sealing

wisegurl84

My parents never married each other and married other people. Since they were never married does this mean that I can't ever be sealed to my parents? :mellow:

I hope I’m not too brutal in saying this, but the prospects of your being sealed to your biological parents is pretty slim. Given the policies that are currently in place, the sealing probably won’t happen on this side of mortality. That isn’t to say it couldn’t happen, but I just don’t understand how it would, and it may be one of those things that has to be dealt with later.

On the bright side, you have your future ahead of you and you may choose to be sealed to your spouse. The blessings of the Sealing Covenant are still available to you, and that’s about all you can worry about. The rest you’ll just have to leave in the hands of the Lord.

Couldn't you be seale dto each parent but not together as a family? Since they weren't married and married others then they probably couldn't be sealed to each other. But your parents don't have to be seal to each other for a child to be sealed to at least one of them, do they? We are talking about sealing to parents who are already dead aren't we?

well they are still living but i would have to wait til they die before i can be sealed to them I am the only lds in my family the strange thing is that i have more than one family member that is in my situation my mothers parents never married my grandmother has a brother whose parents never married. so i was wondering how my family can be sealed together if part of them has parents that never married.

A friend of mine is in an analogous situation (parents were never sealed, divorced after he was born, and married other people).

I was with him in a temple recorder's office when he asked what he was supposed to do. He was basically told (in much nicer terms than what I'm about to say) that he needed to wait for both of them to die, and then seal them by proxy and then be sealed to them by proxy.

As for who's going to be "with" whom in the hereafter: Well, technically (IMHO), the only person you're "with" all the time is your spouse. So I wouldn't get too worked up about whether I'll be sealed to one, both, or neither parent. Just do as much as you can to keep your temple-marriage intact, and the Lord will work out the rest.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

A friend of mine is in an analogous situation (parents were never sealed, divorced after he was born, and married other people).

That's a big difference from the OP's situation. In yours, the parents were married to begin with. The OP's parents were never married. While the Church can seal by proxy, it doesn't marry by proxy.

Guest Alana

Can someone be sealed to only one deceased parent? Like if her mom passes away can she be sealed to her, and then her father when he passes or is it only as a mother/father combo?

And if so, can someone who is sealed to a father and step mother, once the biological mother passes, be sealed to her?

There is no such thing as being sealed to only one parent. The nature of the sealing necessarily implies a father and a mother.

EDIT: Specifically, a sealing to a parent explicitly states that the child's status is as if s/he had been born in the covenant. That covenant is entered by parents, a man and a woman jointly. There is no such thing as entering into the marriage covenant singly; thus, a child can be sealed only to a couple married in the new and everlasting covenant.

Edited by Vort

That's a big difference from the OP's situation. In yours, the parents were married to begin with. The OP's parents were never married. While the Church can seal by proxy, it doesn't marry by proxy.

Maybe, but at least in some cases sealings can be done even where there was never an official marriage ceremony (this is common, for example, in Danish genealogy).

Does the Church have a policy saying that for proxy work, a marriage certificate is needed for jurisdictions A, B, and C but not for jurisdictions X, Y, and Z?

My parents never married each other and married other people. Since they were never married does this mean that I can't ever be sealed to my parents? :mellow:

Most l.d,s members understand it to be that yu canott, but the truth is, yes yu can. my parents were divorced many years ago and married other persons. my father went on to be endowed e;t;c before he died, my mother was endowed after death, {and hopefully she accepted}, she asked before her death for us to seal her to one of my stepfathers. And my father asked me before his death to have him sealed to my mother, {big problem}, anyway in the course of seeking a remedy we have found out that we can be sealed to them both as long as they have held up there promises in the spirit world, and they dont need to be sealed together for that to happen; excatly how this gets worked out in the long run we do not know, but it does work.

I think the confusion comes into play because of the "exhaltation " factor; of course they will not be exhalted together or maybe not at all, and maybe yu will get there or not is all in the playbook as well, but you can give it the old heave ho, and have the work done, keep up your promises to the lord thruout your life, and it will work out ok in the end, i promise.

But yes yu can be sealed to them in the temple, if they are dead.:)

well they are still living but i would have to wait til they die before i can be sealed to them I am the only lds in my family the strange thing is that i have more than one family member that is in my situation my mothers parents never married my grandmother has a brother whose parents never married. so i was wondering how my family can be sealed together if part of them has parents that never married.

What is impossible to man is not impossible with GOD...seek an answer from HIM on what to do and you may be surprise to learn, the future is a bright one.