Bible, Which version?

The LDS Church has consistently used the King James Version as its standard English version of the Bible. This is the version that is in fact published by the church and included in the quadruple combination. This is the version that is quoted in General Conference and nearly all Church members bring to Sunday School and Seminary. The Church Handbook of Instructions states:

"While other Bible versions may be easier to read than the King James Version, in doctrinal matters latter-day revelation supports the King James Version in preference to other English translations" (First Presidency letter, 22 May 1992).

Ideally, English-speaking members should use LDS edition of the King James Bible.

But we also accept that the Bible has flaws: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly". When Joseph Smith wrote the article of faith to John Wentworth, the KJV was the dominate English translation and had been for centuries. We know that the KJV is rife with errors. Among the problems of the KJV, limited greek and hebrew texts were available to the translation scholars. We now have more ancient texts that indicate some relatively modern additions to the Bible (e.g., Comma Johanneum). Translators used Erasmus' Greek bible, which in part, was a translation of the Vulgate rather than Greek sources. Remember the telephone game and the story became more corrupted with each iteration? Imagine now going from Greek to Latin, to Greek, to English. Besides text issues, translators opted for form above substance--possibly corrupting doctrine in favor of poetry.

We are instructed to use the KJV, but a tenet of our faith admits there are translation errors. How do we reconcile this dilemma? Should we as LDS seek out a Bible that is translated more correctly? Joseph Smith said he preferred Luther's German Bible.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, the OP is right that there are better translations than the KJV. Why not use them? After all, the Church is responsible for doctrine, so for personal edification, why not choose one with the best scholarship behind it. the New International Version is most common in evangelical churches. The New American Standard Bible is one of the best word-for-word translations. And, sometimes, just for perspective, and for getting the tone of the biblical writers, The Message can be very powerful.

"Better" is the whole dilemma here.

Why is one translation better than another?

Is it because it makes it easier to understand what was originally meant?

If one is seeking to really understand what the Bible is saying he must turn to God for wisdom and enlightenment. If a man does that, does it really matter what translation he uses?

Joseph Smith made a translation of the KJV from revelation, not from any understanding of languages he may have had. This is what we must do. We must rely on the spirit to help us understand.

There have been many times in my life where I was reading the Bible and all the sudden the words seemed to jump off the page, and though I read those words hundreds of times in the past, they made sense for the first time. This is the spirit of enlightenment.

Elder Bednar explained it to me like this: There are Gospel truths that are "caught and not taught."

Joseph Smith said it was the best English translation at the time, so the Church used it. The truth can be had from the KJV, because God will reveal amswers to those that diligently seek them. The exact wording doesn't really matter.

The problem with using a different translation, which some claim is "better," is what do they mean by better? Something has to be different about it to be "better."

Joseph Smith took many of the most confusing parts and re-translated them into English the way they were supposed to be. With the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price, we have enough.

The problem isn't "Is there a better translation?" but "Do we read and pray about the scriptures often enough?" Because if we do then the KJV is perfectly understandable.

But, to change the wording of the Bible because it is "better," you have to ask "What did it change in order to become better?" Were those changes inspiried? Does the new wording get closer to the truth or farther away?

The KJV is just fine for anyone who relys on God for their understanding, and we have Joseph Smith's corrected portions as a further help.

Edited by Justice

"Better" is the whole dilemma here.

Why is one translation better than another?

Because it's more accurate, and the writing is clearer.

Is it because it makes it easier to understand what was originally meant?

Yes. Is that not a good thing?

If one is seeking to really understand what the Bible is saying, he must turn to God for wisdom and enlightenment. If a man does that, does it really matter what translation he uses?

Yes. They are all good, and tremendously accurate. However, the KJV does rely on later manuscripts, while at the same time, using archaic English. It requires an 11th-grade reading level, compared with 7th-grade for the NIV, and 5th grade for the Good News Version.

Educators know that if we are reading above our fluency level (95% of vocabulary is instantly known), then we become frustrated. Many high school graduates, btw, do not having a functional reading level that is 12th-grade.

God can surely anoint our reading, but few of us would attempt to read a Greek New Testament with this logic (God can help me understand it, after all).

Joseph Smith made a translation of the KJV from revelation, not from any understanding of languages he may have had. This is what we must do. We must rely n the spirit to help us understand.

All knowledge and no Spirit leads to legalism and Pharisaism. All Spirit and no knowledge leads to imbalance and heresy.

But, to change the wording of the Bible because it is "better," you have to ask "What did it change in order to become better?" Were those changes inspiried? Does the new wording get closer to the truth or farther away?

It is not my understanding that any major Christian group argues that the KJV is inspired in the same sense the original Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew transmissions were. There are some small fundamentalists groups that argue this, but no major ones.

The KJV is just fine for anyone who relys on God for their understanding, and we have Joseph Smith's corrected portions as a further help.

Why settle for just fine when God has provided us a more plentiful body of manuscripts that date much closer to the times of Christ? Why settle for archaic 400 year old English, when more accurate and more clearly written translations are available? The Church has not declared the KJV to be the only legitimate English translation, nor has it said it is the best. Rather, since it was the one in use during the founding of the church, it has remained the translation to use, for continuity sake--when studying church doctrine.

So again, I ask, why be limited when it comes to personal scripture reading and edification?

Edited by prisonchaplain

KJV is fun. It may not be accurate, but if you've got an LDS quad, then the mistranslations and such are usually in the footnotes.

Even then, if you're doing scripture STUDY, then those errors will come out, anyway.

And if you're studying the BoM, then the KJV is good, because the language is more similar to the BoM's.

However, I think it's terribly UNimportant which version of the Bible you use, as long as it's not one gross with error and translator's bias.

Because, honestly, it's the Word of God. And if you read, with sincere intent and ask prayerfully for guidance, then the Spirit of God will "translate" for you and the message as you need it, to bring you closer to Christ, will come through.

Brothers and sisters, deciding which version the Bible to use is generally not a good argument. As it stands, the Book of Mormon has been translated completely into at least 80 languages, which means 80 translations.

I'm sure the Bible has a great many translations into other languages, as well.

We must remember that the Gospel will be taught to every nation, kindred, and tongue. Old English or modern English are separate tongues, and by and through them must the Gospel of the Lord be taught.

And to everyone, as PC mentioned. Even those with a lower reading level, they are our kindred, and so too must be taught.

The whole point is:

Read your scriptures, whatever version they may be. Seek out the Word of God, and in so doing the Spirit of God shall find you.

Joseph Smith made a translation of the KJV from revelation, not from any understanding of languages he may have had. This is what we must do. We must rely on the spirit to help us understand.

This is not entirely true. Granted JS didn't have any original texts or ancient documents when rendering biblical doctrinal commentary, he did have a simple understanding of Hebrew. Hebrew was the first subject taught in the School of the Prophets. I argue that his understanding of Hebrew helped Joseph, for example, understand the plurality of Gods in the creation story of Genesis. This understanding influenced his revelatory commentary (i.e., JST) of Genesis. Joseph studied languages and scripture to aid in his revelatory process of understanding and generating scripture. Shouldn't we also seek to understand scripture from different dimensions (including different scriptural translations and prayer/spirit) as JS did?

Educators know that if we are reading above our fluency level (95% of vocabulary is instantly known), then we become frustrated. Many high school graduates, btw, do not having a functional reading level that is 12th-grade.

God can surely anoint our reading, but few of us would attempt to read a Greek New Testament with this logic (God can help me understand it, after all).

Prisionchaplain makes a good point about the readability of the KJV verses "modern" English translations. The Shakespearean English of the KJV impedes and discourages many from studying and understanding God's word if that is all that is offered. Those who are fluent in KJ English have often forgetten how difficult it is to understand the new text.

It may not be accurate, but if you've got an LDS quad, then the mistranslations and such are usually in the footnotes.

I find this is true that most KJV understandability issues are resolved in the LDS footnotes or BD for the interested student. But isn't this a cumbersome way of studying God's word? Why do I need to form an archaic English vocabulary just to understand the Bible?

I frequently refer to the NIV in my personal study.

Joseph Smith had a revelation that can be likened to this question, and while it was primarily concerned with the apocrypha, its principles are relevant to all scripture.

D&C 91.

4 Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth;

5 And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;

So again, I ask, why be limited when it comes to personal scripture reading and edification?

Because without the Holy Spirit or Heavenly Father guiding the translation, there is no way for it to be accurate.

I have tried these new versions of the Bible several years back when looking for the truth. I actually used them to put together lessons. When I needed to "prove" a point, I would just pick a version that had the most favorable translation and then use it.

In reality, these versions were confusing and allowed for people to have multiple opinions about the same passage. This caused me a lot of confusion and I ended up relying on my thoughts or feelings about a passage, even after going back to the original Greek and Hebrew words.

When I saw the Restoration video, I could relate. There is too much confusion among churches. Back in the Joseph Smith's time, they had the King James version and plenty of confusion among the sects. Now, with many more versions, the confusion is worse. There is a version of the Bible to prove any point you want. Don't like the version? Retranslate it!

Because without the Holy Spirit or Heavenly Father guiding the translation, there is no way for it to be accurate.

Why would you believe that the Holy Spirit guided the KJV translation, and not the newer ones? Your church does not teach this, but rather that there is good and there is truth in most churches. All good gifts come from God, and all truth is ultimately from God. It's my understanding that your church sticks with publishing the KJV because it was the Bible of the founding fathers, and offers a continuity.

I have tried these new versions of the Bible several years back when looking for the truth. I actually used them to put together lessons. When I needed to "prove" a point, I would just pick a version that had the most favorable translation and then use it.

In reality, these versions were confusing and allowed for people to have multiple opinions about the same passage. This caused me a lot of confusion and I ended up relying on my thoughts or feelings about a passage, even after going back to the original Greek and Hebrew words.

Picking the translation that best explicates my human opinion is a common error, but not a good argument against modern, more accurate versions.

When I saw the Restoration video, I could relate. There is too much confusion among churches. Back in the Joseph Smith's time, they had the King James version and plenty of confusion among the sects. Now, with many more versions, the confusion is worse. There is a version of the Bible to prove any point you want. Don't like the version? Retranslate it!

Of course new translations are not put together to bolster pet doctrines (other than those self-produced for specific sects). The fact that some teachers take shortcuts by cherry picking translations to fit their opinions is a fault of the teacher not the translation.

Of course new translations are not put together to bolster pet doctrines (other than those self-produced for specific sects). The fact that some teachers take shortcuts by cherry picking translations to fit their opinions is a fault of the teacher not the translation.

It's teachers(professors) who are the ones doing the translations in the first place. I grew up 7th Day Adventist where I learned the art of cherry picking scriptures to give the most support for doctrines.

I find this is true that most KJV understandability issues are resolved in the LDS footnotes or BD for the interested student. But isn't this a cumbersome way of studying God's word? Why do I need to form an archaic English vocabulary just to understand the Bible?

Yes, the idea to form an archaic Greek and Hebrew vocabulary just to understand the bible is much easier. :D

I agree. I've studied many different translations of the Bible. Some of these supposed new translations of the Bible are awful. They massacre the text. Bible translations that I like and use are the following:

King James Version

Inspired Version (Joseph Smith Translation)

New King James Version

21st Century King James Version

It's teachers(professors) who are the ones doing the translations in the first place.

You mentioned that teachers pick the translation that best fits their lesson points, and use different ones based on their preset agendas. That is not what professors do, but the type of error a lay-teacher would make. Sometimes good teachers will read several translations of a verse, to give students the slightly different expressions...but cherry picking translations is very minor-league.

I grew up 7th Day Adventist where I learned the art of cherry picking scriptures to give the most support for doctrines.

IMHO, as a non-SDA person, such an approach is an individual sin, not a denominational trait.

Yes, the idea to form an archaic Greek and Hebrew vocabulary just to understand the bible is much easier. :D

To each his own.

You mentioned that teachers pick the translation that best fits their lesson points, and use different ones based on their preset agendas. That is not what professors do, but the type of error a lay-teacher would make. Sometimes good teachers will read several translations of a verse, to give students the slightly different expressions...but cherry picking translations is very minor-league.

It's not something that professors(or teachers) should do, but it is something that is done. The slightly different expressions that you speak about are the sort of differences that can and do expand into doctrinal issues. I suggest that you should read Romans using these different translations and then tell me once again that this isn't so.

When the Church decides to add footnotes and other helpful information to these other versions of the Bible, then I will take a look at them once again.

I have a couple of online resources that I use extensively in my studies and during institute classes.

Parallel Hebrew Old Testament and its sister site

Greek New Testament - Parallel Greek New Testament by John Hurt

and Greek Bible

The first two are extremely valuable to me because they show the "original" (gleaned from Unbound Bible ), other manuscript translations ( modern Hebrew OT and 4 extra greek translations of the NT ), as well as 9 English translations. The third I use primarily for its lexical value - look up any scripture and then click on a greek word for a very complete and thorough lexical definition with case, number, and gender for that specific context.

I find the use of these resources to be invaluable in my personal studies and have truly gained tremendous knowledge, especially when using the original Hebrew while studying the OT in institute. However, I don't think I have ever had personal REVELATION regarding the scriptures except while reading the LDS version of the KJV with the JST. Perhaps only because that's what I use when I'm actually reading and not just cross-referencing, but it's still significant.

Part of the greatest value I get from the KJV is the footnotes and cross references. These are generally not available in as complete and superior a manner anywhere else - especially as concerns crossreferencing the BOM. As Rico put it, when the Church authorizes these same featurs in another English translation, then I'll use that. Until then, other translations are good for crossreference.

So many choices.

I'm with VisionOfLehi...what matters is that we saturate ourselves with the scriptures.

Puf...I like your approach. God gives us the Spirit to guide us, but he has also gifted us with a brain. In fact, the Spirit may work with our mind at times.

No translation is perfect; not even the KJV. The OT was mainly found in Greek at the time of Christ (Septuagint). The Hebrew Masoretic text was honed after this. The New Testament was originally in colloquial Greek, but Jerome translated this into ecclesiastical Latin. All subsequent translations have been an attempt to stay faithful to the originals, or what we have of them. I personally believe that it is miraculous that the Old and New Testament have survived for us to read. So enjoy! (In any language that facilitates your faith and understanding.)

As an aside, I enjoy the KJV for its beauty and fluency of language...but will happily read any faithful translation.

Moksha, could you post your favorite passage from the Message? I've never looked at it, and would like to get a feel for it. Thanks.

I just had this thought:

Do you think the original writers of Scriptures could actually express in the words of their mortal language what they actually, fully experience? We can't even do that telling an anecdote.

So the original writers even had to translate it from event into words.

I don't really have anything else to say about that, I just realized it and I think it's cool.

Why would you believe that the Holy Spirit guided the KJV translation, and not the newer ones? Your church does not teach this, but rather that there is good and there is truth in most churches.

Joseph Smith said it therefore it's good enough for me.

Whether there is good in other churches is an entirely different issue than which version of the Bible they use.

To be honest, I am like some who have posted here. I really do believe some things are lost in the newer more modern translations. And, I do see where the changes can lead you to believe the verses actually mean something different.

Without the comeplte understanding of having a prophet and all of its implications, it is difficult to understand my view, I guess.

Since I've always read the KJV, and the version in Portuguese that is comparable to the KJV, I don't feel the need to changed it at all; I like old English :). I had another version, and it didn't work for me.

I feel that some "modern" have become too modern... and the meaning is "lost in translation...' :confused:Some people will understand what I mean by that.

The Church does not tell the members that we can use only one version, but it certaily endorses the KJV. If anyone who has the KJV Bible through the LDS Church, you'll see the Epistle Dedicatory that I'll post here, and in my opinion, for the Church to endorse in such way a particular version, it says a LOT to me! ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

Epistle Dedicatory - Epistle Dedicatory

TO THE MOST HIGH AND MIGHTY PRINCE

JAMES

BY THE GRACE OF GOD

KING OF GREAT BRITAIN, FRANCE, AND IRELAND,

DEFENDER OF THE FAITH, &c.

The Translators of the Bible wish Grace, Mercy, and Peace

through JESUS CHRIST our Lord

Great and manifold were the blessings, most dread Sovereign, which Almighty God, the Father of all mercies, bestowed upon us the people of England, when first he sent Your Majesty’s Royal Person to rule and reign over us. For whereas it was the expectation of many, who wished not well unto our Sion, that upon the setting of that bright Occidental Star, Queen Elizabeth of most happy memory, some thick and palpable clouds of darkness would so have overshadowed this Land, that men should have been in doubt which way they were to walk; and that it should hardly be known, who was to direct the unsettled State; the appearance of Your Majesty, as of the Sun in his strength, instantly dispelled those supposed and surmised mists, and gave unto all that were well affected exceeding cause of comfort; especially when we beheld the Government established in Your Highness, and Your hopeful Seed, by an undoubted Title, and this also accompanied with peace and tranquillity at home and abroad.

But among all our joys, there was no one that more filled our hearts, than the blessed continuance of the preaching of God’s sacred Word among us; which is that inestimable treasure, which excelleth all the riches of the earth; because the fruit thereof extendeth itself, not only to the time spent in this transitory world, but directeth and disposeth men unto that eternal happiness which is above in heaven.

Then not to suffer this to fall to the ground, but rather to take it up, and to continue it in that state, wherein the famous Predecessor of Your Highness did leave it: nay, to go forward with the confidence and resolution of a Man in maintaining the truth of Christ, and propagating it far and near, is that which hath so bound and firmly knit the hearts of all Your Majesty’s loyal and religious people unto You, that Your very name is precious among them: their eye doth behold You with comfort, and they bless You in their hearts, as that sanctified Person, who, under God, is the immediate Author of their true happiness. And this their contentment doth not diminish or decay, but every day increaseth and taketh strength, when they observe, that the zeal of Your Majesty toward the house of God doth not slack or go backward, but is more and more kindled, manifesting itself abroad in the farthest parts of Christendom, but writing in defence of the Truth, (which hath given such a blow unto that man of sin, as will not be healed,) and every day at home, by religious and learned discourse, but frequenting the house of God, by hearing the Word preached, by cherishing the Teachers thereof, by caring for the Church, as a most tender and loving nursing Father.

There are infinite arguments of this right Christian and religious affection in Your Majesty; but none is more forcible to declare it to others than the vehement and perpetuated desire of accomplishing and publishing of this work, which now with all humility we present unto Your Majesty. For when Your Highness had once out of deep judgment apprehended how convenient it was, that out of the Original Sacred Tongues, together with comparing of the labours, both in our own, and other foreign Languages, of many worthy men who went before us, there should be one more exact Translation of the holy Scriptures into the English Tongue; Your Majesty did never desist to urge and to excite those to whom it was commended, that the work might be hastened, and that the business might be expedited in so decent a manner, as a matter of such importance might justly require.

And now at last, by the mercy of God, and the continuance of our labours, it being brought unto such a conclusion, as that we have great hopes that the Church of England shall reap good fruit thereby; we hold it our duty to offer it to Your Majesty, not only as to our King and Sovereign, but as to the principal Mover and Author of the work: humbly craving of Your most Sacred Majesty, that since things of this quality have ever been subject to the censures of illmeaning and discontented persons, it may receive approbation and patronage from so learned and judicious a Prince as Your Highness is, whose allowance and acceptance of our labours shall more honour and encourage us, that all the calumniations and hard interpretations of other men shall dismay us. So that if, on the one side, we shall be traduced by Popish Persons at home or abroad, who therefore will malign us, because we are poor instruments to make God’s holy Truth to be yet more and more known unto the people, whom they desire still to keep in ignorance and darkness; or if, on the other side, we shall be maligned by selfconceited Brethren, who run their own ways, and give liking unto nothing, but what is framed by themselves, and hammered on their anvil; we may rest secure, supported within by the truth and innocency of a good conscience, having walked the ways of simplicity and integrity, as before the Lord; and sustained without by the powerful protection of Your Majesty’s grace and favour, which will ever give countenance to honest and Christian endeavours against bitter censures and uncharitable imputations.

The Lord of heaven and earth bless Your Majesty with many and happy days, that, as his heavenly hand hath enriched Your Highness with many singular and extraordinary graces, so You may be the wonder of the world in this latter age for happiness and true felicity, to the honour of that great GOD, and the good of his Church, through Jesus Christ our Lord and only Saviour.

--------------------------------------------------

We are free to choose what version to use as we are free to choose all things! :)

Edited by PapilioMemnon
Correcting expression: translated to comparable

Moksha, could you post your favorite passage from the Message? I've never looked at it, and would like to get a feel for it. Thanks.

Unfortunately, my favorite passages are not the most poetic from the Message. For example:

Matthew 5

You're Blessed

1-2 When Jesus saw his ministry drawing huge crowds, he climbed a hillside. Those who were apprenticed to him, the committed, climbed with him. Arriving at a quiet place, he sat down and taught his climbing companions. This is what he said:

3"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.

4"You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.

5"You're blessed when you're content with just who you are—no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.

6"You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat.

7"You're blessed when you care. At the moment of being 'careful,' you find yourselves cared for.

8"You're blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world.

9"You're blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That's when you discover who you really are, and your place in God's family.

10"You're blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God's kingdom. 11-12"Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.

Here is a better example of how wonderfully understandable the Message Bible is:

Mathew 5

Love Your Enemies

38-42"Here's another old saying that deserves a second look: 'Eye for eye, tooth for tooth.' Is that going to get us anywhere? Here's what I propose: 'Don't hit back at all.' If someone strikes you, stand there and take it. If someone drags you into court and sues for the shirt off your back, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. And if someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.

43-47"You're familiar with the old written law, 'Love your friend,' and its unwritten companion, 'Hate your enemy.' I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that. 48"In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you."

:)