Utah

AngelonaWing

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm originally from NYC, and thats a great place to be from....FAR from.....and while i lived in arizona i had the opportunity to visit utah, SLC and Manti, and LOVED it.....might move back there some day.......oh...uh...no...guess i'm not from utah....sorry...wrong thread

hahahaha You are fine dazed.

The roads are actually driveable due to the fact that we don't need to be working on them 12 months out of the year.

When we were driving up to Idaho some years ago, I had a friend give me a zen moment by tightly closing his eyes and telling me when we were past the state line into Idaho by sensing less bumpiness in the the road.

Wonder if he could have done the same with the increase in fresh farm smells too?

Before telling anyone they should just leave perhaps you should know some backgrounds as to why some of us live in Utah and can't leave. Without knowing the whys shouldn't assume that something isn't forcing someone to be here. JMHO

I am not making assumptions and I am not telling anyone that they should leave. I am asking why they don't, if it is so painful to stay! I made one comment......not necessarily representative of all my feelings... to address the seemingly endless complaining about how awful Utah is -- a place that is my home and the origin of much of my history and a place that I love inspite of its quirks. And I take exception with the word you chose..."can't" leave. Perhaps there are economic or familial circumstances that keep people in a place they dislike. But I still think that such sacrifice, if you want to call it that, is a choice. So.....if that is a person's choice, what good comes from complaining about it? They are making the choice. So own it!

When someone moves to a place ....or perhaps lives in that place for a time and then starts dishing out the criticisms openly, I think it is naive to think that some wouldn't throw out a little push back. After all, Utah IS a place many do call home. I don't think anyone likes their homeland trashed.

And if Utah is so awful, why is the Northern part of the State growing like wildfire and why are the lots getting smaller and smaller and why can't I drive to SLC without being in a traffic jam????

Edited by Misshalfway

I am not making assumptions and I am not telling anyone that they should leave. I am asking why they don't, if it is so painful to stay! I made one comment......not necessarily representative of all my feelings... to address the seemingly endless complaining about how awful Utah is -- a place that is my home and the origin of much of my history and a place that I love inspite of its quirks. And I take exception with the word you chose..."can't" leave. Perhaps there are economic or familial circumstances that keep people in a place they dislike. But I still think that such sacrifice, if you want to call it that, is a choice. So.....if that is a person's choice, what good comes from complaining about it? They are making the choice. So own it!

When someone moves to a place ....or perhaps lives in that place for a time and then starts dishing out the criticisms openly, I think it is naive to think that some wouldn't throw out a little push back. After all, Utah IS a place many do call home. I don't think anyone likes their homeland trashed.

And if Utah is so awful, why is the Northern part of the State growing like wildfire and why are the lots getting smaller and smaller and why can't I drive to SLC without being in a traffic jam????

Southern Utah is growing like wildfire, too, and oddly enough everyone moving in seems to be coming from Southern California. I guess they don't want to have to live under water once it drops into the ocean. ;)

I went to Utah with my sis for the birth of her daughters fourth child. I thought it was beautiful! The scenery breathtaking. And how wonderful it would be, having so many Temples, so close!

Having lived in Miami for sooo many years, well...road construction is a way of life for most large, ever growing, major cities. Atlanta is no different.

The reason I could not live in Utah, is the winter. I cannot bear being cold. In fact, I cannot see myself going any further north, than south Georgia. I would just be plain miserable. :(

Angela you haven't been around long enough to know me so let me introduce myself. Hi I am Checkerboy. About 90% of what I say is tongue in cheek or intended to get a rise out of you. While it is true that I do dislike Utah for a variety of reasons I don't dislike people from Utah. In fact I have made some really great friends here that currently live in Utah. I had the opportunity just a few weeks ago to meet them, in Utah. So just remember Checkerboy=Sarcastic.

LOL!!!!!!!!! Checker maybe you should have that in your signiture:D

BTW, Have you seen the "Sarcastic Thread"?:D

I'm from Vegas. I did live in Utah for about six years. I only went there because I had no way to live on my own in Vegas and family was there in Utah. Now I'm in Michigan working. I didn't really get attached to Utah. It was nice, nicer in some ways then Nevada and in other ways not, but I'm finding out that It all depends on what you want.

After watching Broken Arrow as a kid, they had the line about Nevada winning against Utah should they ever have a war. I was just reminded of that.

There are effective "breeders" here in UT. :D

Utahns are BIZZAY baby-makers! haha

As for the construction in SLC...it's seriously not that bad. Idaho has probably half the roads that Utah does, which is probably why it's easier to maintain them.

Let me tell ya, the roads in Colorado are WAY worse...and their major highway construction project takes 10 years, instead of 2-4.

Oregon's highway construction projects also span into a decade. There was a little stretch in Salem that took 12 years.

Oh, and sorry but I gotta say that SLC is a much cleaner city than Denver and Portland.

I grew up in Oregon. I miss it! It sure is beautiful (for the three months that it's not raining) ;) I personally can handle frigid winters if it means the sun will shine.