Celestial Kingdom

bytor2112

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, my answer is as speculative as all the rest here, since nothing has been revealed. What if the second degree of celestial glory is an intermediate stage of progression towards becoming an exalted being?

Let's say, when a faithful saint dies, spends time in paradise in the spirit world, and passes through the resurrection, he finds himself in the first level of the celestial kingdom with all the rest of the righteous. Even though he has received all the necessary ordinances to enter the highest degree of glory, there is an incredible amount of knowledge, experience, and learning he must undergo before he attains the glory that Christ and the Father have enabled him to receive. I would speculate that the second degree is for people progressing towards the highest, third degree of glory. They are the ones who are still "in school" so to speak. Joseph Smith said these two statements, which can be found in "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith."

"When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the Gospel--you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave."

"Here, then, is eternal life--to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you, namely, by going from one small degree to another, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings, and to sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power. And I want you to know that God, in the last days, while certain individuals are proclaiming his name, is not trifling with you or me."

Three levels of the Celestial Kingdom, right?

Highest level = Exaltation

Middle Level = ??????????

Lowest level = Ministering Angels

Who goes to the middle level?

My understanding it will be those who qualified for the highest degree but did not/do not have an eternal companion.

I suppose I should look for it. It's in the D&C.

I was told that the requirements to each of level of the Celestial kingdom are as follows:

Highest - New and Everlasting Covenant (Eternal Marriage and all...)

Middle - Melchizedek Priesthood

Lowest - Baptism

Lynn Alvin Mickelsen - During a district meeting in Southern Chile circa 1989.

I was told that the requirements to each of level of the Celestial kingdom are as follows:

Highest - New and Everlasting Covenant (Eternal Marriage and all...)

Middle - Melchizedek Priesthood

Lowest - Baptism

Lynn Alvin Mickelsen - During a district meeting in Southern Chile circa 1989.

So there will be no women in the middle level?

Guest LDS_Guy_1986

All we definatly know is that the highest level is godhood and is obtained through faith and receiving all the proper ordiances (eternal marriage being key to this degree of the celestial kingdom)

The unmarried receive the lowest degree and and ministering angles.

Maybe the middle is for those who divorce and never remarry? This is total specialtion though and we have no descriptions of the middle degree in the scriptures.

• 2 months later...

What if the highest level is marriage, and the lower two are split between men and women? That way they could take on the different roles and abilities of men and women, so that the bottom two are ministering angels.

Or what if the top is people who fulfill the law of polygamy, the middle is for people who just have one spouse and one wife, and the bottom is for people who never marry?

Just spouting out ideas here.

What if the top is for those who are sealed, the middle for those endowed, and the bottom for those baptized?

Or, what if D&C 131 is not talking about levels in the Celestial Kingdom, but about levels in the Celestial Glory or heavens? What if the three levels are Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial?

Suddenly, we have two ways to interpret that section....

so if a person doesn't marry in the temple in this life time, I am going on woman here, then she is stuck at the second level because noone took the time to find her and marry her. And what about all the children who died before reaching the age of marriage? are they all stuck in the third level?

Seems a bit unfair to me, so why not just opt for not going at all. I mean one does not have to be a angel serving anyone in outer darkness. I am just curious because to me it leaves a gaping hole in the idea that if a person doesn't get the chance to marry in this life time do to circumstances beyond their control, they get the short end of the stick.

I know the above sounds a bit harsh but honestly I think there will be the opportunity to be sealed to one's spouse in the next life time if one is not. I think the options of not being sealed and setting ones fate forever is not set in stone. I don't believe God works that way. I don't think there will be 'oh here's your spouse that you could have married, but sorry you died when you were 7 so too bad you're a lower kingdom person now' or 'hey no worthy male member ever asked you out, ever, so you remained chasted and true to the church, but since you didn't marry you get second prize, even though it's technically not your fault'. Or what happens to those members who were sealed to a spouse but whose spouse choses not to remain faithful and they end up divorced... does the faithful spouse deserve second level or third level kingdoms?

I am just saying there are too many variables, too many other options that could happen in this life that leaves too much open for each level for us to judge who and what will end up where. Besides its not up to any of us as to who goes where, and for that I am thankful, because if it was up to me..the highest level would be full of animals.

RescueMom,

This discussion has been about kingdoms of heaven, not about grace. However, since you brought it up, we believe the grace of Christ gives all man and womankind a fair chance at exaltation and celestial marriage. So, it is fair. Sometimes we just have to await any and all changes that will occur in the hereafter.

in my understanding...

Highest level = those who have accepted all things that God has given and has been obedient unto them. (and that it is at this level where all the promises of the gospel point to.

Middle = Accepted christ, but not everything.

bottom = At first rejected Christ, but repented later, also unable or unwilling to follow whatever commandments and laws that exist in higher kingdoms.

RescueMom,

This discussion has been about kingdoms of heaven, not about grace. However, since you brought it up, we believe the grace of Christ gives all man and womankind a fair chance at exaltation and celestial marriage. So, it is fair. Sometimes we just have to await any and all changes that will occur in the hereafter.

I'd like to add to this that it is by grace we get to enter any kingdom, at all.