Has anyone prayed about Evolution?

MarieV

Haven't you ever seen X-men?

Traveler is saying you could be like Storm.

I call Wolverine.

Can I be Xavier? I've already got the bald dome (though it's affected).

He's pretty hot.

If I'm remembering the last movie correctly he's a hairy Canadian lumberjack, it's hard work, so I suppose elevated body temperature are to unexpected.

To Traveler:

Have you prayed about who really shot JFK? Where Amelia Earhart went down? The location of Jimmy Hoffa? How much wood a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? If not, why not? Why aren't you engaging in this great and noble cause? And don't tell me it isn't important to you, by responding to my question you are certifying it is.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I watch National Geographic and the History Channel I can't help but believe:

A) They have an agenda

B ) Junk science and history are alive and well

C) Someone actually pays someone to film some of those shows (See The Real Wolfman)

D) Just because you've been to college doesn't mean you're educated.

Although I do like MonsterQuest.

I'm with Wing, I have other issues in my life that are more pressing than Evolution.

Yes, I pray about everything I learn, I don't believe there is such a thing as secular education. Everything we learn has an eternal consequence. My understanding and belief about evolution and creation has changed over the years, and will continue to change it may not resemble what i currently believe in a few years. (That in itself is evolution lol) And once the veil is removed my understanding will be greater still.

My current belief is that Adam and Eve were created by God. Evolution occurs and happens but it is not how our particular group of humans came into existence.

My question is did you specifically pray about evolution: Dear Heavenly Father, Is Adam a result of evolution from monkeys?

Also, my husband challenges some of my answers to prayers because he says that sometimes I am just hearing what I want. Considering the first time I prayed I was expecting a specific answer (not as open), and the second time I just wanted to find what was true (very open to anything).

How can you be sure that you are not hearing what you want? That is, can you honestly say you are open to either way? Are you going to go against what most of the church believes, what your parents taught you, the accepting that atheist scientists could be right? Are you going against your educated, open-minded self that would have to put aside your pride to accept that God did just "poof" put us here?

I hesitate putting what my answer was because when I have shared it in the past, I have not been taken seriously. I am not really hearing God talking to me. So, forgive me for not making the big reveal. Past experience has left me wary of sharing.

Praying to help us keep an open mind and to diligently apply the methods of science couldn't hurt. Praying may even effect quantum particles***.

Studying evolution helps us see God's actual methodology and expands the boundaries set by a more primitive religious understanding.

***this would bring such particles from a stodgy conservative state to a heightened liberal state. The ultimate test on this quantum postulation would be to put Glenn Beck in a supercollider and test for both neutrino emissions and a methane/hydrogen sulfide presence.

Ah, evolution. I support it as a good theory, but consider myself a creationist (not the crazy type, though). I believe that God created the heavens and earth, but we aren't entirely sure on the how. I think we all need to realize that any scientific theory or principle we have is still not complete. Take for instance the nature and beginning of the universe: the Big Bang theory is one of the most popular and used theories out there, but there are many flaws with it. We have troubles still finding a universal theory that encompasses both the Newtonian world and the quantum. Even Newtonian physics, which we've had for centuries, can't be explained completely, albeit pretty darn close. Things can be pretty complex. As for the theory of evolution, I just say we don't yet have the whole story.

I've never prayed on it, but have thought about it, and had a few insights.

1. That we did not evolve from monkeys. (there are still monkeys)

2. Yes, our genes and the genes of all living things originate from certain base genes, but not because we all evolved from one source, but simply put, because I beleive God used it as the basis of creation (thats my theory.) It was easy and practical to start with a base design and build your way up from there.

3. I beleive God made us to evolve and adapt, it only makes sense to make things adaptable to an environment, to survive in some fashion. Its smart. Increments of evolution make sense.

Theres my 2 cents.

I've never prayed on it, but have thought about it, and had a few insights.

1. That we did not evolve from monkeys. (there are still monkeys)

2. Yes, our genes and the genes of all living things originate from certain base genes, but not because we all evolved from one source, but simply put, because I beleive God used it as the basis of creation (thats my theory.) It was easy and practical to start with a base design and build your way up from there.

3. I beleive God made us to evolve and adapt, it only makes sense to make things adaptable to an environment, to survive in some fashion. Its smart. Increments of evolution make sense.

Theres my 2 cents.

Well, I got to point #1 and couldn't read any further without commenting. You do realize that the connection between monkeys and humans is that we simply share a common ancestor. Monkeys didn't "magically" turn into humans. It's demonstrated in the picture below. Notice the closest point between humans and 'monkeys', we share an ancestor.. cousins, so to speak.

Posted Image

Are you going to go against what most of the church believes, what your parents taught you, the accepting that atheist scientists could be right?

(1) When you say "most of the church," are you referring to church members, or the Church? The Church has no position on evolution. The Church teaches that God created the world and everything in it, but it doesn't take a position on how He created any of it. As for what "most of the church" (members) believe, why should anyone let that affect how they believe about doctrine?

(2) How do you know what anyone's parents taught them?

(3) Not all scientists are atheists.

Where does a meekat fit into all of this?

Do you mean meerkat?

I hesitate putting what my answer was because when I have shared it in the past, I have not been taken seriously. I am not really hearing God talking to me. So, forgive me for not making the big reveal. Past experience has left me wary of sharing.

Oh, phooey, I was curious and was about to ask what your answer was! :huh:

HEP

(1) When you say "most of the church," are you referring to church members, or the Church? The Church has no position on evolution. The Church teaches that God created the world and everything in it, but it doesn't take a position on how He created any of it. As for what "most of the church" (members) believe, why should anyone let that affect how they believe about doctrine?

(2) How do you know what anyone's parents taught them?

(3) Not all scientists are atheists.

I am coming from a very conservative background. My parents taught me that evolution was a theory that a bunch of atheist scientists came up with. From my experience talking with many other members, they were taught the same thing. So I am referring to members of the church, not the church. I have met more members than not that were taught from their parents that evolution was wrong, not a scientific fact. And I have come up against the attitude, " If you believe in evolution you are either an atheist or on the path to it."

That said, I should have clarified my questions to make sure everyone understood, that I was quoting what I hear, the reasons why people believe in evolution and why not.

And if you pray about evolution how much do these ideas effect your answer. Are you just hearing what you are comfortable with. I am not making a judgment call on either side. If you believe in evolution, fine. If you don't, that is fine too. But I have never met anyone that has prayed so specifically about as I have, let alone get an answer, a clear, no-way-to-misunderstand answer.

I am coming from a very conservative background. My parents taught me that evolution was a theory that a bunch of atheist scientists came up with. From my experience talking with many other members, they were taught the same thing. So I am referring to members of the church, not the church. I have met more members than not that were taught from their parents that evolution was wrong, not a scientific fact. And I have come up against the attitude, " If you believe in evolution you are either an atheist or on the path to it."

That said, I should have clarified my questions to make sure everyone understood, that I was quoting what I hear, the reasons why people believe in evolution and why not.

And if you pray about evolution how much do these ideas effect your answer. Are you just hearing what you are comfortable with. I am not making a judgment call on either side. If you believe in evolution, fine. If you don't, that is fine too. But I have never met anyone that has prayed so specifically about as I have, let alone get an answer, a clear, no-way-to-misunderstand answer.

Regardless of the truth of how Heavenly Father created us, it's still a completely irrelevant question from a doctrinal standpoint. He still created us, whether through evolution or some other means. Explaining how a process works does not explain how the subjects of that process were created in their original state, or why. Atheists just love to assume otherwise.

Edited by PrinceofLight2000

Explaining how a process works does not explain how the subjects of that process were created in their original state, or why.

That is why religion and science can work so well in tandem, since they supply the answers to separate parts of the whole. Religion presents us with the grand picture and science provides us with knowledge of God's methodology. Evolution is part of God's methodology and majesty.

That is why religion and science can work so well in tandem, since they supply the answers to separate parts of the whole. Religion presents us with the grand picture and science provides us with knowledge of God's methodology. Evolution is part of God's methodology and majesty.

Well said, although I'd still say the jury's out on whether evolution applies to us or not. It's no consequence either way, though.

Charles Darwin wasn't an atheist scientist, and many of his contemporaries like George Gordon were actually ministers.

Well said, although I'd still say the jury's out on whether evolution applies to us or not. It's no consequence either way, though.

It is not a matter if the jury is out and what applies to us in this fabrication of evolution, whether we truly understand how it was done by the GOD(s) through various accounts that are written. A key that could aid any person here regarding evolution, is "progression of intelligence" - from previous intelligence form will only give credence to how it is done.

You are correct. He was a god fearing man in his youth. Years ago, learning Charles background in Christian beliefs stemmed from his parental upbringing. Later, his basis of finding the truth was the stem of bad preaching of genesis from the local clergy. Sad to say, the rest is history. :)

I am a passionate defender of Charles Darwin he was an a amazing man, an incredibly brave man in many ways, he went outside of his comfort zones to search for evidence. What he discovered has contributed greatly to the world. What he found is important and is part of us learning about who we are, and how we were made. Sometimes the interpretation is off but it doesn't mean we shouldn'#t stumble make mistakes, learn and grow.

I am not advocate of his work, nor endorse it at any level, or, seeing what was his true motive of publishing such during the time when three other men that cause a great deal of world's agony. Was it really for truth or 'five seconds' of fame? However, anything that was written and claimed as science, will be rewritten and corrected when the Lord returns. :D

However, I do endorse the Darwin award...:P