Priesthood Blessings for Weight Loss?

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

I once had someone ask me if I could give a blessing to them so they could lose weight. They were in pretty good shape, although I think they could've stood to lose 10 pounds. He'd been trying but kept falling off the exercise and diet wagon.

Do you think this is an appropriate use of the priesthood -- to give blessings for this kind of thing?

Edited by mormonmusic

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say a blessing to reward their diligence and faithfulness in exercise and dietary habits is appropriate. As well, a blessing for the ambition and desire to continue their regimen would be in order.

A blessing to magically remove 10 lbs.......probably not in the spirit or nature of what is intended.

But, as always, let the spirit guide.

Sometimes people don't hear what they want to hear in a blessing. But they will hear what they NEED to hear.

1. Health, with better exercise and diet is a good thing. I don't see wanting to take even better care of ones body (even if it isn't a drastic improvement), as bad. Additionally will power is involved, greater will power and control over our carnal natures is a good thing.

I know I prayed (and still do occasionally) for strength stay on my diet and I felt nothing wrong with it. I never asked for a blessing but considering I was willing to pray about it I don't see anything wrong with it Of course mind was way more than wanting to lose the Holiday 10. I've also gotten blessings for going to school or when I'm nervous (job interview or what have you), things of not earth shattering importance in the long scheme of things, but they were of import to me.

2. Give him the blessing as directed by the spirit. I know easier said than done, but the Lord will let both you and him know how he feels about it.

It doesn't take much weight loss to help some people with specific medical problems such as high blood pressure or diabetes.

Perhaps what your friend really needed was a blessing to help him focus and maintain goals that he has set. It does seem as if he is trying to work on something important to him.

I could see a blessing for this purpose could be the same as one for encouragement/discouragement problems.

If you don't feel personally comfortable doing this, I suggest you fast and pray and perhaps allow your friend to have someone else holding the priesthood give him the blessing.

I wish you well in your choices.

For the most part I believe anyone that seeks a blessing should be granted a blessing. I do not know what it is about most brothern but we seem to believe that we should only ask for a blessing if we think we are about to die.

Perhaps if we understood things better we would be more liberal about seeking and giving priesthood blessings.

The Traveler

My Dad explained this problem clearly to my myself and my siblings. He said it was not for him to decide who should receive a blessing or not. If they asked, then he gave the blessing. He said it was up to the Lord and he was just the mouthpiece afterall.

Edited by applepansy
typo

In practice, I suspect that some people want a Priesthood blessing as a "magic bullet". I think this is unrealistic and borders on misuse of Priesthood authority.

Rather than viewing it as a magic bullet, it probably would be best to view it as an adjunct to help maintain the willpower necessary for a regimen of diet and exercise.

For the most part I believe anyone that seeks a blessing should be granted a blessing. I do not know what it is about most brothern but we seem to believe that we should only ask for a blessing if we think we are about to die.

Perhaps if we understood things better we would be more liberal about seeking and giving priesthood blessings.

The Traveler

Excellent point. Blessings from God are best given rather than withheld.

My Dad explained this problem clearing my myself and my siblings. He said it was not for him to decide who should receive a blessing or not. If they asked, then he gave the blessing. He said it was up to the Lord and he was just the mouthpiece afterall.

It is not upto me to decide what blessings a person recieves so i agree with your point it is just a matter of a priesthood holder to excerising his priesthood to give blessings to those who ask and give them as directed by the spirit.

The Traveler

Well, there is that little issue of listening to the spirit and declaring blessings as led to do so.

Well, there is that little issue of listening to the spirit and declaring blessings as led to do so.

Help me out a little here - How can someone give a priesthood blessing except it is by the spirit? (D&C 121)

Just wondering - is there anywhere in scripture where someone sought a blessing that was denied. I know there were some (children) that did not recieve the blessings they personally sought but I know of no case where no blessing was given.

The Traveler

I once had someone ask me if I could give a blessing to them so they could lose weight. They were in pretty good shape, although I think they could've stood to lose 10 pounds. He'd been trying but kept falling off the exercise and diet wagon.

Do you think this is an appropriate use of the priesthood -- to give blessings for this kind of thing?

Perhaps he should pray to grow a backbone.

Now Snow..that's not quite fair. I know you have never had to worry about weight..but for those of us that have and do..it's not the easiest thing. Certainly not worth a comment stating to grow a backbone.

Help me out a little here - How can someone give a priesthood blessing except it is by the spirit? (D&C 121)

Just wondering - is there anywhere in scripture where someone sought a blessing that was denied. I know there were some (children) that did not recieve the blessings they personally sought but I know of no case where no blessing was given.

The Traveler

Well, Moses didn't live to enter the Promised Land, did he? I wanted to be blessed with a Lambourghini Countach back in the day, but it was denied to me. And I still haven't won the lottery. Do you think my chances of winning will go up if I buy tickets?

Guest mormonmusic

After listening to everyone, here's my take on this.

The person's desire to lose weight is a righteous desire. One of our goals in this life is to learn to subordinate our passions to the direction of our Spirit. The body has a huge impact on one's ability to serve others -- an important part of our earthly existence. Also, poor health can decimate a person's ability to earn a living, and old habits get harder to change the longer you persist in them. Obesity can cause a lot of other health problems, can lead to expensive meds that sap one's personal resources that could be used to help others. And this guy is on the right track by trying to nip it in the bud. The body is a temple, we're told, so his desire to take care of his body - this gift, this stewardship, is worthy.

After reading everyone's comments, I think this is no different than a person who wants to quit smoking or overcome any other bodily habit that needs subduing.

But I think his mistake was in how he worded the request for a blessing.

Rather than saying "Can you give me a blessing so I can lose weight" he might've said "I've undertaken really big challenge that will be good for my spirituality, but it takes a lot of self-control, and I need strength to do it. I keep trying and failing at it. Can you give a blessing to help me increase my self-control? And by the way, it's nothing confession-worthy, just an important personal challenge".

The priesthood holder doesn't need to know specifically what the challenge is. I think if he'd have asked for spiritual help and personal strength, this would've altered the perception that he's asking for a magic bullet, or for something shallow like making his teeth whiter.

He's only coming for a priesthood blessing after he's tried to master his body a number of times and says he keeps blowing it. I'm glad he's decided to conquer this by humbling himself before God. He's acknolwedged he's weak and is showing faith and humility in God to get over it, as prescribed in Ether 12 (verse 24).

Edited by mormonmusic

The Traveler

Amen!

Matth: 7:7-10 When we ask, it shall be given to us... How can we do less? If somebody asks for a blessing, he or she should not be turned down. At least NOT, if this wish/the reason is reasonable (no white teeth, no car, no millions, no love of a person, who is NOT in love with the person asking). Whether it is in accordance with what God thinks to be right for us -- who can judge what that person and God have agreed on?

And regarding losing weight:

maybe the person has not found the right diet so far, or maybe he/she has one habit he/she is not aware of, that keeps him/her from losing weight, or maybe this person has to learn, that it is not necessary to lose weight.... many reasons to give a blessing and wait what Heavenly Father's point of view is!

Oh, by the way: sometimes people just don't find the right words when they ask for something. Do you know what is in their heart? If a priesthood bearer is guided by the spirit he will find the words that answer to the true need this person has, no matter how the question was phrased.

Edited by stormwitch

I would say a blessing to reward their diligence and faithfulness in exercise and dietary habits is appropriate. As well, a blessing for the ambition and desire to continue their regimen would be in order.

A blessing to magically remove 10 lbs.......probably not in the spirit or nature of what is intended.

But, as always, let the spirit guide.

Sometimes people don't hear what they want to hear in a blessing. But they will hear what they NEED to hear.

Drinking a gallon of liquids in a given day is nearly 8lbs. ^_^

After reading everyone's comments, I think this is no different than a person who wants to quit smoking or overcome any other bodily habit that needs subduing.

But I think his mistake was in how he worded the request for a blessing.

Well, I can tell you this. If I get evaluated like this when I ask, I prolly wouldn't ask very often.

Edited by Misshalfway