President Monson dedicates bank building

Moksha

President Monson dedicates Zions Bank Financial Center

By Justin Ritter

Deseret News

Saturday, May. 15, 2010

PROVO, Utah -- LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson joined elected officials, business leaders and prominent Utah County residents Friday to dedicate and celebrate the Zions Bank Financial Center.

"May it ever be a bright and shining star in the business community of Provo, and may its influence extend far and wide," President Monson said of the new headquarters for Zions Bancorp's central Utah region.

In addition to offering a dedicatory prayer, the Mormon leader told those in attendance about some of his boyhood experiences in Utah County and also reaffirmed The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' confidence in the bank.

"You can rest assured that this church doesn't put its investments and its confidence in anything that isn't stable, honorable and (having) a record of performance and integrity," he said.

The building at 180 N. University Ave. rises eight stories and will house restaurants, shops and businesses, as well as the bank and its offices. The bank already is open for business.

I didn't know there was a dedication ceremony for Church business buildings. Is this a long standing practice? Doesn't mention if the Tabernacle Choir performed.

:mellow:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You can rest assured that this church doesn't put its investments and its confidence in anything that isn't stable, honorable and (having) a record of performance and integrity," he said.

This was said by President Monson. If the Church uses Zions Bank for their banking and investments can you imagine how big of a customer they are for the bank? Wouldn't it make SOME sense to invite the President of a Church whose roots were with that said Church to dedicate one of their buildings?

Edited by pam

Joseph Smith was (in)famous for doing things his contemporaries thought a prophet shouldn't be doing.

Jesus was known to hang out with fornicators and corrupt government officials. In Provo, maybe bankers were the vilest sinners President Monson could find? ;)

maybe some of it comes from being raised and living in the mission field. i'm not in ut. i don't see the "business" side of the church. the church and the general authorities are viewed differently here i think. i have no issues with them being imperfect and accept that better than a lot of ppl i know. i've always had difficulty with the "business" side of the church. i think it should be talked about more. more info published to the church members everywhere about it. explain it more openly and allow ppl to understand it. i think that's why some ppl have issues and think the church is secretive.

I didn't know there was a dedication ceremony for Church business buildings. Is this a long standing practice? Doesn't mention if the Tabernacle Choir performed.

:mellow:

Historically a lot of important community buildings were generally dedicated.

I'd imagine in LDS areas those causing the building to be built (if they want a dedication) would go to people who are important to them to dedicate the building.

whenever I hear about church businesses, money investmenst and especially the annual report given at gen.conf. by the auditing department a scripture from 2. nephi 28 comes to mind:

"all is well in Zion, yeah, Zion prospereth, all is well..."

Anybody else who had this thought as well? Come on, thats not an auditing report given to us, thats just nothing at all. :no:

whenever I hear about church businesses, money investmenst and especially the annual report given at gen.conf. by the auditing department a scripture from 2. nephi 28 comes to mind:

Anybody else who had this thought as well? Come on, thats not an auditing report given to us, thats just nothing at all. :no:

It would certainly be far more interesting to know where the money's going. All the audit report really tells us is that middle-management is following its own procedures. Not very informative, but I don't think it smacks of "all is well in Zion".

But, at the end of the day, the Church just isn't a democratically run institution. Either we trust the GAs to manage our contributions for the good of the Church, or we don't. A more through disclosure wouldn't silence any of the critics--they'd just start harping on why we paid above-market-rates for the carpet in the new Timbuktu Temple, or why Brother Jones of the Missionary Department was allowed to use a church vehicle to go to a mid-day doctor's appointment.

Is there something inherently wrong with things being well in Zion? If a business set up under the for-profit umbrella actually made a profit? Is it bad for the church to use money, land or holdings donated to it to create even more towards the building up of the Kingdom of God? I'm reminded of the parable of the talents.

That can end if there are major back-to-back calamities. The church is very giving on helping the world.

Is there something inherently wrong with things being well in Zion?

Well, if they are all well, there is nothing wrong with it.

I was pointing at the scripture in 2 Nephi 28:21

A report that says nothing at all sounds a bit fishy to me

I like your point about increasing ones talents. Why not share with the general membership what kind of talents were increased and how the church has been a good steward. That doesn't have to be in general conference, but why not somewhere in the ensign, church news or lds.org?

But, at the end of the day, the Church just isn't a democratically run institution. Either we trust the GAs to manage our contributions for the good of the Church, or we don't. A more through disclosure wouldn't silence any of the critics--they'd just start harping on why we paid above-market-rates for the carpet in the new Timbuktu Temple, or why Brother Jones of the Missionary Department was allowed to use a church vehicle to go to a mid-day doctor's appointment.

Or wonder why there is no money available to put the prophets advice into action...

Just a simple example from our ward:

a few years ago the 1st pres. sent a letter asking to replace doors that have no window and install doors that have a window to avoid situations where men/women/kids are alone in the same room. Apparently there have been (false?) accusations against priesthood holders in the past.

Nothing happend the last 2 years. I asked my bishop recently, why. Simple answer: our ward doesn't have the funds...

Well, if they are all well, there is nothing wrong with it.

I was pointing at the scripture in 2 Nephi 28:21

A report that says nothing at all sounds a bit fishy to me

I like your point about increasing ones talents. Why not share with the general membership what kind of talents were increased and how the church has been a good steward. That doesn't have to be in general conference, but why not somewhere in the ensign, church news or lds.org?

Well, if you don't trust the church and the outside auditors they hire to examine their books to be honest, then you probably shouldn't donate. The problem with opening the books is that everybody becomes an expert on how the church should direct funds donated to it. I suggest that if you can't trust the church to handle donated funds properly, then you probably should find another cause to give to.

i don't think the church should open the books for anything near what would be viewed as a public audit. i don't need to know where every penny goes. i just think there isn't enough talk about what all the church does. or separate it some how. there is "the church" and then there is "the church business". don't say "the church is building a mall". why not separate the two and talk about it?

i grew up in the church but not in ut. we had discussions and lessons all the time on what tithing, fast offerings, etc pay for. a child doesn't think about all the realities of this world and what it takes to accomplish things. the church ends up being put on a pedestal as some entity that though god can do all these amazing things on so little. like the flour barrel that never goes empty. it just works. so when it's never thought about, and then you hear about the church being involved in the purchase and building of malls and bank dedications and such it doesn't sit well. yes i have the logic and understanding now to process that. "in the world but not of the world" the world runs on money. the church couldn't do all it does without some form of income outside of the members. but you can't get much more worldly than banks and malls. so the logic says it's all understandable but emotion doesn't like it. in ut you have di and other church owned things, you see visitor centers and other buildings. you don't have that here. the church is not seen as a business. all we ever see are the things that run on donations, tithing funds for the building, donations for a temple, fast offerings, etc.

i've really been thinking a lot about this. i avoided the threads on the mall stuff cause it made me sick to my stomach (maybe if i read them it wouldn't have). this one did the same. unfortunately logic does not rule over emotion; i know the logic, the emotion still exists. i really think that is why some ppl feel "lied" to or that there were "secrets". they question something and start looking closer, find this stuff and the emotion rules. fortunately i think as much logically as emotionally and they balance each other (and sometimes confuse each other lol).

what would be wrong with once every few yrs having a lesson or ensign article on "what your tithing funds don't do"? talk about "the church business" all the neat things members and non members get to partake in because of the profit that is gained in wise investing. don't get into the money numbers part of it. it's not hard to say (i'm making an assumption here lol) "your tithing funds don't buy all those houses in nauvoo that ppl get to tour for free. your tithing funds don't upkeep those houses. the church has a business side that deals with those things. ..... blah blah blah" if i understood that as a child and was taught to think in terms of more than what's on the tithing slip then the emotion i think would be very different. i'm not talking about the church being "accountable" to me. just share and be open. i trust them to do what they think is best, i trust them to be guided in business ventures just as my husband and i can be in our personal lives. but why not talk about it from a church standpoint?

someone talked about the ventures joseph smith took part in that ppl did not approve of. those very business ventures are what many antis try to use against him. i honestly growing up in the church with the few things i knew of his ventures thought that it was something that took place at a very hard time for the church. the church was first starting they were desperate times. sometimes mistakes are made. joseph had a lot on his shoulders, he carried a great weight. now things are different, we have membership all over the world, one of the largest churches. not desperate times, nothing to worry about. yes i was naive. if i did not participate on this forums i would still not know about a lot of this stuff. i just think there is a lot of confusion that could be resolved simply by talking about it. not a lot, shouldn't be the focus, but just a bit.