I want to get a gun for the house..

dorave

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, then you will never convince her. You need to determine what she's scared of and then reassure her regarding that. I would imagine most people scared of guns are afraid of accidents. By physically showing her how a gun works, how there are safety measures placed throughout the gun, and allowing her to try it herself will help her see that accidents can be prevented.

Well, then you will never convince her. You need to determine what she's scared of and then reassure her regarding that. I would imagine most people scared of guns are afraid of accidents. By physically showing her how a gun works, how there are safety measures placed throughout the gun, and allowing her to try it herself will help her see that accidents can be prevented.

True I think I'll try that, Cheers

Why not? My dad had guns in the house from the time I was little. Always had them locked up in a safe and the ammo put in another place. You don't have to be stupid about the safety at home.

Ok, let me qualify...

If the gun is going to be for protection, and in a drawer, under pillow, etc, best to not have one. Little 5 yo junior will use it as a pacifier.

If it's going to be used for sport, hobby and stay under lock and key, then that's another story.

My old man had guns in the house for sport. I've had one in my hands since I was 8. He didn't want me to get curious when I went to a friends house and blow myself away. So I guess I should just shut up and say...

"It Depends..."

She's too scared.

And start her out with .22LR if you can get to that point. They are less intimidating, taking her out with a twelve gauge or a .44 Mag (or my recently purchased Mosin-Nagant 91/30*) wouldn't be the best idea for a first time if you want her to try it. A bruised shoulder or a hurt wrist won't help in convincing her they are unsafe manifestation of raw deadly power.

* Sorry, had to brag. Back to your scheduled programing.

My first experience with firearms was when I was two. I found my dad's unlocked and loaded .357 revolver. I blew my brains out, but I got better.

On a serious note, I really did grow up around guns. My parents were hunting guides in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area of Montana when I was born, and for a time aftwerwards. My mom has a photo of me as a tot, with a toy gun. I was in a backpack she was wearing, while on horseback. I got my first rifle when I got the Aaronic Priesthood, but had access to firearms before then.

Think about why you want a gun. Then keep it securely locked away. If you can find out what your wife's fears are, I'd be interested to know.

If you have kids in the house, don't.

That is exactly why I bought a pistol. Be smart about how you store your firearms. There are all kinds of biometric safes that are designed to store a loaded firearm for self defense and only to open with a fingerprint. They are reasonably priced and reliable.

It is my responsibility as the 'man' of the house to provide for my family. That not only means to provide substanance and shelter but protection. Remember the police have absolutely no obligation to protect you in case of an emergency (you can google it and read the supreme court ruling in Warren v. District of Columbia, not for the faint of heart).

On a lighter note, I got my wife started by showing her my 1891/30 while field stripping it. Took her to the range a few times (to show her), and after a while she shot my Cz82 chambered in 9x18 makarov. She loved it and now wants a lever gun of all things. Just take it slow, don't push her and for goodness sake don't start her out with a large caliber.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

She's too scared.

Your job is to provide and protect. You are the first line of defence. The police will be there 15 minutes later to pull out a pen and paper. Not a gun. You are just going to have to put your foot down on that one. She can have you whooped in other ways. She is actually preventing you from doing your job. We have had weapons since we came out of the caves. angels have weapons. It is your right.

Edited by pam
Unnecessary comment

It is always interesting to me concerning the personal use of guns. I grew up in a home with a vast variety of guns. I was taught to use different types of guns from my youth.

If the primary intention for the use of guns is for protection then you should consider the following before purchasing a lethal firearm.

1. Make sure that yourself and everyone in the household that you intend to use the gun is mentally and spiritually prepared to kill when they have the opportunity to do so.

2. I would suggest a semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun. It is generally the most lethal close range weapon for urban environments. BTW as a youth I was present at a friend’s house when a 12 gauge shotgun was accidently discharged. The hole in the third wall after the discharge was about 3 feet in diameter. Unlike the movies no one will be able to safely hide behind walls or furniture when you come after them.

3. Train regularly at a certified range. Minimum of once a month. Make sure that everyone in your family is trained to know exactly what to do. Both in the use of firearms and how to respond when you are using a firearm.

The Traveler

i have to strongly disagree with those that say get a gun against your wife's wishes. it is not your "right" to own a gun in that since (especially if you have kids).

if my husband got a gun knowing i was against it i would pack up the kids and move out till it was gone. there is more than one way to protect your family and if it's locked up proper it's useless in an emergency situation anyway. you need to find out exactly what bothers her. she may be receiving inspiration that your home should not have a gun (it may also just be her personal fears), and if you are receiving inspiration that you need one you should be communicating that after a lot of prayer. don't confuse personal wants for inspiration.

i will not have a gun in my home. i can't say "it's due to inspiration". that being said it's something i've known most of my life. i'm not one to over empathize when i hear of tragedy. i feel sad for ppl but i don't feel the emotions down to my core like i do when it's someone i really know. every time, even when i was young, when i would hear stories about families that had guns and every precaution in the book was taken and yet a family member was still killed accidentally i feel sick down to my core. i get the same feeling when i hear about kids being run over by a family member. i am very rigid about everyone must be on the porch when someone is backing out of the drive. i can't say yes it's inspiration but it's also not something i can ignore.

I said No to guns too. I believe that unless it's a hunting rifle or a duck-shooting shotgun, there is no other purpose for having a gun but to kill somebody. It bothered me that my husband is ready and willing to shoot someone to death.

If he would have bought a gun without my consent, we would probably be divorced right then and there so he wouldn't have any family to have to protect.

Anyway, I bought him a shotgun for Valentine's Day as part of our Emergency Preparedness effort.

So, I'm guessing your wife is probably like me - I'm not scared of guns, I'm scared of the IMPLICATION of owning one. I got my husband a shotgun as a means of providing for ourselves - I would have gotten him a hunting rifle but he is very skilled in the shotgun more than the rifle. I'm sure if some psychopath comes into the house with a gun, my husband will probably load up that shotgun and blow him up. I've been married 12 years, I'm resigned to that fact now.

So, my suggestion to you - ask her if she's okay with hunting rifles as part of Emergency Preparedness. If she says yes, then you got your compromise.

I have my concealed weapons permit and I carry a .40 with me pretty much everywhere I go.

This took a lot of convincing on my part for the wife to allow me to get a gun. The most effective thing you can use is education. Go take some classes with her. You will both learn something and I'm sure she will find that it's not that big of a deal once she sees that you CAN be safe with them if you take the necessary precautions. Our agreement is that I have to have it locked up at night, which is really no big deal.

My thoughts on this have a lot to do with what the purpose of the firearm is. If you're wanting to buy a handgun for home security, you should probably think twice. If you want to buy a firearm for sport and self sufficiency, then that's fine by me.

My personal opinion is that keeping a handgun around for home protection is normally unnecessary and often a brush with disaster. The only time you would need a firearm for protection in your home is when there is an intruder whose intent is to harm you or your family. That rarely happens without you knowing that the possibility exists. 99% of the time, stomping on the floor and letting your intruder know you are present, awake, and in possession of a phone is sufficient to get him to leave the home. Confronting the intruder is often the mistake that transcends burglary into violent crime. As long as the intruder feels like his anonymity is protected, there is no reason to cause physical harm, which would only remove his anonymity.

In the vast majority of cases, a telephone and your voice are the best defense you have against home invaders.

In the case where the intruder wants to harm you or your family, that's when you want a firearm. However, these cases tend to be rare, and most people who are at risk of such an attack usually know that there is some possibility of the attack. For instance, I am in full support of Loudmouth_Mormon's ownership of a handgun as he has reason to believe that someone may seek to do him harm.

I do not consider fear of anonymous burglary to be just cause for a firearm.

Several firearms I'd recommend staying away from for now. All of them would confirm her worst fears and generally scare the heck out of the poor girl:

1.)

2.)

3.) Desert Eagle 50 Caliber

4.) Smith and Wesson 500 (50 Caliber Magnum) see also

5.) And make sure your wife doesn't do this:

(My apologies for language, it was all i could find.)

My recommendation: Start with a 22 caliber rifle and handgun, and your wife's first experience with guns should be a pleasant one. It really isn't absolutely necessary to move up from 22 cal, but if you do, make sure to educate her on how to handle the kick of the more powerful guns. Bracing the gun fully against the shoulder for rifles and shotguns, knowing how to hold a handgun and how to handle the recoil of a handgun.

Edited by Faded

Several firearms I'd recommend staying away from for now. All of them would confirm her worst fears and generally scare the heck out of the poor girl:

1.)

2.)

3.) Desert Eagle 50 Caliber

4.) Smith and Wesson 500 (50 Caliber Magnum) see also

5.) And make sure your wife doesn't do this:

(My apologies for language, it was all i could find.)

My recommendation: Start with a 22 caliber rifle and handgun, and your wife's first experience with guns should be a pleasant one. It really isn't absolutely necessary to move up from 22 cal, but if you do, make sure to educate her on how to handle the kick of the more powerful guns. Bracing the gun fully against the shoulder for rifles and shotguns, knowing how to hold a handgun and how to handle the recoil of a handgun.

Oh my...I just about lost it on that Desert Eagle video.

I believe that unless it's a hunting rifle or a duck-shooting shotgun, there is no other purpose for having a gun but to kill somebody.

There is this little thing called recreational shooting. Now if OP wants it for home defense, then his purpose would be to use it to kill someone else (purportedly, some folks buy them for fun and justify the expense in purchasing and practicing as self defense) so that would be accurate in such a case. However, I bought a old WW2 surplus rifle, I did not get it to hunt with (though I could do so with it if I so chose) or to kill humans with it (thought once again...) but to shoot at pieces of paper, distant landmarks and maybe the occasional clay pigeon (not thrown, placed) or can.

I wouldn't trust myself to use a gun competently for self defense (particularly considering it's a bolt action rifle, not exactly the best CQB weapon) so if there was an intruder it'd stay locked in the case... though I suppose I could always just use the pig-sticker on the end of it instead... :diablo:

Edited by Dravin
Had it pointed out to me that the OP has not stated why he wants a gun