives a story - his Seminary teacher had a picture on the wall and covered it up so no one knew what the picture was. The students were given

darts and were told - think of someone you hate and imagine that person’s picture

is on the wall - now throw the darts at that person you hate. So, the students throw darts at the covered up picture. The teacher then pulls the darts out, uncovers the picture, and they discover the picture is of Jesus Christ.

Oh I remember doing that in Seminary. Very powerful lesson.

Hi, found, this is a great question! :lol: And . . . what did you learn today?

In our Sacrament meeting, the theme of the speakers was the "Everlasting Priesthood". A high councilman spoke (a leader from the stake organization) and also a young man who is soon to be leaving on his mission to Washington state. We also had a choir number, which I directed, and lovely version of the hymn "How Great the Wisdom and the Love" -- one of my favorites.

I slept in Sunday School like I normally do, sigh, but I do believe we were learning from what King Benjamin taught (Book of Mormon).

I also play the piano in Primary, which is with the children, and the "sharing time" leader taught us a little bit of interesting stories about each of the 16 prophets we have had in the latter days, and a little something about what each of the prophets were known for teaching. I enjoyed that.

His first talk, NIL? coool!

Well, since you asked..:) We actually talked about how God has the nations on his heart and how the bible talks about the kingdom of God. Some people are going to malaysia and we showed viedo of what they are going to be doing over their and ministering to them. It was a pretty powerful service in thinking about how sometimes churches get caught up in what they are doing but forgetting the bigger picture.

AHHH poop! The one thing I would love to share about and we were home sick. Oh well. My husband and I did read a little in the BofM; Alma 32 and Jacob 5. The Alma stuff is about faith and how faith leads to sure knowledge. And Jacob 5 is an allegory about a vineyard and grafting in branches..etc. hard to explain. Anyway...it was home study for us today!

Today was a great Sunday... I heard a few true stories that really touched me.

First one:

There was a man visiting from the other side of our island, who's in the temple presidency. His wife and him couldn't afford to buy a house on that side of the island because it's really expensive over there, so they lived in a super tiny shack for several years. One day they came in contact with a man who had a 6-bedroom house for sale. It was completely out of their range, but the man selling it insisted that they come and take a look at it anyway. They explained that they couldn't afford anything near that... but the man insisted that it should be their place because it had a powerful spirit in the house ever since the moment they walked in. He told them that he had to give them the house at any cost... they said they couldn't afford a down-payment, so he said they wouldn't need one. He asked how much they could afford, and that became the price of the house... so they got it.

Second:

In response to that story, another man told one about his house. His name is Bro. Hendershot. Anyway, his wife and him had obtained a house from a couple that passed away, and decided that they needed to do the temple work for them. In going through the items they left, they found 5 generations of genealogy, but it was all written in German. Everybody they came to that spoke German couldn't translate it... until one day a man showed up at their house. He basically asked them if they had something for him to translate. He willingly translated it, and mentioned that he's probably the only one in the whole state that could have done so. Needless to say, all of their temple work was accomplished.

Okay, last one:

A missionary was told by his mission president (Elder Kikuchi, now a seventy) that him and his companion were to baptize someone before the end of the month, and they only had 2 weeks left. With not a single person in their teaching pool, they thought the challenge would be near impossible. One night while in a meeting at the stake center, a man walks in and explains who he is, saying that he flew here from California to take the lessons and get baptized. He had been attending church in California but the spirit led him to visit here for the sole purpose of getting baptized. In the end, he did get baptized and confirmed, and left on a plane to California the next day.

In Elder's Quorum we discussed a talk by Elder Hales of the 12 on "Examples of Prophets" from our recent General Conference. I learned the most from watching the teacher and how he presented the material, not really from the material itself, although it was interesting.

The topic in Sacrament meeting was Service, various talks about how we can serve one another and God, and how we mustn't think that we cannot serve because of our circumstances, that there is a way for every one of us to serve, no matter how small it may seem.

Gospel Principles class was about The Eternal Family, how to achieve it, how to bring the family members closer together thru various activities/family prayer/attendance at church etc.

Relief Society was a discussion about Preach My Gospel and how it unites members and Missionaries. Two of the current Missionaries in our ward spoke about their faith and feelings while on Missions, and the discussion was aimed at members of the church being Missionaries themselves, in any situation, and how to support the Missionaries in our wards by fellowshipping with new members/investigators/introducing our friends to the Missionaries when the Missionaries visit our homes for meals.

I taught the Relief Society lesson yesterday which was the same one Pushka had about Preach My Gospel. I got 3 of our members to discuss how they had used it for teaching investigators (when accompanying the full time missionaries), for personal scripture study (which is one I have never done myself but going to look into now as the young lady who did that segment had made copious notes in her margins and said she got a lot out of it) and a mother who has used it in Family Home Evening, again something we have never done. I think I learned an awful lot from the lesson.

Our Gospel Doctrine class was about the teachings of King Benjamin - he is one of my Book of Mormon heroes. Really makes you think about your own shortcomings and what you need to work on.

Sacrament meeting was based around "caring for the one" as I have mentioned in the thread I started about my daughter doing her talk on the lost sheep. Again it made me stop and think that I need to take more notice of people who are absent and find out if they need any help.

It was a very spirit filled day. We also had the confirmation of a mother and son who had been baptised the previous day and Saturday had been an amazing day with a wedding and two baptisms.

Altogether a really great weekend.

AHHH poop! The one thing I would love to share about and we were home sick. Oh well. My husband and I did read a little in the BofM; Alma 32 and Jacob 5. The Alma stuff is about faith and how faith leads to sure knowledge. And Jacob 5 is an allegory about a vineyard and grafting in branches..etc. hard to explain. Anyway...it was home study for us today!

That;s okay did you have a good sermon at all in the last month that you want to share?

It was a fast Sunday (I think it has been long one)

A baby got his name. His father carried him to the front. then his Grandfather (our frend) and his otehr grand father (visiting) and the bishop put his hand under the baby and the father blessed the child. The blessing the child got was very beautiful.

The the bishop opened with a testimony and quite a few followed and told theirs. Especially the testimony of the visiting grand father was beautyful.

Bishop also visited reliefsociety and had the lesson for us. He said he feels very humble and kind of out of place... a bit scarry it was... :D He said we wemen are so much better prepared usually, than men. His wife had asked him many times if he had prepared for the lesson.. :D

He talked about it that how there are sisters among us that have very strong faith, so strong that he dont know if any men can obtain so strong faith. He talked about how we help and see the needs of others much better than men, he talked about our .. I think the word is indegredience... just like always beeing prepared and how we aremore punctual in our doings.

He talked about todays world, how often we kind of have to have the mask on there the mask of tolerance. Like we can not say WE think something is wrong as it is called untolerance. We are today in a way not allowed our own opinions, if they are against what is decided by leaders, then we are called oldfashioned, conservatives, which have almostbecome a bad word. Sometimes the world wants us to say it is ok with two left arms in sted of having one of each: a right and a left. (what was again the devils plan?) It might even be harmful to have two left arms instead of one of each!

He talked about Hinkly whom G.W.Bush said: He has a servants hart and a leaders wishdom.

My husband was sick today so we were unable to go. However, last Sunday people graduating from seminary gave talks. One talked about how seminary really strengthened her during trials in her life. The youth in this Church amaze me by their strength and unselfishness. When I was in high school I could not imagine getting up early like they do.