What in the heck? No caffeine?

So I was chatting in a message board today with some people who were asking me about the church, and were asking about the coffee/tea issue.

Well, there was another Mormon there that made the claim that NO caffeine whatsoever was supposed to be consumed. None.

I've never heard this, i've just heard coffee and tea. I tried to tell her that what she heard was nonsense, but is there any truth to this?

I have reason to believe that she's just a fanatical anti posing as a member to stir animosity towards the church, but that's another story entirely. Has there ever been a rule about caffeine within the church? Heck I see kids with pop at church all the time.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The church strongly counsels against ingesting addictive substances. It takes absolutely no stand on caffeine specifically one way or the other. The closest we've got, is an interview with Larry King and President Hinckley, where Larry is naming off things unique to mormons, and Pres. Hinckley is nodding his head and saying yes. Larry says something like "Mormons don't drink Coke" and Pres. Hinckley says something like "Yes, that's right, we don't".

That's the strongest evidence I've heard supporting the notion that the church prohibits caffeine. And from where I'm standing, if the Lord wishes His servant Pres. Hinckley to reveal new doctrine to us, He ain't gonna have him do it on Larry King.

LM

The church strongly counsels against ingesting addictive substances. It takes absolutely no stand on caffeine specifically one way or the other. The closest we've got, is an interview with Larry King and President Hinckley, where Larry is naming off things unique to mormons, and Pres. Hinckley is nodding his head and saying yes. Larry says something like "Mormons don't drink Coke" and Pres. Hinckley says something like "Yes, that's right, we don't".

That's the strongest evidence I've heard supporting the notion that the church prohibits caffeine. And from where I'm standing, if the Lord wishes His servant Pres. Hinckley to reveal new doctrine to us, He ain't gonna have him do it on Larry King.

LM

See, that's what I thought but I had never heard anything about it at all. Mormons seem to drink as much coke as anybody else. My bishop and my husband bond over their passion for Mt. Dew.

Just because a medicine has an addictive substance in it, does not mean one will be addicted to it. If you use the medication only when you are sick, fine.

If you cannot get through a day without a caffeinated pop, then you should probably give it up. (IMO) Switch to a caffeine free pop. If you enjoy one occasionally, then you are not addicted.

I've seen the caffeine/coffee/tea thing much around here, but what of medicines, whether over-the-counter or prescription, that have addictive substances in them?

A worthy question. I believe (and don't quote me here) that legitimate medication under a doctor's orders, for righteous reasons, trump the counsel against addictive substances. Unless it's medicinal marijuana, then for whatever reason, the church fights against making that legal.

I know a good brother who is on a rather strong pain killer that brings with it a strong addiction. He will never be able to get off it, without serious drug rehab. The drug helps him function and live normally, but he is very much not happy about having his well-being tied to a substance with such a vicelike grip on him.

LM

lol and bookmeister, i think that might cancel out the majority of the female lds population!!! -runs to her choccy stash- It's a funny topic, one I've been quite confused about. As a little girl I grew up with the no-caffeine rule. We never had coke/dr pepper in the house or when we went out. It was most certainly off limits. However lots of my YSA friends drink coke and say that its not the caffeine that we're agaisnt its the tannin in tea/coffee and some of those drinking the coke are returned missionaires. I still avoid coke, if anything, because at a mechanics college we used to clean the rusty bike parts by putting them in a class of coke and they'd come out shining the next day! And also because the head of coka-cola said some thing (or perhaps its just a rumour) but I think they said, if we can get some one addicted to coke from a young age, we've got a customer for life. And also it's how I've grown up and caffeine is an addictiv substance.. tho I drink it in lucozade and ultimatly eat it.. in choclate ! :)

Caffeine is clear, odorless and tasteless. Drinks manufacturers add it to beverages because it is extremely addictive. The (ONLY) reason for drinking coffee and tea is to ingest caffeine. There are many other infusions that actually taste better but they enjoy absolutely no popularity because they have only medicinal value rather than stimulant appeal.

I think is is naive and rather a poor attempt to rationalize when we say that drinks that contain caffeine are OK because the WoW does not describe in detail such drinks. I suggest that the spirit of the law has always been a better indicator of what we should do than the letter of it.

Back in the late 70s, at my local ward, members didn't drink tea/coffee/coca cola, some members didn't consume or limited their consumption of chocolate too..I remember buying Carob bars at one point, as a chocolate substitute. I was told that this was because of the caffeine content.

I was surprised to find that members are now allowed to drink coca cola, the cynical side of me wondered if the church had bought shares into the coca cola industry...I don't suppose anyone knows if they do, do they? lol :)

From what I have learned all my life...anything that could be addictive is harmful not only to our bodies but to our spirits as well. Though the Church has never come right out and said...no coke...they have advised against items that contain caffeine as caffeine can be addictive.

How many of you have stayed away from caffeine drinks for a couple of days only to discover you have those horrible headaches. Caffeine withdrawal. I know I have.

Drinking caffeinated drinks won't deny you a temple recommend. It is simply counsel given.

Edited by pam

What about where it occurs naturally, Islander, like chocolate?

In fact, refined sugars are highly addictive as well. Are they against the word of wisdom?

You would have to ingest 20 cups of chocolate in order to receive the same level of stimulant in 1 of coffee. Again, the spirit of the law never pointed to hot cocoa.

I don't think we know why coffee and tea are forbidden. Caffeine is not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom. Has a prophet clarified this? I don't think so.

I don't choose to drink caffinated pop, but that's just a personal choice, because I prefer to not have the stimulant and I've seen people get addicted to it. Any addiction is a loss of freedom, IMO.

Guest DeborahC

Understanding the effects of caffeine upon children is important for Latter-day Saint parents. As seen in the accompanying table, many commonly used beverages and products contain varying amounts of caffeine. The products are listed only for comparison. The Church has taken no stand against any substances containing caffeine other than coffee and tea. As Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote about the Word of Wisdom, “Some people become cranks. … There is no prohibition in Section 89 as to the eating of white sugar, cocoa, chocolate, … or anything else except items classified under tea, coffee, tobacco and liquor. If some particular food disagrees with an individual, then that person should act accordingly without reference to the prohibitions in this particular law of health.” (McConkie, 1966, pp. 845–56.)

My aunt, who lives in Hawaii and has been LDS forever, swears she saw President McConkie give a talk while drinking a Pepsi years ago. Whether this is urban legend or true, I know not... but she swears it's true.

I think we are given much council like the word of wisdom and then the lord expects us to use our own judgement. I actually drink diet mtn dew for the caffine because it makes my arthritis meds work quicker. This was advice from my doc. Could I do without it? Yes. Do I want to? No. If you look at the rules of the church the same applies ? is 10% on my gross or net? answer it is between you and the lord. When my kids turn 12 we let them choose wether to drink caffine or not. At first they kind of go crazy with it and then it has been just here and there. My oldest son won't drink carbination at all. So in my opinion it is up to the individual.

As far as I know there is no official stand against caffeine. I have found through my own experience that I personally should not drink more than 1 or 2 a day and that I sleep easier and more soundly when my last caffeinated drink is consumed before late afternoon. It used to be that you couldn't buy caffeinated sodas in the vending machines at church-owned colleges, I don't know if that is still true today.

The (ONLY) reason for drinking coffee and tea is to ingest caffeine.

Actually, very much untrue. I enjoy the taste of tea and coffee. Sure, I don't usually drink them plain, but the tea or coffee flavor is quite fantastic in the right mix. When I want caffeine, I resort to my 3 diet cokes a day habit. This is where I find the standard interpritations of the WOW pretty incoherent. I'd be in the wrong for the 2-3 coffee or tea drinks I have every week, but totally ok with my raging diet coke addiction. Not that I'm criticizing arbitrary dietary laws.

It's not the caffeine. It's not the tannic acid. It's the addictive properties of anything.

Some of the early brethren explained what was meant by this phrase. Hyrum Smith, brother of the Prophet, wrote: "And again, 'hot drinks are not for the body, or belly;' there ae many who wonder what this can mean; whether it refers to tea, or coffee, or not. I say it does refer to tea, and coffee."

("The Word of Wisdom," Times and Seasons, 1 June 1942, p. 800)

And when the question was brought to the Prophet himself, Joseph Smith said: "I understand that some of the people are excusing themselves in using teat and coffee, because the Lord only said 'hot drinks' in the revelation of the Word of Wisdom. Tea and coffee are what the Lord meant when he said 'hot drinks.'"

(In Widtsoe, Word of Wisdom, pp 85-86)

What about soft drinks containing habit-forming drugs or caffeine, such as cola drinks? Although soft drinks are not mentioned specifically in the Word of Wisdom, an official statement by the Church's leaders reads: "With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided."

(Priesthood Bulletin, Feb. 1972, p. 4)

The only reason we don't drink tea and coffee is that Heavenly Father has commanded it - doesn't matter whats in it we know for some reason its bad for us because we are commanded by God. The Jews wandering round the desert did not understand the considerable health benefits and the lives saved by living Kosher. We do now.

Also caffeine would come under misuse of drugs however if it was completely banned a lot of asprins contain caffeine along with a lot of other drugs.

-Charley

Edited by Elgama

So I was chatting in a message board today with some people who were asking me about the church, and were asking about the coffee/tea issue.

Well, there was another Mormon there that made the claim that NO caffeine whatsoever was supposed to be consumed. None.

I've never heard this, i've just heard coffee and tea. I tried to tell her that what she heard was nonsense, but is there any truth to this?

I have reason to believe that she's just a fanatical anti posing as a member to stir animosity towards the church, but that's another story entirely. Has there ever been a rule about caffeine within the church? Heck I see kids with pop at church all the time.

Looking at Dark Chocolate, are we banned in eating anything that is derived from that? No. It is not the caffeine is the issue with coffee or tea but there is over 200 plus toxic chemicals that can be found in both drinks. Even drinking coffee or tea with extreme heat, is far more damaging than caffeine. Rachelle, moments like this just makes me do a 'knee jerk' when claimed members spit out stuff that is not correct or lack research.

Anything that is taken in extreme is bad for the body...that includes water. :D