A true princess: Miss California

Wingnut

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me like she thought each individual state should vote and decide whether or not gay marriage should be legalized.

Her answer addressed individual choice but does not mention states.

Here's an excerpt:

Perez Hilton: "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?"

Prejean answered: "I think it's great Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be - between a man and a woman."

Her answer addressed the freedoms upheld by this country but does not address if the states should legalize it.

I don't like that she dealt with Perez Hilton's nastiness either.

With that being said, anyone with a half a brain and pageant experience knows that you DIRECTLY answer the question you were asked. She did not, and furthermore she bumbled over her words and spoke very un-eloquently. That would have lost her the crown EVEN IF she had answered the way Perez wanted her to. You do have to have some semblance of articulate speech if you want to make a career move like Miss America which heavily involves public speaking.

That's the facts. It's really cool that she spoke her mind about the issue. However, the question wasn't "do you agree with homosexuality". She completely misunderstood the question in the first place.

Kudos to her, but she wouldn't have won if she was wearing a dress made out of a Rainbow Flag.

The answer was one that was stumbled over. Then again, if I'm not mistaken, it's very unexpected to have to answer a hot-button political issue given by a well-known homosexual celebrity, and to have to answer in a way that is non-offensive, but honest. That her answer was not smooth or canned or vacuous may have cost her the crown, and lost her technical points. Yet, her answer was more effective and persuasive to her true beliefs than anything the Paegant might have prefered. After all, look at all the press she's gotten.

She said she was opposed to g/l marriage....that is about like saying, NO, I don't think the other states should legalize g/l marriage...no?

No, not necessarily. Because, I am opposed to same-sex marriage as well, but I have no problem with Massachussets and Connecticut legalizing it since it was voted on. Vermont, on the other hand, I completely do not agree with since it was effected by legislation without vote. And that would have been my answer to that question if I was Miss California...

She said she was opposed to g/l marriage....that is about like saying, NO, I don't think the other states should legalize g/l marriage...no?

No.

They instruct you in pageants to respond specifically to the question. Period. If anything, they usually even tell you to restate the question with your answer to avoid losing points for not staying exactly on topic.

I have done dozens of pageants. Her answer would not be given high points.

Prisonchaplin- I got asked a question about affirmative action by an african-american judge in one of the first pageants I ever won. That was in high school. Sure I was thrown a little off-guard but if a high schooler can do it then I would certainly expect Miss America (who usually has done HUNDREDS of pageants prior) to be able to do it.

I'm not saying her answer was wrong or stupid, it's just not an accepted form. She would have lost anyway.

On another note, Perez Hilton is somewhat hated by the gay community for his "outing" of certain celebrities who wanted to keep their sexuality private. He is not representative of the entire community. Also, he is an idiot.

No, not necessarily. Because, I am opposed to same-sex marriage as well, but I have no problem with Massachussets and Connecticut legalizing it since it was voted on. Vermont, on the other hand, I completely do not agree with since it was effected by legislation without vote. And that would have been my answer to that question if I was Miss California...

While Perez would have probably still called you a b*, that would have been a more acceptable answer because it specifically addresses the question about legalization in states.

Did not realize that Rachelle's answer was based upon experience. I agree that she stumbled a bit, though I did not realize that the answering was so stringent. Wish we could hold politicians to that standard.

I still am of the thought that at the national pageant level, tossing out firebomb questions like that--again especially given the character of the judge--was far outside normal protocols. Ironic that, imho, while he cost her the crown, Perez probably did his cause a bit of public relations harm.

I still am of the thought that at the national pageant level, tossing out firebomb questions like that--again especially given the character of the judge--was far outside normal protocols. Ironic that, imho, while he cost her the crown, Perez probably did his cause a bit of public relations harm.

My understanding of the Miss Universe pageant is that the questions are submitted prior to the pageant and it is completely random who gets to ask the questions. Although, it is too much of a coincidence that Perez got to ask that particular question to Miss California of all people... I suspect some underhanded maneouvering.

After seeing Miss California...... in her bikini :cool:......I can't imagine how a man could ever want to marry another man....:confused::huh::huh:.....not that I could have imagined that before...but...

I saw a news clip of Miss California's performance. It makes me glad I don't watch these pageants at all. The dress is so immodest by contestants it is embarrassing to me.

I am glad she believes that marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

My understanding of the Miss Universe pageant is that the questions are submitted prior to the pageant and it is completely random who gets to ask the questions. Although, it is too much of a coincidence that Perez got to ask that particular question to Miss California of all people... I suspect some underhanded maneouvering.

I thought so too. Big conflict of interest there, IMO.

On another note, if it were true that Miss California lost because of her answer, and not the format then I would think there would be some SERIOUS confidentiality clauses broken by Idiot.....I mean Perez. A lot of pageants won't let contestants see their score sheets, and they aren't allowed to discuss the results of the pageant with you for well after the pageant is over. I would have to assume Miss America has something like that, but perhaps not.

I for one think it would be really funny if she sued. REALLY funny. Or if she had just climbed off the stage afterwards and pummeled Hilton.

Although I disagree with Miss California about gay marriage, I do admire her for standing up for her beliefs. It's shameful, IMO, that it should cost her the crown and that some people are giving her such a hard time over it. In fact, I don't think they should have asked such a political question at all at the Miss USA pageant--just leave politics out of it!

In any case, why can't people disagree without being disagreeable about it?

HEP

In any case, why can't people disagree without being disagreeable about it?

HEP

Because gosh darn it, they're upholding truth, justice, the American Way and apple pie don'tcha know?*

*This applies to people on both sides in multiple subjects.

Guest JoshDwellington

I just watched the thing on youtube, and I would have cheered as well !

Like stated many times before :

1. Perez Hilton, a gay man judging MISS USA . . . haha !

It's like getting a canine competition jury to horse race : doesn't make sense.

2. No qualification : how many pageants has he competed in ?

Oh sorry, he's a man.

I'm just glad we can still be straight and be seen as "normal" today.

Like being homo is the norm or something

Don't want to be off topic so I'll just conclude with :

Leviticus 20:13

• 2 weeks later...

Her answer addressed individual choice but does not mention states.

Here's an excerpt:

Perez Hilton: "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?"

Prejean answered: "I think it's great Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be - between a man and a woman."

Her answer addressed the freedoms upheld by this country but does not address if the states should legalize it.

I do feel that Prejean could have answered in a better way, she said, “in MY country” that would suggest that she lives in a different country than the United States. The WHOLE thing is stupid, people expect that these girls to be experts in EVERYTHING, yet clearly they are not!

What is the point for the Ms. America, USA, Universe, World, or any other pageant? They discriminate against sex, weight, race (there are more races than white, black, Asian, and Latino; like Native American, Polynesian, to name a few, plus there are all sorts of shades of color within those races), and of course they not only discriminate against, beauty, but they JUDGE people on it. They also, if not officially sponsor it, they don't discourage anyone from anorexia, bulimia, or any other eating disorder, or have anything in their rulebooks, to take a contestant out of the contest, if it is found out that someone had one of these disorders (I might be wrong in this area, so correct me, if I'm wrong). Also, the Ms. California committee said that they paid for her to have breast enhancement surgery. This was clearly a personal attack against her, because, they figured that if she was SO religious by not accepting gay marriage, then why would she accept body enhancement?

I don't know the whole story but this is nuts; She didn't lose because of her answer. She lost because ultimately someone scored more points than she did.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't the judges score the contestants in various way? Evening gown, swim suits, interview question? And don't the points get added up and then don't you win or lose based on how many points you have compared to someone else?

I saw a tiny bit of the competition and I am glad she didn't win. She wasn't as good looking as some of the other contestants.

What is the point for the Ms. America, USA, Universe, World, or any other pageant? They discriminate against sex, weight, race (there are more races than white, black, Asian, and Latino; like Native American, Polynesian, to name a few, plus there are all sorts of shades of color within those races), and of course they not only discriminate against, beauty, but they JUDGE people on it. They also, if not officially sponsor it, they don't discourage anyone from anorexia, bulimia, or any other eating disorder, or have anything in their rulebooks, to take a contestant out of the contest, if it is found out that someone had one of these disorders (I might be wrong in this area, so correct me, if I'm wrong). Also, the Ms. California committee said that they paid for her to have breast enhancement surgery. This was clearly a personal attack against her, because, they figured that if she was SO religious by not accepting gay marriage, then why would she accept body enhancement?

And?

So what if such competitions discriminate based on looks? It's a competition ABOUT LOOKS.

When I got engaged I too discriminated based on looks - I actually asked my future wife out because I liked the way she looked.

I doubt that anyone would stop you if you wanted to create a beauty pageant that was not based on beauty, but you shouldn't expect that anyone would watch it.