Why do children take the sacrement

MissKitty

I really have no objection to the little ones taking the sacrement but at church on Sunday I wondered, do children need to take the sacrement?

Children are unaccountable until the age of eight. They are spotless and perfect. So why do they need to take the sacrement before eight? They have no sin.

I think I might be missing a major some thing but I can't put my finger on it! :)

The Sacrament is a renewal of baptismal covenants. Where there has been no baptism, the sacrament doesn't do any good from a theological standpoint.

That said, our two-year-old does take it, and we're trying to train her to "think about Jesus" as she does so.

Guest Alana

They don't need it. But, there's no problem with them taking it, either. It's an opportunity for them to learn what the bread and water are for, how to think about Jesus, how to think about good things they did that week, basically getting ready to be baptized. Plus, it's yummy. It really is the most delicious single bite of bread I have all week.

The more I'm thinking about this this evening. I thought about the times I've spent with children in nursery. Children love to be part of things, they love to be included. So anything to do with our savior (especially some thing so important as the sacriment)!!! can only be a good thing. :) I love the sacriment !!! :) :)

Yeah, you can't renew covenants you haven't made. From that standpoint, children under 8 taking the sacrament doesn't mean much. The practical aspect of not provoking a bunch of whiny kids has been mentioned. The church figures that taking the sacrament is a worthwhile teaching tool for kids, and they should be allowed.

Similar deal with nonmember investigators. If they get a spiritual boost, or feel closer to God, by participating in the sacrament, more power to them. I just make it clear (or I made it clear when one of them asked me in Gospel Principles class), that the covenant-renewing aspect of it doesn't apply until they make covenants. It's not like someone jumps out of the bushes and says "Ha-ha! You took the sacrament - that means you're Mormon now!"

LM

Guest Believer_1829

I personally will not let my children take it until they are baptized, as it is clear from the Book of Mormon that it is for those who have taken on the covenant of baptism. They should see it as a privilege to take the sacrament, and it should not become just a habit and what we do on Sunday.

Similar deal with nonmember investigators. If they get a spiritual boost, or feel closer to God, by participating in the sacrament, more power to them. I just make it clear (or I made it clear when one of them asked me in Gospel Principles class), that the covenant-renewing aspect of it doesn't apply until they make covenants. It's not like someone jumps out of the bushes and says "Ha-ha! You took the sacrament - that means you're Mormon now!"

LM

:rofl: Oooh! Can I be that person? Please? Can I?

I used to be very offended when my mother gave my then-toddler the bread and water. I too thought it should be after baptism, or at least when she knew what it is about. Now, she is almost 4, and she takes the sacrament every week. We whisper to each other "Do you know what the bread is?" "It's remember Jesus". "Why bread?" "That's what he ate with his friends before he died."

She obviously doesn't understand it all, but it's a base for teaching, and she'll learn more as she gets older. :)

Guest Believer_1829

I used to be very offended when my mother gave my then-toddler the bread and water. I too thought it should be after baptism, or at least when she knew what it is about. Now, she is almost 4, and she takes the sacrament every week. We whisper to each other "Do you know what the bread is?" "It's remember Jesus". "Why bread?" "That's what he ate with his friends before he died."

She obviously doesn't understand it all, but it's a base for teaching, and she'll learn more as she gets older. :)

Another possibly appropriate question as they watch you (in general, not you GM) partake is "And when do we get the take the bread and water?" "After we is bapiptized."

;)

That said, our two-year-old does take it, and we're trying to train her to "think about Jesus" as she does so.

That makes sense. On another thread the question was asked about strapless prom dresses and the answer was given that by covering up, it helps teach girls to be future garment wearers.

On another thread the question was asked about strapless prom dresses and the answer was given that by covering up, it helps teach girls to be future garment wearers.

That, and prom dresses with sleeves are the next-best thing to burkhas (which are impossible to find these days!) :D

i think the key phrase here is USED TO BE..... granted i don't have kids of my own, but i got better than a dozen lil neices and nephews, who all take it..includingi one nephew who may NEVER be baptized, as he may never be accountable...even tho he turns 8 next year, he may never reach the mental capacity ......

why is it such a big deal? why are people offended by PERFECT souls remebering Christ...

learning at an early age WHY we take the sacrament, and to be reverent...I don't know many 2 yr olds that can sit still and perfectly quiet for 5-15 min, depending on the size of your ward, but when they get to participate, they tend to do better...at least from the kids i've observed

and by your logic, nither my lil bro or nephew should EVER take the sacrament, cause they may NEVER be baptized, but they are still spotless in God's eyes.

As GM said..its a great opp for teaching....granted they not FULLY understand at the moment...but its a line upon line, precept upon precept type thing... you let a child grow with it, learn with it, not drop them in full tilt just after thier 8th bday....

why is it such a big deal? why are people offended by PERFECT souls remebering Christ...

learning at an early age WHY we take the sacrament, and to be reverent...I don't know many 2 yr olds that can sit still and perfectly quiet for 5-15 min, depending on the size of your ward, but when they get to participate, they tend to do better...at least from the kids i've observed

As GM said..its a great opp for teaching....granted they not FULLY understand at the moment...but its a line upon line, precept upon precept type thing... you let a child grow with it, learn with it, not drop them in full tilt just after thier 8th bday....

I'm not sure who's been offended by kids taking the sacrament, but I'm thinking not many. Perhaps they don't agree with it, but offended? Really? If so, then they need to remove that beam out of their eye...

I didn't take the sacrament as a non-member once it was explained to me. Granted I wasn't a 2 year old, but kids do have a capacity to understand better than we give them credit, methinks.

I think that parents try to teach their kids the best they know how. Some parents feel that not allowing their kids to take the sacrament allows them to understand the importance of covenants and what it means to remember the covenants they've made and how the sacrament is a symbol of that. Other parents feel that partaking of the sacrament is a way for the kids to learn to get in the habit and learn their way a little at a time. Who is right? Perhaps both? After all, each set of parents must do what is best for their own children.

Some sources I threw together a while ago:

CHILDREN TO PARTAKE OF SACRAMENT

Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.2, p.350

All little children virtually belong to the Church until they are eight years of age. Should they die before that age, they would enter the celestial kingdom. The Savior said, "Of such is the kingdom of heaven." Then why should they be deprived of the sacrament?

The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p.226

The sacrament is for the Saints, for those who have actually made covenants at the waters of baptism primarily, but there is no evidence that I find where the Lord would ever exclude the children who were rapidly moving toward baptism and who were learning and being taught to worship the Lord and be ready for the covenants as their age and development would permit….

SHOULD CHILDREN WHO ARE MORE THAN EIGHT YEARS OF AGE AND ARE NOT BAPTIZED STILL PARTAKE OF THE SACRAMENT?

Proceedings of the First Sunday School Convention, p.76 Apostle Francis Marion Lyman

Answer: Certainly; until they can be baptized. If they are the children of Latter-day Saints they are certainly entitled to partake of the sacrament until the ordinance of baptism can be administered to them, which may be two weeks, six weeks, or even more. But do not hurt the tender hearts of the little children who are willing and anxious to be baptized, by withholding the emblems from them, but are possibly neglected for awhile by the parents or by the Bishop who have not made provisions for their baptism.

NON-MEMBERS AND THE SACRAMENT

If a person, not a member of the Church, is in the congregation, we do not forbid him partaking of it, but would properly advise that the sacrament is for the renewing of covenants. And, since he has not made the true covenant of baptism or temple covenant, he is exempt. However, his partaking of the sacrament if he is clean and worthy and devout would not bring upon him any condemnation as it would for those who have made solemn covenants and then have ignored or defied them.

Bruce R. McConkie, A New Witness for the Articles of Faith, p.298

If a nonmember with no ill intent partakes of the sacrament, it is in his case as though he had simply eaten bread and drunk wine or water. He will be judged according to the intent of his heart.

Guest Believer_1829

Some sources I threw together a while ago:

CHILDREN TO PARTAKE OF SACRAMENT

Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.2, p.350

All little children virtually belong to the Church until they are eight years of age. Should they die before that age, they would enter the celestial kingdom. The Savior said, "Of such is the kingdom of heaven." Then why should they be deprived of the sacrament?

The sacrament is for the Saints, for those who have actually made covenants at the waters of baptism primarily, but there is no evidence that I find where the Lord would ever exclude the children who were rapidly moving toward baptism and who were learning and being taught to worship the Lord and be ready for the covenants as their age and development would permit….

SHOULD CHILDREN WHO ARE MORE THAN EIGHT YEARS OF AGE AND ARE NOT BAPTIZED STILL PARTAKE OF THE SACRAMENT?

Proceedings of the First Sunday School Convention, p.76 Apostle Francis Marion Lyman

Answer: Certainly; until they can be baptized. If they are the children of Latter-day Saints they are certainly entitled to partake of the sacrament until the ordinance of baptism can be administered to them, which may be two weeks, six weeks, or even more. But do not hurt the tender hearts of the little children who are willing and anxious to be baptized, by withholding the emblems from them, but are possibly neglected for awhile by the parents or by the Bishop who have not made provisions for their baptism.

NON-MEMBERS AND THE SACRAMENT

If a person, not a member of the Church, is in the congregation, we do not forbid him partaking of it, but would properly advise that the sacrament is for the renewing of covenants. And, since he has not made the true covenant of baptism or temple covenant, he is exempt. However, his partaking of the sacrament if he is clean and worthy and devout would not bring upon him any condemnation as it would for those who have made solemn covenants and then have ignored or defied them.

Bruce R. McConkie, A New Witness for the Articles of Faith, p.298

If a nonmember with no ill intent partakes of the sacrament, it is in his case as though he had simply eaten bread and drunk wine or water. He will be judged according to the intent of his heart.

Isn't it nice we can disagree, and still be friends.

Guest Believer_1829

Yes it is. But I'm not sure if you two actually disagree, since he didn't even state his own personal opinion.

:)

I mean, I can disagree with the quotes given, and we can still get along.

While it's clear that the purpose of the Sacrament is to renew baptismal covenants, I'd be interested in knowing what body of knowledge justifies denying our children the Sacrament. In addition to this, I'd be curious to know the body of knowledge that justifies denying our children the Sacrament when we don't deny complete strangers the Sacrament.

I don't think it matters. Children can't take the sacrament unworthily. From a parental standpoint, we use the ordinance as a way of setting a standard, of teaching about the Lord's covenants and Atonement, and then we go to church and show them. Now most of my kids are baptized so the question is mute. But I am glad we set the pattern so the kids can continue as they started.