What if we're all cult members?

{But before we proceed, it is necessary to clear up a possible misunderstanding: not all spiritual movements other than the traditional religions, movements which are commonly called sects, are dangerous, such as, for example, Baptists, Quakers, and Mormons. Their role can, sometimes, even be regarded as very positive:}

pasted from the article

Well I have studied Dianetics, Silva Mind Control , and Trancendental Meditation so I am just one cult happy person. I am also LDS . It seems any organization or government for that matter could be cosidered a cult . I wonder how much people were paid to compile this hogwash.....

Technically every religion is a cult. A cult is simply a group of people who adhere to beliefs or practices that the surrounding culture deems outside the mainstream. The more we live our religion, the more outside of the mainstream we are. I worry because an official classification could have negative connotations and lead to persecution again.

The government of France commissioned an agency to study and investigate cult activity in the country. Apparently Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Scientologists, Transcendental Meditation, the Church of Christ, Pentecostals, and Evangelicals all qualify!

Cults in France

If we are a cult, then the definition is sure differant than the way some use the word?:)

This thing has indeed been floating around for 10 years, and I believe the agency still exists. And yet, our groups are allowed to worship without serious harrassment. But...France is such an easy target.

BTW, I'm fairly certain this agency did not mean to use the word "cult" in a nuetral or innocuous way. In fact, the distinguished between it and "sect," saying the latter were a less serious concern.

I rather preferred Paul's badge of pride--We are a peculiar people!

The government of France commissioned an agency to study and investigate cult activity in the country. Apparently Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Scientologists, Transcendental Meditation, the Church of Christ, Pentecostals, and Evangelicals all qualify!

I knew that! :D;)

If we are a cult, then the definition is sure differant than the way some use the word?:)

yes exactly..Let look at some definitions of that word used.

Prison do you think that article was using the webster use of that word? Because if they were then yes we would all be in a cult..but if it is using cult like in a negative way then no they would be wrong at clumping all of those reglions into a cult..

Cults in a bad way use bahavior control, mind control, thought control, emotional control, information control!

"Cult" is one of those words like homophobe or bigot - whatever real meaning the word had or used to have, is being overshadowed by people just using the word as a way to insult someone.

The Boyd Cult Scale is a halfway decent attempt to objectively measure the "cultishness" of an organization. When I take this test for my church, I come up with 40 out of 100 - not very cultish. Give the scale a try, and see what you come up with.

LM

It is not all bad.....

"But before we proceed, it is necessary to clear up a possible misunderstanding: not all spiritual movements other than the traditional religions, movements which are commonly called sects, are dangerous, such as, for example, Baptists, Quakers, and Mormons. Their role can, sometimes, even be regarded as very positive.."

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride

From Miriam Webster Online.

CULT

Pronunciation: \ˈkəlt\

Function: noun

Usage: often attributive

Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate — more at wheel

Date: 1617

1: formal religious veneration : worship

2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents

3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>

5 a: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b: the object of such devotion c: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

It is not all bad.....

"But before we proceed, it is necessary to clear up a possible misunderstanding: not all spiritual movements other than the traditional religions, movements which are commonly called sects, are dangerous, such as, for example, Baptists, Quakers, and Mormons. Their role can, sometimes, even be regarded as very positive.."

Sounds like the agency wishes to corral and use us for the greater good. So...maybe the government is a cult??? :o