Why Are Mormon Church Meetings So Dull?

Moksha

There was another member of the priesthood with rameumpton at the time- they were under very specific orders to see if the Spirit was being felt (i.e., "see if it was being done properly"). They were entitled to the reception of the Spirit if it was present.

Because the law of witnesses was fulfilled (that is, having two or more persons present to experience the event), I'd wager that rameumpton's conclusion- that this sister did not have the right intent, or something else was deeply wrong- was correct.

When a person speaks by the power of the Holy Ghost, the Holy Ghost brings the message to the heart of the listeners (2 Nephi 33:1). However, when the Holy Ghost cannot endorse what is being said because the speaker has ill intentions (or something else is wrong with the speaker), the Holy Ghost cannot bring it unto the hearts of the listeners.

It is impossible for anyone to know how many people felt the spirit that day. All he can testify to is himself.

I've been to so many meetings where I got so much out of them and my spouse or kids did not. The spirit speaks to us in ways we can understand.

Did the speaker have ill intentions or was she just naive.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan to have one, possibly two, more child(ren), so I don't really plan on getting much out of Sacrament meeting for the next 5 years or so, especially if my husband gets called into the bishopric.

Im sure your husband is a great guy and is probably worthy of such a calling, but it strikes odd that you are assuming he will, or considering the fact that he might. Almost like you are aspiring to the calling in his behalf. Sorry if Im wrong, but this seems a little pretentious to me.

I'm also usually focused on my two-year-old. I plan to have one, possibly two, more child(ren), so I don't really plan on getting much out of Sacrament meeting for the next 5 years or so, especially if my husband gets called into the bishopric.

Im sure your husband is a great guy and is probably worthy of such a calling, but it strikes odd that you are assuming he will, or considering the fact that he might. Almost like you are aspiring to the calling in his behalf. Sorry if Im wrong, but this seems a little pretentious to me.

(1) I said "if."

(2) Given the structure and population of my ward, it's a very strong possibility.

(3) Given the calling that my husband has had for the last two years, it's a very strong possibility.

(4) Don't judge that which you have no knowledge of.

(5) pretentious, adj.: making usually unjustified or excessive claims -- in this case, based on my statement within the sphere in which its circumstances exist, I am not pretentious, but you are.

Unbelievable. Really. Who are you to say such a thing to Wingnut? My word, I can't believe the things that are being said on this board.

And I thought CF was bad. To think that people on this board think nothing of laying such a slanderous accusation at the feet of one of our sisters. There was nothing in her posts to even remotely indicate the conclusion you jumped to.

I think you owe her an apology for that one.

Guest LeeRain
Hidden

If I strive to comfort the people and teach them of God's love and mercy, I may foster a people who are "saved, but unrighteous." If I strive to raise people up in righteousness, good works and a holy awe of Almighty God, I may raise up Pharisaical, self-righteous snobs, who look like Jesus, but are cold on the inside. Lord help us find that love and holiness can feed one another, rather than be on constant competition!

big tits

anal beads

It is impossible for anyone to know how many people felt the spirit that day. All he can testify to is himself.

I've been to so many meetings where I got so much out of them and my spouse or kids did not. The spirit speaks to us in ways we can understand.

Did the speaker have ill intentions or was she just naive.

She did not have ill intentions. Neither was she naive. She was wholly into her own experience, and her pride got the best of her. I understand that not everyone experiences the Spirit in every talk, and that sometimes it is just a matter of the individual being in tune.

That said, in this instance, this sister was teaching from her own pride and glory, not from the Spirit. Did she dazzle people? Yes. But there was no doctrine, and the glory was pointed at her, not Christ.

(1) I said "if."

(2) Given the structure and population of my ward, it's a very strong possibility.

(3) Given the calling that my husband has had for the last two years, it's a very strong possibility.

(4) Don't judge that which you have no knowledge of.

(5) pretentious, adj.: making usually unjustified or excessive claims -- in this case, based on my statement within the sphere in which its circumstances exist, I am not pretentious, but you are.

Looks like you have given the thought of your husband being in the bishopric a thorough analysis. Given the structure of my ward, and the calling I have had for the past two years, I wonder what calling Ill have in 5 years? Wait a minute, no I dont.

Looks like you have given the thought of your husband being in the bishopric a thorough analysis. Given the structure of my ward, and the calling I have had for the past two years, I wonder what calling Ill have in 5 years? Wait a minute, no I dont.

Wondering is not the same as aspiring. For that matter, speculating is not the same as aspiring, either.

Edited by Wingnut

I read some of this thread but to be honest – not a lot. I thought I would share some thoughts about sacrament meeting and sacrament meeting talks.

The first thought I have is the honor of participating in the prophetic nature and sacredness of the sacrament. I do understand that many saints come unprepared for this very holy ordnance and are therefore easily distracted by various events of their lives or restless children present or whatever. However, I am in constant awe with the boys called to stand as proxy for our L-rd and on occasion that I am allowed to assist them is service to G-d.

Second thought has to do with boring talks. I have come to understand that the less I know about the speaker and care about them on a personal level, the more boring I seem to judge their talks. I use to be highly critical of Primary children’s efforts at expressing a testimony because the short expressions are so similar and seem memorized or something. But having served in the Primary and having had the privilege of spending much time with these children – I have come to appreciate and enjoy their innocent efforts and personal fears they have in expressing anything they feel to adults.

Final thought – I am quite sure that regardless of how boring a talk may seem to many – that the person giving the so called boring talk spent much more time preparing their message than those that do not receive it very well prepared to be spiritually enlightened by it.

I am grateful for every opportunity I have had to meet with the saints of G-d that are honoring their covenants and accepting a call to prepare something from their heart to mine in a talk. And yes – sometimes, on occasions I am amazed by their worldly abilities to entertain – But to be entertained, though fun and not empirically boring, it is not my purpose or goal in sacrament meeting.

The Traveler

It's inappropriate to directly and publically question the spiritual aspirations of others--more so when, after being called on the behavior, to press forward while offering self-congratulations. Wingnut need not defend herself...this subdiscussion is detracting from the topic at hand.

It's inappropriate to directly and publically question the spiritual aspirations of others--more so when, after being called on the behavior, to press forward while offering self-congratulations. Wingnut need not defend herself...this subdiscussion is detracting from the topic at hand.

Dang, I forgot you arent allowed to detract from a topic unless you are one of the forum elitists. This is hardly the first detracting post here, or even in this topic.

I find it strange and tacky that anyone, regardless of their ward make-up would start "wondering" or "speculating" about a calling for themselves or their husband in the next 5 years. I hope everyone has high spiritual aspirations, and that we would aspire to be worthy of holding ANY calling. Anyone that is "wondering" or "speculating" about climbing the church ladder is in my opinion, unworthy of calling.

Dang, I forgot you arent allowed to detract from a topic unless you are one of the forum elitists. This is hardly the first detracting post here, or even in this topic.

I find it strange and tacky that anyone, regardless of their ward make-up would start "wondering" or "speculating" about a calling for themselves or their husband in the next 5 years. I hope everyone has high spiritual aspirations, and that we would aspire to be worthy of holding ANY calling. Anyone that is "wondering" or "speculating" about climbing the church ladder is in my opinion, unworthy of calling.

Then I guess it's a good thing that your opinion doesn't matter.

There's an immense difference between aspiring to a calling and preparing for the possibility of a calling.

I remember sitting in Sacrament when a new bishop was called. His wife was asked to bear her testimony, and among the things she said were, "We always kind of knew this day would come. We knew we needed to be ready, but didn't think it would come so soon." That bishop didn't aspire to the calling, and I can assure you he didn't consider it his favorite assignment in the Church. But he was quite right in his assessment that it was coming.

So yeah, you're wrong. There was nothing pretentious. Every member of the Church should strive to be worthy and prepared to take on the mantel of the prophet and have the humility to accept whatever calling may come.

I agree that threads get highjacked all the time into people going back and forth at each other. I also feel like there is a core of posters that are all "friends" and have known each other for a long time on here, that seem to gang up on the newbies if they disagree, and have each other's backs. I do think it gets to the point of cliqueish.

Not agreeing that people should attack each other on the forums, but sometimes the pot calls the kettle black, and all the other pots gang up on one kettle. : ).

There's an immense difference between aspiring to a calling and preparing for the possibility of a calling.

I remember sitting in Sacrament when a new bishop was called. His wife was asked to bear her testimony, and among the things she said were, "We always kind of knew this day would come. We knew we needed to be ready, but didn't think it would come so soon." That bishop didn't aspire to the calling, and I can assure you he didn't consider it his favorite assignment in the Church. But he was quite right in his assessment that it was coming.

So yeah, you're wrong. There was nothing pretentious. Every member of the Church should strive to be worthy and prepared to take on the mantel of the prophet and have the humility to accept whatever calling may come.

MOE, I like your posts. You contribute some good stuff here. Its ok if you think Im wrong. Its ok if I think Im not. Id be turned off by what this bishop's wife said. I think its tacky and pretentious. I dont care if Im disagreed with.

I agree that threads get highjacked all the time into people going back and forth at each other. I also feel like there is a core of posters that are all "friends" and have known each other for a long time on here, that seem to gang up on the newbies if they disagree, and have each other's backs. I do think it gets to the point of cliqueish.

Not agreeing that people should attack each other on the forums, but sometimes the pot calls the kettle black, and all the other pots gang up on one kettle. : ).

Careful man, you havent reached 1,000 posts yet so your opinion doesnt count yet. Thanks for playing though!

Its funny. . . I came here about a year ago wanting some help on a challenge I was facing. People were quick to give advice and it was so helpful. Then I disagreed with an elitist and got hammered by all the cronies. Im so glad that this elitism is limited to this forum and not the members that I interact with on a personal level.

Well, since we've already hijacked the thread, no, there isn't a core group of friends who have each other's backs. In fact, I couldn't tell you much about any of the posters on the forum because I don't interact with them very much.

There is, however, a core group of posters that tend to rely more on reasoned and logically consistent thought. It's also a core group of posters that are willing to question their initial thoughts and feelings to explore alternative explanations. We tend to not get along well with those who post impulsive comments and make statements beyond substantiation.

But have no doubt, every one of us in the 'clique' is more than willing, and often eager, to jump down another's throat the second something inappropriate is said.

MOE, I like your posts. You contribute some good stuff here. Its ok if you think Im wrong. Its ok if I think Im not. Id be turned off by what this bishop's wife said. I think its tacky and pretentious. I dont care if Im disagreed with.

You're welcome to disagree with me as much as you like so long as you are prepared to be wrong :)

Well, you'd probably hate my pretentions then. Because I'm one of those people that is actively preparing himself to take on the role of a bishop. I don't know if it will be in my current ward (I actually hope it isn't in my current ward) or in some other ward in the future. But it will come as a great surprise to me if I never am called to serve in that position.

Why would someone so young be so pretentious? you might ask.

There are a number of reasons. People have been telling me that I'm going to be a bishop for the better part of 20 years. It started when I was 10 years old, and the frequency of such statements has only increased over time. People that have told me this have included youth leaders, bishops, stake presidents, mission presidents, etc; people with great spiritual insight and even responsibility to train the future leaders of the Church. In fact, my current bishop not long ago charged me with training my assistant clerk to become a ward clerk because, direct quote, "he will be the next bishop's clerk." His implication was pretty clear, although time will tell if he's right or not. I've also been called to serve in positions including ward executive secretary, ward clerk, district clerk, mission secretary, and in positions where I've been called on to translate temple recommend interview. To put it simply, the grooming process for me began when I was very young. And on top of all of that, it's in my patriarchal blessing that I will serve in such a position, not to mention in "high ranking" positions at the stake level.

Here's another odd piece of evidence for you. I was considering marrying a girl that had a number of emotional struggles and co-dependency issues. As our relationship progressed, it was made known to me that if I proceeded to marry her, I would not be able to hold all the positions and callings the Lord had for me because her emotional state wasn't such that she could handle my absence as I fulfilled those roles.

So am I just being pretentious in saying that there's a high likelihood that I'll be a bishop someday? Given the experiences that I've had, wouldn't you think it would be wise to study up on what bishops do, what decisions they make, what their responsibilities are, and what things work well and don't work well within a ward? Or should I just sit back and remain ignorant so that when the calling comes I can start from scratch and reinvent the wheel?

Just something to think about--knowing your skills, abilities, and potential doesn't make you pretentious. But having that knowledge can help you prepare. And you'd have to be a fool to not prepare for it if you know it's a possibility.

Well, since we've already hijacked the thread, no, there isn't a core group of friends who have each other's backs. In fact, I couldn't tell you much about any of the posters on the forum because I don't interact with them very much.

There is, however, a core group of posters that tend to rely more on reasoned and logically consistent thought. It's also a core group of posters that are willing to question their initial thoughts and feelings to explore alternative explanations. We tend to not get along well with those who post impulsive comments and make statements beyond substantiation.

But have no doubt, every one of us in the 'clique' is more than willing, and often eager, to jump down another's throat the second something inappropriate is said.

You're welcome to disagree with me as much as you like so long as you are prepared to be wrong :)

Oh, I guess the newbie's posts are just not well thought out or reasoned or logical enough for the clique? Hmmmm. . . Even the rude and trollish ones in the clique slide by on being attacked by the clique, but a newbie that the clique feels is not "smart" enough for them is often pounced on. Of course my opinion is subjective, but justaname feels the same way and I know of two other posters that have pmed me with the same assumptions.

Here is a current article by an LDS author at Beliefnet and a snippet from it:

Read more: Why Are Mormon Church Meetings So Dull? - Flunking Sainthood

Any thoughts on this subject?

:o

A reminder to active posters on this string as to what the OP and topic were about. Also, personal attacks, bickering, and publicly arguing with the moderating team are all violations of TOS. Those that wish to discuss unrelated ideas may start new strings and raise those issues.

A reminder to active posters on this string as to what the OP and topic were about. Also, personal attacks, bickering, and publicly arguing with the moderating team are all violations of TOS. Those that wish to discuss unrelated ideas may start new strings and raise those issues.

How's this:

Mormon church meetings are boring because we don't talk in church like we do on internet forums :D

/me dodges the big sticks being swung by the moderating team.

:D I had not noticed this topic before!

Meetings are what they are. Some Sundays I walk out of chrch feeling like a new guy, some Sundays I struggle through the 3 hour block. I'm human.

On another note, most forums have "cliques". They are what they are. The internet provides the safety of anonymity, and promotes boorish behavior by some. It's easy to be brave when you can't get pushed out of your chair. We actually have lessons in public school dealing with internet bullying. It happens amongst adults. I wouldn't think that anyone on this site would stoop to knowitall, gang up, internet bullying behavior.