Watching the Superbowl

Choseph

This thread is a perfect example of

Isaiah 5:20

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light.

Next time you read the bible, check the JST part of that!*hint* Judging is perfectly OK to do if you follow the JST version of the verse!

Sorry but I refuse to be made to feel guilty because I had a rare opportunity to spend one on one time with my son. I was happy that for once he wanted to stay home to do something with me. If that meant watching the Superbowl then so be it. We had a great time and it gave us a chance to have some bonding time that we so desperately needed. I think if I were to ask my Bishop about it, he would say what I did was JUST fine.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Godless

I know exactly what you mean, pam. My best friend and I don't get to spend time together very often, and it was really great to have her company while watching a game that I honestly didn't care much about. I think a lot of people like Super Bowl Sunday because of the good company more than the actual game. It really is kind of like a holiday for many people, an excuse to come together and bond with friends and family.

If you're not supposed to watch TV on the sabbath, why is KBYU broadcasting on all four channels all day?

I've heard from my LDS neighbors and friends as well. That you're not suppose to watch TV on Sunday. But then I can get BYU TV on my satellite dish, which means somebody is not only broadcasting the signal, but there are people working even on Sunday to push the buttons (maybe they hire non-LDS folks for that, don't know). But it is an interesting issue, and as this poster also pointed out, why is it OK to use the computer and internet on Sundays if TV is off-limits?

As a non-member of the Church, I look at things from the outside and think, how crazy it is that members have to worry about such things. Takes away from the spirit of the law, when you're focusing on the law. Similar to the Jews who can't turn on lights or walk more than 'x' number of blocks to the temple on the Sabbath. That was one of the things that Jesus taught against. He certainly did work on Sunday, cured the sick and performed miracles much to the Rabbi's distain. Seems some people get caught up in the law and not the spirit of the law.

Wayne

I've never heard that you shouldn't watch tv on Sunday..just to be wary of the kinds of shows you watch. Those that take away from the spirit. To some that can be interpreted in different ways. If that were the case, then we would be told we couldn't watch general conference as many watch it on tv and that's on a Sunday.

I agree that many take it to be law and forget about the spirit of the law. If watching a football game as a family brings you together as a family..I'm just don't see the harm in it. I would much rather my kids were home with me watching a football game than out doing other things that would be more detrimental.

Next time you read the bible, check the JST part of that!*hint* Judging is perfectly OK to do if you follow the JST version of the verse!

Have fun in life with your judgments of others. I'm glad that I have been trusted by the Lord to make my own judgments about my actions and behaviors rather than focusing on others so much. I'm also glad to know that we don't live by Bible teachings alone--JST or not. We have other scriptures that are clear that exacting YOUR standards on others is wrong and in fact, sinful. So from one sinner to another, have a fun life.

I think if you read through Elder Oaks's talk on this very subject, you'd find that your interpretation of "righteous judgment" is in error.

It is a spirit of the law vs. letter of the law sort of thing. And truthfully there isn't even a law out there that says you can't watch TV on Sundays. It is sort of like those members who believe that sugar is against the word of wisdom. It is how they choose to live their life.

When I was in college I had a roommate who was Muslim, her sabbath was on Saturday, however on Sunday one of my other roommates made the ultimatim that no TV was to be watched on the sabbath, she got upset with my Muslim roommate for watching TV. It was at that point where I said to her, "Should we not watch TV on Saturday then? That is her sabbath." Forcing your own chosen standards on others has never been a way to live righteously, just a way to live self righteously.

As for us, my husband and I watched it. We were both rooting for the Saints. Yay for New Orleans!! My husband went on and on all day how it was a national holiday. I still think he is silly, but as many have said, I see no problem with watching the Super Bowl on Sunday, many people use it as a family bonding time and I see no problem with that.

Perhaps you yourself ought to pay attention to the JST version of that verse. Are you judging righteously, or are you judging for the sake of judging because you're "allowed" to? Do you have the right or keys to judge another the way you are?

So, how do you define "righteous judgment"? Does it mean making baseless assumptions about the spiritual status of people who choose to watch football on Sunday? Does it mean holding others to the exact same interpretation of your God's commandments by which you live? Since you like quoting scripture, perhaps you should check out Matt 7:3-5.

Hey, look at that: Godless quoting scripture!

Don't care for the Superbowl but until this year, I've been to every worthwhile Superbowl party that's come around and I'm usually in Vegas for it. Still, I don't think it's a big deal to watch the Superbowl on Sunday but if that's how you were raised and you feel strongly against it, that isn't a big deal either.

Guest Godless

Hey, look at that: Godless quoting scripture!

Lol, don't get too excited. It bugs me when people focus on one point of doctrine (especially when they use it to try to justify questionable behavior or mindsets) while ignoring anything that might expose their own wrongs. So I guess you could say I'm giving him a taste of his own medicine. :D

The heck with the Saints and the Colts (even though I'm glad the the Saints won), I was watching the Superbowl to see The Who during the halftime! Oops, but I guess I shouldn't be listening to rock music on Sunday since I've been counseled that this is breaking the sabbath because it takes away the focus from Christ, but football's O.K.? Don't understand this.

Well, yeah, if the reason you were at a Superbowl party is because you wanted to connect with family/friends/what-have-you, then it can be okay. But, in my house, the family/friends/what-have-you can be there or not - the superbowl will still be on. So, I don't think this reasoning applies to us. We broke the Sabbath, plain and simple. Yep, we did.

I'm convinced God gave man the knowledge to invent TiVO just for this particular reason - to give my husband a better chance at keeping the Sabbath day holy on football season. :)

Jesus taught that sometimes you have to pull the ox out of the mire on Sunday. There are occasions to do extra things on Sunday that normally one would not do. The secret is to make sure you are not pushing the ox into the mire every Saturday night, giving you an excuse to party every Sunday.

Jesus also taught that the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Each of us is at a different level of spiritual growth or decline. Each of us must determine where we are at, and what we are willing to give up for God at any given time.

And I would have to disagree with Melissa's sig line. We have to be obsessed with heaven if we want to be earthly good. If you want to be good in the world, then you shouldn't obsess about heaven. To be exalted, one must be valiant in testimony.

What one does not want to be is obsessed with rules. The Pharisees obsessed about rules, rather than heaven. And they focused on the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of the law. Letter of the law tells us absolutely no television on Sundays. Spirit of the Law teaches us to do uplifting and good works on the Sabbath, which may actually include enjoying the Superbowl with one's son.

I've heard from my LDS neighbors and friends as well. That you're not suppose to watch TV on Sunday. But then I can get BYU TV on my satellite dish, which means somebody is not only broadcasting the signal, but there are people working even on Sunday to push the buttons (maybe they hire non-LDS folks for that, don't know). But it is an interesting issue, and as this poster also pointed out, why is it OK to use the computer and internet on Sundays if TV is off-limits?

As a non-member of the Church, I look at things from the outside and think, how crazy it is that members have to worry about such things. Takes away from the spirit of the law, when you're focusing on the law. Similar to the Jews who can't turn on lights or walk more than 'x' number of blocks to the temple on the Sabbath. That was one of the things that Jesus taught against. He certainly did work on Sunday, cured the sick and performed miracles much to the Rabbi's distain. Seems some people get caught up in the law and not the spirit of the law.

Wayne

What we have to note here is the distinction between Mormon culture and Mormon doctrine. Mormon culture can be the most wonderful thing. But all too often, it can be a horrible, testimony-challenging, patience-trying, completely unpleasant task of perseverance. It is not very often that I feel edified or uplifted by people in my ward. In fact, I'm not sure it's ever happened, in the entire 13 months I've been here. And that is purely because of people latching onto the culture and preaching it as doctrine.

For me, personal scripture study and institute are what build my testimony. I know I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but personal study and institute are more faith-promoting for me than General Conference. It's because my mind works in a way where I can't just be told things and be expected to grow from them. I have to study them for myself, and grow in that way. For me, religion is such an internal thing, so I've always struggled with the necessary external part of it required in the LDS church. Such is my burden to bear, I suppose.

Edited by pam

For me, personal scripture study and institute are what build my testimony. I know I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but personal study and institute are more faith-promoting for me than General Conference. It's because my mind works in a way where I can't just be told things and be expected to grow from them. I have to study them for myself, and grow in that way. For me, religion is such an internal thing, so I've always struggled with the necessary external part of it required in the LDS church. Such is my burden to bear, I suppose.

I don't think anyone would blast you for this. Each person has their own way to be edified in the gospel. While some would use General Conference there are others such as yourself that find personal scripture study and institute a way of doing that. Others might feel Sacrament meeting does it. It's all a matter of preference. To me whatever works is what is important.

Long story short, I got invited to watch the Superbowl by a co-worker. Today at temple I mentioned it to a friend and his remarks implied that I really shouldn't be watching the Superbowl on Sunday. What do people think? I was planning on going because I think the interaction would help foster some relationships that could in the future allow me to introduce people to the faith. But if it is wrong to watch the Superbowl on Sunday, I certainly don't want to do that. Yes, there will be drinking there but of course I will not be partaking. Any suggestion/advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Choseph

this a thing with spirit-

Is it wrong to watch it on sunday?

probably not and of itself...

But, Will it help you focus and draw closer to the lord?

No.

If you take the time to give up something worldly to do something Godly, will you be blessed (especially on the lords day)?

Quite likely.

How would I handle it?

Well if it was a friend who I haven't seen or been with for a real long time I'd probably agree or see if there was an alternative, but let them know I have to do things for church first.

If it was someone I saw all the time i'd probably see if there was another time we could do a cook out or somehting fun.

I'm just glad The Who didn't have a "wardrobe malfunction" while they were playing....although I THINK when Pete did one of his high jumps, (which aren't so high anymore seeing that he's about 80 yrs old now), I saw the top of what appeared to be a pair of Depends sticking out from his beltline. EEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!! :0

I actually got a little queasy when he stood up straight and showed his belly. Don't they make shirts long enough for geezers like him anymore?