Joseph Smith was a Mason?

mrrellim

Forgive me if this has been covered in the forums before, but I am not getting any results for anything I search for.

I remember as a teenager reading the History of the Church, you know the big blue hard covered books and there was like 15 or 16 books in the set, and I seem to remember reading that Joseph Smith, along with a lot of the other church leaders, belonged to the Free Mason organization.

Now, when ever I mention this to any other members most of the say that a Church Leader would never belong to such an evil organization.

So, am I just imagining that the Church History books said this.

Now, I'm not looking for or want a discussion on whether the Temple Ceremony was stolen from the masons (that could be a different topic) but just for whether Joseph Smith was a mason.

Thanks

Yes, Joseph Smith was a Mason. And so were, possibly, the people in the mob that killed him. They were angry and felt threatened and probably felt that they had good reason. We know who was leading them.

The Masons do a lot of good though, and we are told that we are to judge things by their fruits. Some of the older Masons, at least in Utah, remember having ill feelings towards the Mormons, but we can't judge a whole group by the actions of a few. Now they are welcoming and accepting, and there are Masons who are also Mormons. It's possible that the Masons served God's purpose and helped to preserve much of the temple ordinances. Their history goes back to the temple of Soloman. But the gospel was taken from the earth, so the Masons didn't remember the entire significance of what they had.

Edited by rampion

Guest Alana

When I think of Masons I think 'ohh cool.' The phrase 'the more I learn the more I realize I don't know' seems to be applicable more and more lately, but it's more 'the older I get the more I realize I don't know.'

Guest Godless

My experience is that LDS are far more accepting of Free Masonry than we evangelicals. Secret Societies

Actually, there are multiple discourses in the Book of Mormon that condemn "secret combinations". Whether or not the Freemasons fall into that category is certainly debatable.

I have always had a favorable view of Free Masons and that their "secretive" practices were rather benign...... not that I really understand their purpose. While I do remember a few members describing them as evil, I think I was taught that this perception was an over reaction.

Ironic, considering the warnings in the Book of Mormon specifically about secret combinations.

Why does everything have to get labeled "black or white"? Can't it just be off? I guess I am just wondering why we sometimes characterize something as "black" just because it doesn't have enough white.

I'm going to guess that Mormons are more accepting of Masons as a secretive society because we understand due to our temple rites. If we condemn them for having "secrets", then we are being very hypocritical considering many consider our temple ceremonies as secret.

How many things are really secret? The LDS temple ceremony can be found on the internet. I'm sure if I looked, I could find the Mason stuff as well.

I know that gangs (you know, of the bad variety) have some really secret things. In watching investigative shows, they discuss how difficult it is for police agencies to infiltrate.

All I'm sayin' is that the book of Mormon doesn't warn against 'Secret combinations so long as they're not of the light and nice variety'. ;)

Actually, the Book of Mormon does sort of explain what makes a ‘good secret combination’ and what makes a ‘bad secret combination.’ The key seems to be in why they are keeping the secrets. All of the secret combinations condemned in the Book of Mormon were focused on gaining power, influence, and wealth. They also insisted that the secrets be kept on penalty of death.

The Masons, on the other hand, are a group that, to my knowledge, as never put anyone to death for discussing their rights. What’s more, they are a group devoted to community service and humility. I think the “by their fruits ye shall know them” test applies here.

Guest SmarterBlue

If Joseph Smith was a freemason and that doesn’t change my opinion of him at all. There are a lot of people who were freemasons such as Theodore Roosevelt, George Washington, and Harry S. Truman (one of my favorite political figures) just to name a few. I tend to view it as more of a period thing where he have joined to network, which was not uncommon at the time, or even (heaven forbid) introduce people to the Book of Mormon :eek:.

I really don’t buy into any conspiracy theories with regards to Joseph Smith as a freemason, and if by chance we found out by chance the Grand Mason owed some back taxes that in no way reflects other members of the freemason community.

If I drink (insert your favorite flavor here) soda, and we find out the CEO made some terrible marketing decisions, that in no way reflects me as the consumer – except that they may find a surplus of stock on Wal-Mart shelves.

Actually, the Book of Mormon does sort of explain what makes a ‘good secret combination’ and what makes a ‘bad secret combination.’ The key seems to be in why they are keeping the secrets. All of the secret combinations condemned in the Book of Mormon were focused on gaining power, influence, and wealth. They also insisted that the secrets be kept on penalty of death.

The Masons, on the other hand, are a group that, to my knowledge, as never put anyone to death for discussing their rights. What’s more, they are a group devoted to community service and humility. I think the “by their fruits ye shall know them” test applies here.

If that were the case, that would mean I would be wrong, Moe! How can that be, I?

I'm not actually married to the idea of Mason's being bad. ;) I just thought it was funny that the LDS church doesn't condemn a group that most would consider to fit the 'Secret Combinations' bill pretty perfectly. My Grandpa was a mason.