Which do you prefer?

beefche

I am currently in Idaho but grew up in So. California.

1. Jello--side dish or dessert?

I've had it as both but it is properly a side dish. It sits there all nice on its own plate waiting for you to devour it.

2. Soda, pop, or coke?

Soda. Pop sounds too hickish. And coke is just stupid.

3. Mac and cheese--side dish or main dish?

It can be either. But don't put anything nasty in it like hamburger or hot dogs. Jeez, keep it simple.

4. Biscuits and gravy--tear up the biscuit and eat with spoon or split biscuit and eat with knife/fork?

Why would you take the time to tear the stupid biscuit up. Just pour the gravy over the top and go to town. Torn up reminds me too much of torn up bread in milk. Creepy.

5. Grits--sweet or savory?

Anyone that would add sugar to this delicacy should be shot. I just wish that they had the cool Quaker instant packets that they have in Texas up here.

6. Bathroom tissue--over or under?

Really? Why is this even an issue. My wife swears that we have to do it one way and I really don't care.

7. Green onions or scallions?

Green Onions of course. I have even heard others call them chives.

8. Pecan: pecahn or peecan?

Why would anyone eat something that sounds like a place you relieve yourself? It is p'cahn. And they are nasty.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the Southwest (Arizona), born and bred (though my mom is from Ohio and my dad and his family are from Missouri, so I have a bit of a mixed linguistical exposure).

1. Jello--side dish or dessert? Dessert, and rarely at that.

2. Soda, pop, or coke? I usually just ask for Pepsi, lol. But for a generic term I usually say "soda".

3. Mac and cheese--side dish or main dish? Both, it just depends.

4. Biscuits and gravy--tear up the biscuit and eat with spoon or split biscuit and eat with knife/fork? Butter the biscuit, skip the gravy.

5. Grits--sweet or savory? Never had them.

6. Bathroom tissue--over or under? Over

7. Green onions or scallions? Neither, yuck!

8. Pecan: pecahn or peecan? Peh-cahn

Do people call it super or dinner?

Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Anything else is a snack. And only dessert is "super", lol. ;)

Edited by MormonMama

1. Jello--side dish or dessert? Side dish for religious ceremonial gatherings in the gym - otherwise dessert only.

2. Soda, pop, or coke? Soda as long as it's a cola.

3. Mac and cheese--side dish or main dish? Side dish

4. Biscuits and gravy--tear up the biscuit and eat with spoon or split biscuit and eat with knife/fork? However Denny's serves it.

5. Grits--sweet or savory? Thought grits only came in a lump.

6. Bathroom tissue--over or under? Over or you'll get cooties.

7. Green onions or scallions? Green onions

8. Pecan: pecahn or peecan? Peck-ahns unless under the influence of a Southern Belle.

Just so you know, you are ALL failing this test miserably.

And yeah, Michael, I WILL fight about it! I'm a redneck and even we know you don't put SYRUP on biscuits---it's sausage gravy, man, all the way!

Aren't you grading this on a curve?

Born and raised mostly in Arizona but spent a little bit of time in Utah and Montana

1. Jello is a dessert

2. Soda, pop, or soda-pop. Whichever I feel like using at the time.

3. Plain as a side dish or mixed with either tuna and green beans or ground beef and tomatoes.

4. Split and eat with a fork.

5. Don't eat grits too much but when I do I eat them the same as I eat any mush, with butter honey and milk.

6. Sitting on the sink counter near the toilet.

7. Green onions.

8. puh- KHAN

Which do you prefer and which part of the country (if from USA) do you hail from? North, South, East, West? South

1. Jello--side dish or dessert?dessert

2. Soda, pop, or coke?Soda

3. Mac and cheese--side dish or main dish? Both

4. Biscuits and gravy--tear up the biscuit and eat with spoon or split biscuit and eat with knife/fork?

split biscuit and eat with a fork, unless you are under the age of 5 then I tear up the biscuit and give them a fork

5. Grits--sweet or savory?savory

6. Bathroom tissue--over or under?doesn't matter

7. Green onions or scallions?green onions

8. Pecan: pecahn or peecan?pecahn

Which do you prefer and which part of the country (if from USA) do you hail from? North, South, East, West?

Canada (westernish)

dessert, totally. with lots of whip cream. and some fruit maybe. mmm

2. Soda, pop, or coke?

pop

main dish. i could eat a whole pot of mac n cheese with hot dogs as the side dish lol (or tomatoes. oh you have me so hungry)

never had biscuits n gravy so....i don't know, but i think i'd eat it with a fork and knife

never had grits, don't even know waht they are

on the counter, no rolling over or under necessary lol

green onions

pecans (like a tin can. unless you pronounce can cahn....then i guess i'm out of luck)

Born in California, still live here as do most of my family.

1. Jello--side dish or dessert? Neither, I can't stand the stuff

2. Soda, pop, or coke? Soda

3. Mac and cheese--side dish or main dish? Side dish, but it can also be a main dish

4. Biscuits and gravy--tear up the biscuit and eat with spoon or split biscuit and eat with knife/fork? knife/fork

5. Grits--sweet or savory? Mostly sweet, with either honey or brown sugar, just like when I eat oatmeal

7. Green onions or scallions? Green onions

8. Pecan: pecahn or peecan? pecahn

Which do you prefer and which part of the country (if from USA) do you hail from? North, South, East, West?

2. Soda, pop, or coke?

Born and raised in Montana, so western part of the country.

1) Side dish

2) Soda!

3) Main dish. But I'm a real sucker for cheese.

4) Ewwww, I don't like biscuits and gravy! Pass!

5) I had grits once in my life. I don't really care for them.

6) Over

7) Green onions

8) Peecan.

Guest mirancs8

I was born and raised in the Philly burbs. It was only 2 years ago that I moved out to Arizona.

1. Jello--side dish or dessert? Side

2. Soda, pop, or coke? Coke

3. Mac and cheese--side dish or main dish? Side Dish

4. Biscuits and gravy--tear up the biscuit using hands & dip it in the gravy

5. Grits--sweet or savory? Never had it

7. Green onions or scallions? Scallions

8. Pecan: pecahn or peecan? Peecan

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Can I add one?

9. Drinking fountain/water fountain or bubbler?

I have some friends from the north that swear it's a bubbler.

Can I add one?

9. Drinking fountain/water fountain or bubbler?

I have some friends from the north that swear it's a bubbler.

I heard bubbler when I was in Idaho, for me it has always been a drinking fountain. But yes, I do remember the first time I heard it, I had asked someone where I could get some water and they told me that they had seen a bubbler around the corner. It took me awhile before I realized they were talking about the drinking fountain.

Grits are actually a 1st cousin to corn. It's ground Hominy.

So, if folks in the west or mid west call coke "soda", and folks up north call it "pop" is there an area somewhere in the middle where folks call it "soda-pop"??? Cause I have heard it called that before.

And yes, the noon meal is called dinner or lunch, the evening meal is nothing but supper.

Sweet grits??? Folks, if you want a sweet breakfast make you some oatmeal or whatever that mush stuff is they eat up north. Don't contaminate our most loved food on Earth, and yes...grits are groceries! We also eat cheese grits with our fried fish meal. It's like peanutbutter and jelly. They go together. And another yes. YES WE DO POUR SYRUP ON OUR BISCUITS!!! We also pour it on salmon croquettes. It may just be a custom in the deep DEEP southern parts of Ga but it's the way my family has eaten it for as long as I can remember. :P

So, if folks in the west or mid west call coke "soda", and folks up north call it "pop" is there an area somewhere in the middle where folks call it "soda-pop"??? Cause I have heard it called that before.

My grandmother was from Missouri and if memory serves she usually called it "soda-pop". That could be an age-related thing as well though, because my dad, aunt and uncle (her kids) all call it "soda".

YES WE DO POUR SYRUP ON OUR BISCUITS!!! We also pour it on salmon croquettes. It may just be a custom in the deep DEEP southern parts of Ga but it's the way my family has eaten it for as long as I can remember. :P

Ya'll sure ain't from Kaintuck. Ma Kaintuck kin eats them thar bizkits with gravy--in a bow with da bizkits tore up inside and gravy all over dem--an we et it with a spoon. (said in my best Kentucky accent that I have from my grannie).

England, the midlands.

1. Jello--side dish or dessert? We don't have jello, we have jelly. I've never known it as anything but dessert.

2. Soda, pop, or coke? Coke is one type of pop, surely? It's one specific brand. Anyway, I'd usually call them either "soft drink" or pop.

3. Mac and cheese--side dish or main dish? It's usually called Macaroni cheese here, and nearly always a main dish.

4. Biscuits and gravy--tear up the biscuit and eat with spoon or split biscuit and eat with knife/fork? I think we have very different ideas as to what a biscuit actually is :lol: that is vile

5. Grits--sweet or savory? Never heard of it

6. Bathroom tissue--over or under? Either. Lol. If I had OCD, it'd probably be under.

7. Green onions or scallions? Neither, we call them spring onions.

8. Pecan: pecahn or peecan? Peecan.

Edited by Mahone

I think we have very different ideas as to what a biscuit actually is :lol: that is vile

lol

Biscuits are not Cookies - cookies and gravy would be vile.

Biscuits and Sausage gravy are real close to heaven on earth

Y'all need to learn to speak proper English :D

Biscuits are not Cookies, Chips are not fries, Crisps are not chips.:cool:

Edited by mnn727

lol

Biscuits are not Cookies - cookies and gravy would be vile.

Biscuits and Sausage gravy are real close to heaven on earth

Posted Image

+

Posted Image

That was my immediate mental image upon seeing biscuits and gravy.

Y'all need to learn to speak proper English :D

Biscuits are not Cookies, Chips are not fries, Crisps are not chips.:cool:

We have some great fun with the American missionaries. Generally most English people are aware of the American mutation of English and the words we have in common, but with completely different meanings. It does seem as though it doesn't apply vice versa, leading to some very amusing conversations (at least on our part, quite often the poor missionary has no idea why we laugh so much).

We have some great fun with the American missionaries. Generally most English people are aware of the American mutation of English and the words we have in common, but with completely different meanings. It does seem as though it doesn't apply vice versa, leading to some very amusing conversations (at least on our part, quite often the poor missionary has no idea why we laugh so much).

I'd have fun with the missionaries via some of the food. Offer to make them toad in a hole, or get them to eat some spotted dick and wait for them to ask what it is (with prompting if necessary). :D

Of course as a Missionary there I would have had fun telling people back home about all the people I knocked up. Or telling a greenie to ask folks to take a look at his pants. ;)

Edited by Dravin