Taking medication and the Gospel

kathysmike

In another thread on the Word of Wisdom, one of the replies, mentioned taking non life saving medication, as something to be weary of, what concerns me is that for the last decade or more, I have faithfully taken a prescription. While others may not think of this as a life saving drug, for me it has changed my life and allowed me to have clarity of thought and cognitive awareness that had been missing for a number of years. I have been told by countless members that if I applied the proper amount of faith, my need for the medication would no longer exist. My personal belief through much prayer and fasting, is as follows; we know all truth and knowledge comes from one source, and therefore the truths that led to the development of said medication, to treat not only my condition but others that would be considered life threatening, came from the same source. In speaking with my Bishop about this whole subject he instructed me that if I was ever unable to afford the medication, not to do without but let him know and he would see that the church cover the cost.

When I was dating my wife she was well aware of my situation, one of the reasons we married was the fact I promised that I would continue to take the medication as directed, and to this day she will often ask me if I have taken the medication, as she does with my life saving drugs, insulin and other related pills.

After all that my question is this would you continue to take a drug that treated a non life threatening condition as you progress in the gospel ?

As a side note since stating on this drug I have not had a major episode, which I have had many, which led to misery for myself and others around me.

We are to take medication as it is necessary for our well being... Not just life threatening.. Some judge because they do not understand . I am on a pain management program have been for years and have recieved alot of flack for it by some well meaning members. I quit taking my anti-depressants partly because of the flack ... I should have faith and get over it. I am battling greatly from this if I don't get a handle on it I will go back on them. Take your meds.....

Of course I would take the medicine.

You told your wife that you would continue to take the medication before marrying. To turn your back on that deal would be betraying that agreement. Your Bishop, who is your current judge in Israel, is supporting you in taking it. You've fasted and prayed about it.

Ignore the people who ignorantly say you just have to have more faith. The miracle has already occurred and continues to occur.

Others juding me is one reason I now find it very hard to share my experince with others, I joined a LDS online support group( I use that term losely) the owner and other members were so anti medication, I left the group very quickly once they began to tell me I could simply overcome with faith.

My 2 children are the ones who have suffered most as they are (have) been raised by single mothers,due to my not being in control of my thoughts leading to thier mothers deciding it would be best to leave. Fournetly my adult daughter, is doing very well attending school and working fulltime, she is extremly well adjusted, concidering her mom passed away only a few months ago. I ordained son a Deacon a few weeks ago. I try and take an active part in his life, and have enjoyed watching him grow, something I missed out with my daughter.

Do I need more faith so I won't need glasses anymore? (I have very bad eyesight.) The notion is ridiculous!

If your brain doesn't work right you won't work right. Your medicine is your glasses for your brain. There's no shame in that. None at all.

There was an Ensign article on the subject of mental illness. It condemns improper judgement and that there is nothing wrong with taking medication under the supervision of a doctor.

Not taking my meds is not an option, my mind and thoughts are clear except for the fog of every day life we all deal with. The reason these things have been on my mind so much in the last few months, is my wife and I are preparing to be sealed, papers are currently in Salt Lake, and upon clearance from the 1st presidency we will be sealed, in the Detroit Temple, an event that I(we) have postponed long enough. My wife is very anxious for this to happen as she feels short changed can't say I blame her. I have examined my life and past mistakes in hopes of better understanding myself and not to repeat the and same mistakes. My Stake President a doctor, a close family friend has been very supportive of our desires, and my continued treatment.

ruthie you are right but for me the judgement comes , they can't see the pain... they sometimes see the depression problems... Some members still judge.

Prospectmom,

I know how difficult it is when people judge unfairly. I have chronic pain and other issues. . . for 20 years now. I've learned that through education you can stop some of the judgement. As I've been more outspoken about chronic health issues I've been amazed at how many others have been suffering in silence without support. . .and were so close to me. By opening myself up (maybe to more criticism) I found and developed close friendships with others who were struggling too. I know that this isn't the answser for everyone, but it helped me to find others who were fearful of being unfairly judged.

Hang in there and let the Atonement work.

applepansy

I am very glad that is working and mabey in time I can do the same. I am isolated at this time due to distance and weather. That is one of the reasons I love this site so I can connect in some way. Most people on this site are very supportive. My pain is very real , even my family dosen't always understand...... I educate myself as much as possible on dealing with my pain in not just medicinal ways.

Thank You Apple for your kind words

I have been told by countless members that if I applied the proper amount of faith, my need for the medication would no longer exist.

Shame on those ignorant people. This is the 21st century - there is no excuse for that level of destructive ignorance.

Here's what our church leaders actually have to say about the issue. Here are some exerpts from Myths about Mental Illness, By Elder Alexander B. Morrison of the Seventy, given in the October 2005 Ensign. This talk is a summary of a book he wrote about the issue.

Myths and Misconceptions

1. All mental illness is caused by sin.

The truth is that many faithful Latter-day Saints who live the commandments and honor their covenants experience struggles with mental illness or are required to deal with the intense pain and suffering of morally righteous but mentally ill family members. Their burdens—and they are many—can be lifted only by love, understanding, and acceptance.

2. Someone is to blame for mental illness.

Ascribing blame for mental illness causes unnecessary suffering for all concerned and takes time and energy which would better be used to increase understanding of what actually is happening—to get a complete assessment and proper diagnosis of the illness involved, to understand the causes, to get proper medication and learn behavioral and cognitive techniques that are part of the healing process. As victims, loved ones, and all the rest of us increase our understanding, then patience, forgiveness, and empathy will replace denial, anger, and rejection.

3. All that people with mental illness need is a priesthood blessing.

We must understand, however, without in any way denigrating the unique role of priesthood blessings, that ecclesiastical leaders are spiritual leaders and not mental health professionals. Most of them lack the professional skills and training to deal effectively with deep-seated mental illnesses and are well advised to seek competent professional assistance for those in their charge who are in need of it.

4. Mentally ill persons just lack willpower.

There are some who mistakenly believe that the mentally ill just need to “snap out of it, show a little backbone, and get on with life.” Those who believe that way display a grievous lack of knowledge and compassion.

5. All mentally ill persons are dangerous and should be locked up.

The truth is that the vast majority of people with mental illness are not violent, and the great majority of crimes of violence are not committed by persons who are mentally ill. 1

6. Mental illness doesn’t strike children and young people. As noted by the National Institute of Mental Health, the truth is that an estimated 10 percent of children in the United States suffer from a mental health disorder that disrupts their functioning at home, in school, or in the community.

7. Whatever the cause, mental illness is untreatable.

As mentioned, during the past 40 years numerous medications have been developed by the multinational pharmaceutical industry. These products have proven of inestimable worth to millions. They are not perfect, nor do they work effectively in every instance—far from it, unfortunately. But we are getting closer to the day when physicians will have available effective drugs which are specific in correcting the biochemical lesions concerned, without the side effects which too often limit the effectiveness of medications today.

The reason these things have been on my mind so much in the last few months, is my wife and I are preparing to be sealed,

Take your meds ... you are being discourage by the adversary because of your choice to be sealed. He will use anything ... most of all discouragement to bring you down.

I got off anti-depressants because it made me feel like a zombie ... not a good condition for a control freak. I would never consider not taking the others I take. Shame on those who judge ... it will come back and bite them in the ... well you choose.

Part of having faith is excepting the lords help, sometimes that help is through inspiring doctors to develop medications for various problems, and other medical breakthroughs. in my opinion, not taking medication that is helping, may be denying the Lords help in this. Remember that most prayers and help from the lord is not through some mighty "miracle", but through the small miracles brought by others. I firmly believe that these include the modern day advancements we all enjoy and include all of the new medical breakthroughs we have.

Medication is necessary at times but I think we should try to find as many options that are natural as possible. I know someone who is overweight by 20 kilograms and she has a problem with portions of her foot that have torn. She definently needs to use pain medications but if she would loose the excess weight that would be like taking a 20 kilo backpack off your shoulders -- which might cause the problem to heal or at least get far less severe.

I think we are way too into the drug thing -- no doubt due to the influence of huge drug-making corporations wining and dining doctors, lobbying in congress and even the ads we now see on TV that would not have been allowed in the early 1990s.

Along with what Finnan said, it's interesting to consider what would happen in times where you had to rely on your own food storage. It probably means you'll have little or no access to your prescription medications. Think about it a while - what would life be like without your pills?

I'm thinking a realistic answer to that question is worthwile for us all to have.

In another thread on the Word of Wisdom, one of the replies, mentioned taking non life saving medication, as something to be weary of, what concerns me is that for the last decade or more, I have faithfully taken a prescription. While others may not think of this as a life saving drug, for me it has changed my life and allowed me to have clarity of thought and cognitive awareness that had been missing for a number of years. I have been told by countless members that if I applied the proper amount of faith, my need for the medication would no longer exist. My personal belief through much prayer and fasting, is as follows; we know all truth and knowledge comes from one source, and therefore the truths that led to the development of said medication, to treat not only my condition but others that would be considered life threatening, came from the same source. In speaking with my Bishop about this whole subject he instructed me that if I was ever unable to afford the medication, not to do without but let him know and he would see that the church cover the cost.

When I was dating my wife she was well aware of my situation, one of the reasons we married was the fact I promised that I would continue to take the medication as directed, and to this day she will often ask me if I have taken the medication, as she does with my life saving drugs, insulin and other related pills.

After all that my question is this would you continue to take a drug that treated a non life threatening condition as you progress in the gospel ?

As a side note since stating on this drug I have not had a major episode, which I have had many, which led to misery for myself and others around me.

Mike, the Savior will not think otherwise you are taking medication to ensure you are functioning properly. The question to ask yourself, when taking this medication do I still feel the Holy Ghost?

If I didn't have my hypothyroid medicine I would be a walking zombie, assuming I could get out of bed at all (sleepiness and lack of cognitive brain function being common symptoms). I tried going about 2 years without my medicine, thinking I didn't really need it and I could use willpower. Turns out my willpower went pretty much all into daily motor functions. Fortunately my daughter was really little so she didn't get shortchanged quite as much as she would be if I tried that now.

Medicines are created by people inspired of God, for the benefit of His children. Like the internet :P

Take your medicine!

Edited by talisyn
spelling lol

The question to ask yourself, when taking this medication do I still feel the Holy Ghost?

That's an appropriate question for some people. I know other people who struggle mightily to feel anything good or positive, either on or off medication. On top of that, finding a correct medication can be like a game of horseshoes or darts - you don't end up with the right balance on the first try.

In some rare cases, some folks are faced with the choice of 1) no meds, feeling the holy ghost, but not being able to hold down a job or keep together a marriage; and 2) meds, diminished or missing ability to feel the spirit, but able to function in society and in a family.

Folks with mental health issues sometimes have a very unique set of challenges, and often common-sense answers like "do what keeps you close to God" have extra dimensions and complications that need addressing.

LM

I know someone who is overweight by 20 kilograms and she has a problem with portions of her foot that have torn. She definently needs to use pain medications but if she would loose the excess weight that would be like taking a 20 kilo backpack off your shoulders -- which might cause the problem to heal or at least get far less severe.

With all due respect a statement like this is the same as someone being condemed for taking medications that help the quality of their lives. We need to stop judging and start helping ... I have strughgled with weight all my life and believe me this kind of statement does not help at all. needing to use meds or being over weight makes us no less human. Nor does is make us less deserving or less productive. I have 4 church callings a full time job and I raise train and show dogs and in between all that I have a busy life.

There is a saying ...don't judge someone until you have walked a mile in their mocassins. When you have been where I am or your firend is or where the brother on meds is don't judge.