Random Thought-Sealings

Jbs2763

First off let me make clear that I have to stay awake all night every night so I tend to think up weird stuff...

so here goes

If a couple is engaged to be married, and one of them dies, can the other person be sealed by proxy to that person? ie.. John and Jane are to be wed in the temple in say...october...but in september, John falls down the stairs at some silly wedding reception place where he was drug there against his own free will...

so these two people loved each other enough to want to be sealed for eternity, but circumstances prevented that....can there still be a proxy sealing? like people who get married outside the temple and lose a spouse?

or situation numero dos....as Jack and Diane are driving to the temple to get married, there is a freak accident that causes a 137 car pile up...and both parties are killed, en route to the temple for their wedding....

Personally, I'd be rather disapointed if i didn't get to spend enterntiy with someone i loved, and was about to be married to, cause of a freak accident, like a tanker of Hienz ketchup and a truck full of potatoes colliding on the I-15

I don't know the answer and am not sure we have an "official" stance on such circumstances. My thoughts and speculation is that no, they would not be sealed by proxy. HOWEVER, we have to remember that our thoughts and lives are mortal. What cannot be done in this life, may be done in the next. So, just because a couple isn't sealed in this life by tragic accident doesn't mean that it won't happen at all.

First off let me make clear that I have to stay awake all night every night so I tend to think up weird stuff.

so here goes

...John falls down the stairs at some silly wedding reception place where he was drug there against his own free will...

...or situation numero dos....as Jack and Diane are driving to the temple to get married, there is a freak accident that causes a 137 car pile up...and both parties are killed, en route to the temple for their wedding....

...cause of a freak accident, like a tanker of Hienz ketchup and a truck full of potatoes colliding on the I-15...

I will positively agree that you do think up weird stuff Jbs2763.

M.

... cause of a freak accident, like a tanker of Heinz ketchup and a truck full of potatoes colliding on the I-15

You forgot the Crisco truck and the John Deere shredder also traveling on I-15.

Let's place our trust in God to adequately fill in the blanks. That way we can pursue our dream of Elphaba aiming the Deathstar at that crazed blond from Fox News.

Ok, so I am going to make everyone crazy by saying this, but:

I have a friend that lives in Centerville. Her fiance died of cancer before they were married. It has been about 8 years since he died. She recently received permission from the First Presidency and was sealed to her fiance. I thought it was all very bizarre, she took bridal photos, everything. Her brother stood as proxy. Just goes to show that you can't underestimate the power of Keys in the Priesthood and the far reaching effect of the Atonement.

I have a friend that lives in Centerville. Her fiance died of cancer before they were married. It has been about 8 years since he died. She recently received permission from the First Presidency and was sealed to her fiance. I thought it was all very bizarre, she took bridal photos, everything. Her brother stood as proxy. Just goes to show that you can't underestimate the power of Keys in the Priesthood and the far reaching effect of the Atonement.

I don't think it's so crazy--I read awhile back where Abraham Lincoln's fiance before he married Mary Todd -- was sealed to Abe--I don't recall her name but supposedly Abe was madly in love with her. I think the sealing took place after Abe's death.

You forgot the Crisco truck and the John Deere shredder also traveling on I-15.

Let's place our trust in God to adequately fill in the blanks. That way we can pursue our dream of Elphaba aiming the Deathstar at that crazed blond from Fox News.

:roflmbo:

She wouldn't dare--and crush all the dreams of us red-blooded single guys--blasphamy!!

I actually discussed this situation once with my ex-fiance (prior to meeting my husband). We thought up this situation: What if we get sealed, and then on our way to the reception, we get in a terrible car crash, and he dies. I survive, and I later marry someone else, with whom I live a full and happy life, and with whom I have children. Now, the man I was originally sealed to (who died in the accident) was perhaps the "love of my life", but I've now lived a full life (not just a few moments) and shared children with this other man, whom I also love. In the end, we concluded that it would be better and happier for me to be sealed to the man with whom I actually shared life.

In the hypotheticals given in the OP, the surviving person still has an opportunity to live a full and happy life with someone else. I don't believe that there is only one person for each of us. Why not let the survivor have that chance, instead of hanging onto what might have been?

(Please note that my above situation was entirely hypothetical and made-up.)

I don't think it's so crazy--I read awhile back where Abraham Lincoln's fiance before he married Mary Todd -- was sealed to Abe--I don't recall her name but supposedly Abe was madly in love with her. I think the sealing took place after Abe's death.

Somehow I don't think the Church wants everyone to be sealed to all their former boyfriends & girlfriends that they had before they got married. I do Genealogy & it's easy for things like the above to slip through & be done but it doesn't make it valid. And if Abe was a good & faithful husband I'm sure he wasn't still in love with his former fiance after he married Mary Todd. And if he did secretly still keep feelings alive for a former flame while married to someone else, then that would probably make him unworthy for either marriage.

Edited by foreverafter

I was going to respond without reading every post but you made the case for me. Yes! There are special occasions that merit sealing when this occurs. I can almost bet, the companion made it known from across the veil by means unknown to the First Presidency. I won't even go into cases where Apostles were told from across the veil in getting remarried after their beloved companions died. ^_^

another thing i ponder from time to time.. seeming that i will be eternally single... what happens to those of us that don't find our spouse in this life

You will forever be consigned to work the counters of Celestial McDonald's.

We have been taught by modern prophets that if we remain single in this life (and we didn't have the opportunity to marry), then we can still have that blessing in the next life. No one has really interpreted what it means by "opportunity", but I'm sure we can guess some of the reasons--disabilities preventing marriage, dying young, etc.

Somehow I don't think the Church wants everyone to be sealed to all their former boyfriends & girlfriends that they had before they got married. I do Genealogy & it's easy for things like the above to slip through & be done but it doesn't make it valid. And if Abe was a good & faithful husband I'm sure he wasn't still in love with his former fiance after he married Mary Todd. And if he did secretly still keep feelings alive for a former flame while married to someone else, then that would probably make him unworthy for either marriage.

That's complete and utter nonsense. What you state here implies that a man is only capable of loving one woman at a time, which entirely nullifies the practice of polygamy. It would mean that when the Lord commanded polygamy, he was commanding men to take wives and not to love them, which is an absurd premise.

The human heart and soul have an infinite capacity to love. Marriage is not as much about love as it is about commitment. It is completely possible to love more than one woman and choose only to commit one's self to one woman. In fact, a person who can do that would make a far superior husband than a man who could only love one person.

That's complete and utter nonsense. What you state here implies that a man is only capable of loving one woman at a time, which entirely nullifies the practice of polygamy. It would mean that when the Lord commanded polygamy, he was commanding men to take wives and not to love them, which is an absurd premise.

The human heart and soul have an infinite capacity to love. Marriage is not as much about love as it is about commitment. It is completely possible to love more than one woman and choose only to commit one's self to one woman. In fact, a person who can do that would make a far superior husband than a man who could only love one person.

I have to agree...when we touch the soul of another through affection, our souls become one - call it true love -. We can love more than one...

Oh my freaking gosh. Will you stop judging everyone's worthiness to be married already?

back to the original query. The short answer is no. What if a husband and wife are sealed, but the husband dies shortly after. Then she remarries, has a full and complete life with husband number 2 complete with kids and grandkids. Should she be forced to be with her first husband because he was sealed to her, abandoning a lifetime with another man? I think not.