weapons in the home?

Guest Ceeboos_Boss

Guest Ceeboos_Boss

Not enough swinging room, those things are huge! Great katanas are out for the same reason. Crossbows though, that I like.

It's great that people have kids that will understand and respect guns enough that they will leave them alone and are not curious about them. My little spawn and her cousins, however, are enthralled with Star Wars: Clone Wars to the point where they tried to make their own lightsabers using parts of an electric fence (yes the zappy parts), a couple of sparklers left over from New Year's Eve, rope, and a couple sticks of bamboo. Sparks and hilarity ensued (so I was told, I was at work at the time).

I can just imagine the conversation involving projectile weapons:

Jer: Hey let's pretend the stray cats are evil Sith lords and we have to stop them!

Elijiah: Ok, let's grab our lightsabers!

Genie: Why do we always have to be Jedi? Let's be Sith!

Jer: But we don't have red lightsabers...

Genie: We can be droidikas! I'll go get mom's guns!

Yeah no guns in my house for about 5 more years.

That sounds like my son and his 2 little friends... :rolleyes:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some thoughts about guns.

If you own a gun and have any ideas about using it for protection then please understand a few things. If you have any problems or concerns about killing someone you are in trouble – you are more likely to be killed than to survive a situation that you use your gun for protection. Using a gun to threaten someone is as likely to get you killed as to keep you and your family safe.

If you load a gun you have made the decision to use it – all you need and waiting for is the opportunity. An unloaded gun is more likely to get you killed than a loaded gun.

I can make a gun from materials found in most homes and garages. More gun restriction laws will not keep guns from those that do not obey the law – it will only make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to be safe in their own homes. It is already illegal for a convicted felon to have a gun in their possession. If you want to make society safer then the law should make the use of a gun to commit any crime a capital offense. The decision to use a gun has already been made by anyone that is willing to possess a gun. (Looking, inspecting and handling someone else’s gun(s) in their presents and under their supervision is not possessing a firearm unless you are considering firing it.) BTW – if you are a felon and are allowed to handle a gun then both you and the person allowing the handling are guilt of a crime.

Last thought – if you own a gun with the intent of using it, for hunting, sport or any other reason you should fire that gun on a range at least once a month.

The Traveler

The reason that the military, especially security forces (air force police) are seriously thinking of switching back to the .45 is that anything less has trouble going through windshields.

Perimiter control, 6-8 foot fence dug 2 feet deep with barbed wire on top, good lighting, no trees within 20 feet of the perimiter and a couple of dogs is a good start. One bullet proof vest and one gun is better than two guns.

Even small caliber weapons have a psychological effect on people. Most women would do fine with either a .22 or .38 caliber pistol. They won't kill a person, but if a person is hit with a .22, they probably are going to stop their attack, and run.

The reality is, very few people are going to keep attacking when under such risk. And those that do are usually under some serious drugs, of which almost nothing is going to stop them easily.

So, if you want an easy weapon to use, the small calibers are just fine.

Another point on this, M-16s and AR-15s are bullets that are just barely larger than a .22, but with more power in the cartridge (more grains of powder). These weapons are not designed to kill, but to wound/stop a person. A .44 slug will blast a huge hole into a person on the way in and out. A .22 will bounce around inside, causing damage in a different way (sometimes more than a large caliber).

And while a .38 caliber can bounce off a car's front windshield, that usually isn't the point of protecting your home. A .38 will definitely slow down most people and make them think twice.

As for hunting, smaller caliber weapons are usually better. Why? Because there is more small than large game. Also, you damage less meat, etc.

And crossbows, while archaic, do make for good defense. Once someone has a bolt or two stuck in him, he's not going to do much more against you. And I don't need a license for it.

Not enough swinging room, those things are huge! Great katanas are out for the same reason. Crossbows though, that I like.

I think that the claymores suggested were actually the military explosives. They work very well in hallways and well worn paths, as you direct the explosion into a specific area.

I was wondering what people on this sites feelings are about having weapons in the home (with or with out children)..

I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet so I though id look for other peoples thoughts.

Thanks

CB;)

I vote for rolling pin! It is very good to have!

I'm coming a little late to the party, but here's my take, for what it's worth.

Unless you have a legitimate concern or fear that someone is going to come into your home with the intent to harm you, there's no need to keep a firearm under your pillow or next to your bed. In fact, unless you have the concern that someone will come to harm you, you are probably better off locking your guns in a cabinet with your ammunition locked away somewhere else in a fire-proof box.

Although you may keep your firearms carefully locked away, it is imperative that you teach your children how to properly use and care for the weapons. They must develop the proper respect for them. Many of the rules suggested already on this thread are good rules to instill. Particularly, never point a gun at a person; keep the muzzle up or down range; and if you shoot it, you eat it.

If you're intent for keeping a firearm is to protect against home invaders who don't have the intent to harm you, i.e. burglars and thieves, there are better ways to defend your home. First, keep a baseball bat next to your bed--it's fairly benign and it doesn't provoke the feelings of awe and curiosity that firearms do. Second, remember that if someone invades your home, you're not supposed to confront the invader. If you suspect there is someone in your home, you should remember that people who are breaking the law don't like to be caught. So stomp on the floor, call out, and say something like, "To whoever is in the house, I'm calling the police in 60 seconds." If there is a burglar in the house, he or she will realize you're awake and, 99.9% of the time, will leave immediately. Lastly, you and your well-being are infinitely more important than your belongings, which we hope are covered by homeowner's/renter's insurance anyway.

When people get hurt during home invasions, it's almost always because of one of two reasons: 1) the burglar was confronted, felt trapped, panicked, and attacked the homeowner in order to get away, or 2) the burglar intended to harm the homeowner anyway. Situation 2) is fairly rare, and usually doesn't come about without some idea that it could happen. Generally, you can treat home invaders as you would an animal in the woods: assume that he is more afraid of you than you are of him; stand where you are and make lots of noise.

Of course, if you have reason to believe that someone might want to come and harm you or your family, a different approach will have to be taken. I would advise you to speak with law enforcement officials about getting the proper licensing, registration, and training for holding a firearm. They will also have great tips about how to manage the guns in your home safely in these circumstances.

I'm surprised no one (at least that I saw) mention 1 on the fundamental rules of proper gun safety.

And what is with this if you shoot it it eat? I have grown up around guns all my life and have never heard this. Good advice but not a rule.

The 3 rules are

1 Never point a gun at something you don't want to destroy (some times you "need" to destroy a person so it is ok to point it at people, some times you don't want to destroy your car so don't point it there and there will be no issue)

2 Guns are always loaded even when they are not. (treat a gun like it is always loaded and your buddie won't be on the 6 o clock news saying "we thought is was empty"

3 (the one no one mentioned) Keep your finger of the trigger until read to shoot.

There is a video of a police office who, while trying to prove how safe Glocks are, proves why this is so important by accidentally firing a round into the department floor.

I'm coming a little late to the party, but here's my take, for what it's worth.

Unless you have a legitimate concern or fear that someone is going to come into your home with the intent to harm you, there's no need to keep a firearm under your pillow or next to your bed. In fact, unless you have the concern that someone will come to harm you, you are probably better off locking your guns in a cabinet with your ammunition locked away somewhere else in a fire-proof box.

Although you may keep your firearms carefully locked away, it is imperative that you teach your children how to properly use and care for the weapons. They must develop the proper respect for them. Many of the rules suggested already on this thread are good rules to instill. Particularly, never point a gun at a person; keep the muzzle up or down range; and if you shoot it, you eat it.

If you're intent for keeping a firearm is to protect against home invaders who don't have the intent to harm you, i.e. burglars and thieves, there are better ways to defend your home. First, keep a baseball bat next to your bed--it's fairly benign and it doesn't provoke the feelings of awe and curiosity that firearms do. Second, remember that if someone invades your home, you're not supposed to confront the invader. If you suspect there is someone in your home, you should remember that people who are breaking the law don't like to be caught. So stomp on the floor, call out, and say something like, "To whoever is in the house, I'm calling the police in 60 seconds." If there is a burglar in the house, he or she will realize you're awake and, 99.9% of the time, will leave immediately. Lastly, you and your well-being are infinitely more important than your belongings, which we hope are covered by homeowner's/renter's insurance anyway.

When people get hurt during home invasions, it's almost always because of one of two reasons: 1) the burglar was confronted, felt trapped, panicked, and attacked the homeowner in order to get away, or 2) the burglar intended to harm the homeowner anyway. Situation 2) is fairly rare, and usually doesn't come about without some idea that it could happen. Generally, you can treat home invaders as you would an animal in the woods: assume that he is more afraid of you than you are of him; stand where you are and make lots of noise.

Of course, if you have reason to believe that someone might want to come and harm you or your family, a different approach will have to be taken. I would advise you to speak with law enforcement officials about getting the proper licensing, registration, and training for holding a firearm. They will also have great tips about how to manage the guns in your home safely in these circumstances.

i'll go back to an earlier mention...IF someone is in your home, and IF they are planning on doing harm to you, your family etc, a baseball bat will make most of these dirtbags laugh...the lovely sound of a 12 ga shoutgun being pumped....not so much...and 911 doesn't mean the cops are going to teleport to your house....and these thugs know this.

depending on your city, where you live in your city, etc, 911 response time is 5-30 min, or if you live in a rural area, closer to 30. it goes back to keeping your toys to yourself, that way prying eyes won't see what you have. with the current economic downturn the ghetto is expanding, the silly geese who would only rob their neighbors on 10th street,are gonna move on to the nicer section of town...cause they know if there is a gun..its locked away, the the owner don't konw how to use it.

Keep to yourself, keep a NRA sticker on your big 4x4 in the driveway....and shell casings on the porch....should be enough of a deterent i think

Excellent post, MOE. I'm with you on most of it, just a few comments:

Unless you have a legitimate concern or fear that someone is going to come into your home with the intent to harm you, there's no need to keep a firearm under your pillow or next to your bed.

I'd agree with that. I'd also suggest a review of your city's crime statistics to see how prevalent violent home invasions are. Here in Colo Springs, there have been quite a few of them recently. Even one totally random armed kidnapping.

Second, remember that if someone invades your home, you're not supposed to confront the invader. ... So stomp on the floor, call out, and say something like, "To whoever is in the house, I'm calling the police in 60 seconds." If there is a burglar in the house, he or she will realize you're awake and, 99.9% of the time, will leave immediately.

Well, "supposed to" is what's codified in law, and that varies from state to state. Some states figure you're supposed to flee the home if possible - and you commit a crime if you defend your home. Colorado has a "make my day" law which means you're not guilty of a crime if you use deadly force to protect your home and the stuff in it. It's important to know the laws of your state before planning for handling an encounter.

That said, MOE's advice is still very sound and accurate. I'd much rather say "We've called the police and I am armed" than his suggestion, but the basic theory still fits.

Before you use your gun to stop an attack, you should try to deter the attack in the first place. Before you deter, you should try to evade/avoid the attack in the first place.

Avoid: Good lighting, neighborhood watch, solid locks, alarm system (dogs count), making it obvious you're home, etc.

Evade: Running away and calling the cops from a neighbor's house, etc.

Deter: Doing the stomp on the floor thing and making your intentions known.

You ought to give all of these a try whenever possible, before turning to your gun.

I would advise you to speak with law enforcement officials about getting the proper licensing, registration, and training for holding a firearm. They will also have great tips about how to manage the guns in your home safely in these circumstances.

Very much excellent advice, as long as the cops in your area actually care about the 2nd amendment. Many don't. Our local cops have openly stated they wish every single homeowner would carry a gun in their own home. Not all cops would agree - many assume a gun means you're a bad guy.

LM

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

JBS also put up an excellent post. I only have one issue:

Keep to yourself, keep a NRA sticker on your big 4x4 in the driveway....and shell casings on the porch....should be enough of a deterent i think

Those things are not deterrents, they're burglar magnets. You are basically putting up a big sign in your yard saying "there are guns in this house". Burglars will skip over the next house to come into yours, because guns are great things to steal.

LM

JBS also put up an excellent post. I only have one issue:

Those things are not deterrents, they're burglar magnets. You are basically putting up a big sign in your yard saying "there are guns in this house". Burglars will skip over the next house to come into yours, because guns are great things to steal.

LM

people that would come in a house, knowing the resident was there, and well armed.... would win an darwin award

This is one of those issues that divides people.

There is a culture in some parts of the US, Utah/Idaho/Nevada/Texas/Montana/Wyoming etc where guns are just a very basic part of the culture, and there is a belief that exposing children to them is a good thing because, in that culture, they will be exposed to them frequently anyway, and it is good to teach them. In this culture guns represent "independence" and a way of life (hunting, sporting)

Then there are other parts of the US, where guns arent generally part of the culture - and there is a belief that there simply isnt any worthwhile reason to bring guns into a home with children. In these parts of the county, in that culture, guns tend to represent needless violence, crime, illicit activities.

So if you tell someone in the first culture that they should avoid gun in the home, where children are present, they are likely to react like you are attacking their very culture. Likewise, if you tell someone in the second culture they -should- have a gun in their home, they are likely to react like you are telliing them to engage in a risky behavior for no good reason,.

But these are two completely valid points of view, because there multiple cultures in this country, and both are just as "American" as the other.

I personally abhor guns, and think that there is no reasonable place for them in a home with children, unless you live far out in the country somewhere, where there are bears, mountain lions, etc. If you live in Salt Lake City, or San Jose California, or New York City - then no, I dont think there is any justification for having guns in a home with kids. This is just my opinion, but I feel that buying guns for "protection" in urban environments is more harmful than beneficial, especially when children are present. There is no real reason to expose a city-child to guns (in my opnion). When I lived in rural Montana, in the rockies, I never carried a gun, just bear-spray. But in that enviroment, I think guns made sense for many families, even those with children.

Since the Latter-day Saints originated in a western/frontier culture, you'll probably have a lot of pro-gun people here. And there really isnt anything wrong with having different opinions. What it comes down to is, if you have guns in your home, and you have children, your most important responsibility is to make darn sure your kids arent going to play with them unsupervised.

Edited by WilliamT

Even small caliber weapons have a psychological effect on people. Most women would do fine with either a .22 or .38 caliber pistol. They won't kill a person, but if a person is hit with a .22, they probably are going to stop their attack, and run.

The reality is, very few people are going to keep attacking when under such risk. And those that do are usually under some serious drugs, of which almost nothing is going to stop them easily.

So, if you want an easy weapon to use, the small calibers are just fine.

Another point on this, M-16s and AR-15s are bullets that are just barely larger than a .22, but with more power in the cartridge (more grains of powder). These weapons are not designed to kill, but to wound/stop a person. A .44 slug will blast a huge hole into a person on the way in and out. A .22 will bounce around inside, causing damage in a different way (sometimes more than a large caliber).

And while a .38 caliber can bounce off a car's front windshield, that usually isn't the point of protecting your home. A .38 will definitely slow down most people and make them think twice.

As for hunting, smaller caliber weapons are usually better. Why? Because there is more small than large game. Also, you damage less meat, etc.

And crossbows, while archaic, do make for good defense. Once someone has a bolt or two stuck in him, he's not going to do much more against you. And I don't need a license for it.

The military 5.56 is a unbalance round and meant to be that way. After hitting an object, it will tumble along major bone elements and cause more damage.

people that would come in a house, knowing the resident was there, and well armed.... would win an darwin award
Right - and all the burglars that wouldn't win the award, have at least rudimentary ways of finding out if you're home or not.

Advertising the presence of guns in your home, is a way to make your home a target.

LM