Interracial Marriage and Celestial Glory

the Ogre

Will interracial marriage preclude full Celestial Glory?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Will interracial marriage preclude full Celestial Glory?

• Yes, racial purity is self-evident.
    • Yes, and the church needs to clarify this in conference and in church magazines.
    • No, and the church needs to clarify this in conference and in church magazines.
    • No, but racism might.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops! I hope my name doesn't show up! I totally voted to the WRONG answer. I just didn't get it at first. I R dumb!

I agree that this isn't much of a problem based on our time era. I think it would be ridiculous for us to tell our children to not get married to the filistines and ammonites. Hahahaha. In our time, the Gospel is being preached ot all peoples nations and tongues... what would be the point if certain races couldn't "make it"?

Edited by Ezequiel

It's funny I was thinking today about this and was wondering how long it will be before the first Prophet of African descent is called? With the current trend in Church demographics many if not the majority of membership is in non caucasian parts of the world. I mean we have our first African American US President... The times they are a changing.:)

It's funny I was thinking today about this and was wondering how long it will be before the first Prophet of African descent is called? With the current trend in Church demographics many if not the majority of membership is in non caucasian parts of the world. I mean we have our first African American US President... The times they are a changing.:)

We would need an African (or African American) apostle called first, and I think (statistically) it's much more likely that a Latino will be called before an African (or African American).

I know of no current Church doctorine that forbids interacial marriage. The church is silent on the subject. I accept their position.

Your poll does not contain a catagory for those who believe the Church should continue its current position of silence on the subject.

Which may mean that interracial marriage is left as a decision between those who desire to enter into it and God.

Exactly. I have a friend who is a mixed race and her parents were discouraged by their then-stake president not to get married because of the race. However, since they were both born and raised in Canada, so culturally they saw eye to eye, despite their color of skin. They went on and were married anywyay.

Well if you cant make it to the celestial kingdom because of interracial marriage then I'm screwed. My wife is Filipina. I'm of a lighter skin tone.

What about our daughter would that mean she could only marry other Fil-Ams or would she be able to marry a Filipino or lighter skinned American?

Well if you cant make it to the celestial kingdom because of interracial marriage then I'm screwed. My wife is Filipina. I'm of a lighter skin tone.

What about our daughter would that mean she could only marry other Fil-Ams or would she be able to marry a Filipino or lighter skinned American?

I'm with ya, dude. My kids are Korean Americans.

Okay the poll is closed, now I want to know why anyone would vote that racial-purity is self-evident for celestial glory?

Because it's a stupid choice that no one would ever seriously have marked, and therefore should not have been part of the poll?

Just a guess.

Because it's a stupid choice that no one would ever seriously have marked, and therefore should not have been part of the poll?

Just a guess.

That's right. It is an absolutely ridiculous option. Who could possibly answer that way, but I have had to deal with people throughout my life who do feel that way. Denial is not healthy, so I included it.

As ridiculous as the option is. There is racism still in the church even though most members are doing everything to excorcize this demon.

There is still a long distance to run in this marathon. I hope we make it.

I know of no current Church doctorine that forbids interacial marriage. The church is silent on the subject. I accept their position.

Your poll does not contain a catagory for those who believe the Church should continue its current position of silence on the subject.

Which may mean that interracial marriage is left as a decision between those who desire to enter into it and God.

Personally I consider staying silent when you know an issue is wrong is watching someone get hurt and not stepping in. Its easy to turn a blind eye and have no one take responsibility but the issue wont ever change until someone high up takes a stand……

I personally don’t think interracial marriage should be looked down upon and if right now in church doctrine that it is fine then I think someone should be stepping up to the plate. But I’m young and dumb so what do I know.

Personally I consider staying silent when you know an issue is wrong is watching someone get hurt and not stepping in. Its easy to turn a blind eye and have no one take responsibility but the issue wont ever change until someone high up takes a stand……

You are right but it takes tremendous courage to stand up for the rights of those the others are down upon. Sometimes the courageous few are branded as outcasts and themselves treated with disrespect. Much too easy to go with the established practices of the offending majority group and play it safe.

What a noncence poll,an interraccial marriage is No obstacle to obtain the highest glory in the celestial kingdom at all,as long as the interracial and LDS couple is sealed by the proper authority and keeps all the commandments(new and everlasting covenant,see D&C 132) till the day they die,they will be together in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom!!!

But I’m young and dumb so what do I know.

For the record Carter, many of your posts have been very enlightening. It's good to read the opinions and thoughts of those your age.

Sadly, some former Church leaders have spoken out against inter-racial marriages. These include B.H. Roberts and Pres Kimball.

I believe a lot of it was not based upon revelation, but upon personal prejudices of the day. When Brigham Young brought traditional Christian feelings about blacks into the Church in 1847 (banning the blacks from having priesthood), it also brought a lot of efforts to attempt to justify that position ever since.

Alvin R Dyer wrote a ghastly book about Noah's three sons, and how Ham was cursed through his son, Canaan. Guess what? The Canaanites were not black, but Semitic. Archeology proves this. So, Elder Dyer was just plain wrong in his assumptions.

Mormon Doctrine also carries along with it old vestiges of this incorrect belief, regarding race. I would really wish Sherry Dew would fix that section of MD, so that it isn't such a pariah for any member (and especially the black members of the Church).

It is time that we admit that mistakes were made on this subject, and to apologize for it. Brigham Young was right on many things, but he missed the mark on race, Adam-God, Mountain Meadows, and polygamy being required for receiving eternal life. If the Church can be brave enough to have Pres Kimball state that Pres Young was wrong about Adam-God, and we can now apologize for MMM and admit that Pres Young's belligerent words helped lead to it; then let's be brave enough to apologize for Pres Young's views on race that were very common in the 19th century, but still racist.

To learn more, go to blacklds.org, supported by FAIR. Also, to see a wonderful documentary about this, go to: Nobody Knows: The Untold Story of Black Mormons