Don't know if this goes here: Is it wrong to find a certain kind of girl attractive?

BrioCyrain

Well, yeah. I just wanted your guys opinion on something, something my siblings seem to find messed up.

Ok I like a certain type of girl, and that mostly involves them being..."asian". Yeah my sister hates me since I guess a bunch of people at BYU said they want to marry an asian girl right when other american girls were around, which tbh I wouldn't say that in public. So now my sister and others think it's rude to think a certain kind of girl is better than them, which make sense but some american girls just don't interest me all that much.

So should I have this sense of duty to marry only americans, or why can't I can't I just live like the person I am who finds asians attractive, and cool, and even heart-lifting, both asians my gender and the opposite. So do you think it's wrong to think this way?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Godless

There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever, though I think some people of Asian descent may take issue with not being considered Americans (ie, it's okay to call the BYU crowd white).

It is not wrong at all. You are attracted to who you are attracted to, and there is no "right" or "wrong" about it. Being a Latter-day Saint, just make sure they're devoted to God, also be sure that you have given the difference in cultures serious thought. The church does counsel, wisely, to be wary for this reason: Sometimes large differences cause a lot of friction, for example I know of an American (caucasian) lds man who married a Japanese girl. Their marraige was good, but they did have a lot of trouble at the beginning because she did not speak English well, and he did not speak Japanese well. There are also often differences in cultural values to look out for. The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing, and I think in this case the main thing is: unselfishness and patience.

If you are someone who has a lot of patience with others even when they are different than you, than perhaps it applies less. However this is one point you need to be very very honest with yourself about, because you dont want to run into a lot of trouble because of your lack of insight.

I will be unpopular perhaps for saying this next bit, but correct. It is often the lot of many to imply that there is "right" or "wrong" involved if you are not attracted to them. This is incorrect and more often simply represents their own frustration with the dating scene. Nobody is entitled to have you be attracted to them. I know I've had my own share of women who were not attracted to me, but thats fine, it represents their tastes and could not be said to be any statement about my worthiness to date in general.

However I would advise that it is wise to be sensitive to the needs of others and do not be callous with the feelings and needs of others, regardless if you are attracted to them. You can say "not interested" in a nice way.

Edited by MikeUpton

Well, yeah. I just wanted your guys opinion on something, something my siblings seem to find messed up.

Ok I like a certain type of girl, and that mostly involves them being..."asian". Yeah my sister hates me since I guess a bunch of people at BYU said they want to marry an asian girl right when other american girls were around, which tbh I wouldn't say that in public. So now my sister and others think it's rude to think a certain kind of girl is better than them, which make sense but some american girls just don't interest me all that much.

So should I have this sense of duty to marry only americans, or why can't I can't I just live like the person I am who finds asians attractive, and cool, and even heart-lifting, both asians my gender and the opposite. So do you think it's wrong to think this way?

Spencer Kimball did...Camilla in his old age. As I do with my wife. Everyday, I have that strong affection for her presence and her company.

The world is filled with our brothers and sisters, no matter the creed, the culture, or skin pigmentation.

I will be unpopular perhaps for saying this next bit, but correct. It is often the lot of many to imply that there is "right" or "wrong" involved if you are not attracted to them.

Boo-urns, Mike. I believe he is wrong and should analyze why he is only attracted to Asians. Is it because of some love of the exotic? Some feeling that they might be more pliable to his will? Is he an Anime nerd desperately trying to capture the cool feeling of the Japanese Cartoons that he watches? I'm not saying having a type is bad, but if you're only attracted to that type it will hamstring you your whole life.

And I'm not saying that because he's not attracted to me.

i think it is normal to be attracted to a certain, "type" and everyone has their type..and we are attracted to what we are attracted to, and i've always thought that as you get to know someone better, and a bond grows, she will become more attractive to you...regardless of where you started

What about Asian Americans?

Are you attracted to Asians as a race for physical features"( like some guys like blonds) or Asians as in culture ?(like some guys like Swedes)

In either event there is nothing wrong with having a preference. Next time these women get mad at you try to hook them up with the shortest men you know.:D

Hahah. I like non-artsy chicks! I...

Actually, now that you mention it, I've never dated a non-smart girl for more than one date. :o

yeah, a good head on her shoulders is a must...i went out one with one girl that was a complete dummy....i've had better conversations with a brick wall.... not nice to say i know....but yeah.....

I read once (please don't ask me to find the reference, because I just got off work ><) that girls decide on their ideal guy attributes when they are 8 years old. I guess that would apply for guys too?

At work there was a few Asian-Americans hired the last round and omgosh the girls are just adorable, like little dolls, so I can see why you would like them physically. That being said these are people, with all the feelings and flaws and absolutely not dolls to be played with. Try to not have preconceived notions about how your dates must be and you just might find the girl of your dreams.

And keep in mind the girl you need may not fit your picture. Case in point, my fiance and I. He likes cute little Japanese girls (what's with the schoolgirl uniform anyways? How can that be such a fetish?) and happily ends up with a viking goddess instead. I like hugely tall vikingish guys and happily end up with a medium tall guy from Philly. Love is weird like that :P

Edited by talisyn
spelling

Deciding on whom to choose for marriage should be the most selfish choice you ever make. Because you'll be spending a lifetime or an eternity serving this person, you dang well better pick one you actually like the most...

So now my sister and others think it's rude to think a certain kind of girl is better than them

Geez - can you imagine marrying someone out of misplaced guilt? Picking a mate for the sole purpose of proving to people that you don't particularly like her any more than anyone else - yeah, that's not a disaster waiting to happen or anything...

"Hi, I think you're the most wonderful person I ever met. Sorry - can't get married! That would make all the other women out there think I'm judging them not as good!"

Oy.

LM

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

And keep in mind the girl you need may not fit your picture. Case in point, my fiance and I. He likes cute little Japanese girls (what's with the schoolgirl uniform anyways? How can that be such a fetish?) and happily ends up with a viking goddess instead. I like hugely tall vikingish guys and happily end up with a medium tall guy from Philly. Love is weird like that :P

I think it is a fetish all guys go through. I to was into Asians and married a Florida beach babe.

(what's with the schoolgirl uniform anyways? How can that be such a fetish?)

I think it stems from the Japanese school system. IIRC Boys and girls are separated throughout school. Many people like the exotic. When my Buddie got back from Spain he said he was in heaven because most of the dark hared Spanish ladies (his preference) were ignored while the Spanish men flocked to the exotic blond Americans.

I never knew a guy that was attracted to a Swedish woman because of her culture. Isn't it their fabulous bodies? I dare the men to make a good case that I'm wrong here.

The swedish have a fabulous culture, Wing! :mad: Fabulous, full-bodied culture. It is a culture of the zeitgeist! It is the modern psyco-political nation of liberalism in the agnostic European market.

Does that make me seem deeper when I say the Swedish Bikini Team is the pinnacle of culture? :confused:

I never knew a guy that was attracted to a Swedish woman because of her culture. Isn't it their fabulous bodies? I dare the men to make a good case that I'm wrong here.

Ok I know I'm stereotyping here but, yes you can like a persons personality based on culture. Being in the service i know many guy who are married to Asians that they married because of their(the Asians) meekness when compared to Americans. Northern European Women that i have met (not a whole lot granted) have a Stronger tougher side then most. The type of women who won't come running in the garage so you can come in an kill a spider, she will do it herself. Some men find that attractive.

But no the bodies don't hurt either:D

Having traveled to Asia there are many reasons an American male would find these ladies attractive. Except for oral care they are beautiful, friendly and gracious. I would also note that Americans are very easy to spot when traveling – most likely they are the obnoxious, arrogant, laude and overweight.

The Traveler

Having traveled to Asia there are many reasons an American male would find these ladies attractive. Except for oral care they are beautiful, friendly and gracious. I would also note that Americans are very easy to spot when traveling – most likely they are the obnoxious, arrogant, laude and overweight.

The Traveler

So which part of the states are you from then?