God is neat

Guest tomk

Am I the only one who thinks God is neat?

When I see some of the images that are coming back from Hubble, I think God is neat.

I think a lot of these things are for us to study, think about, and investigate. He wants our lives to be interesting and full.

Posted Image

Oh and don't forget all the birds and their "love" mating rituals. I think God is a little bit of a romantic. :)

How about "Bower Birds" -- now there is something that tells us about God.

I think my son agrees with you. He is so interested in the planets and stars. He loves to talk about identifying stuff in the sky. I think we might get him a telescope for Christmas.

Amazing how kids can help you remember the wonder of things. :)

My wife and I have planetarium passes. It's not that expensive and you can see all the shows you want for a whole year :)

Guest Godless

I think my son agrees with you. He is so interested in the planets and stars. He loves to talk about identifying stuff in the sky. I think we might get him a telescope for Christmas.

Amazing how kids can help you remember the wonder of things. :)

I miss my telescope. :(

I have an eight inch telescope. One thing you should know - the photo's you see of nebulas and galaxies and others with beautiful colors, they are made by cameras focused on them for hours. It takes hours for the camera to collect all that light. If you point your telescope at a nebula and think you are going to see reds and greens and blues, you are going to be disappointed. You might see a light puff, like a cloud or fog. But if you want to see the colors like you seen online or in magazines, you are going to have to have to hook a camera to a scope.

Planets on the other hand can be viewed with scopes without cameras. Saturn is awesome. Jupiter is mighty. Mars is nice. Those rings of Saturn are amazing.

Spend a thousand or fifteen hundred on a scope and you will spend three times that on nice eye pieces! lol.

I was thinking of setting the scope up this winter and trying to get the missionaries here to view a planet or two at night. Of course they have to be in by 9pm so it might be hard to pull off.

I have an eight inch telescope. One thing you should know - the photo's you see of nebulas and galaxies and others with beautiful colors, they are made by cameras focused on them for hours. It takes hours for the camera to collect all that light. If you point your telescope at a nebula and think you are going to see reds and greens and blues, you are going to be disappointed. You might see a light puff, like a cloud or fog. But if you want to see the colors like you seen online or in magazines, you are going to have to have to hook a camera to a scope.

Planets on the other hand can be viewed with scopes without cameras. Saturn is awesome. Jupiter is mighty. Mars is nice. Those rings of Saturn are amazing.

Spend a thousand or fifteen hundred on a scope and you will spend three times that on nice eye pieces! lol.

I was thinking of setting the scope up this winter and trying to get the missionaries here to view a planet or two at night. Of course they have to be in by 9pm so it might be hard to pull off.

Most of the really pretty nebula and galaxy pictures are from the Hubble satellite and colorized for helping visualize certain properties, not because that is how the naked eye would see them if you looked out the window of a space ship fairly close to the area. I was so disappointed when I found that out.

Edited by DigitalShadow
I can't type today

The colors are enhanced. Most of the pictures are taken with X-Ray type sensors and gamma ray sensors.

I love looking at the stars and planets too.

I use Hubble pictures as my wallpaper on my computer screen.

Ben Raines

That is so disappointing.

But I bet it really is that colorful in spots, even without artificial color enhancement.

Why can't they get better pictures of some of the planets that are lightyears away?

Because of the relative light given off by the star right next to them. It's like trying to get a good picture of a bug in the middle of a spotlight pointed directly at you.

makes sense.