Are you not worried too?

ehkape

Its amazing to see the huge interest in discussing Elder Packers talk. (Thousands of views say all there has to be said about it.)

The discussion so far has been about understanding and misunderstanding him and what we make of it.

What worries me about the whole situation is that nobody seems to care that his talk was edited afterwards.

Come on, he is the acting president of the quorum of the twelve. Surely his talk was inspired. It may even have been the word of God. We just sustained him and the others as Prophet, Seer and Revelator.

Why should there be the need to edit an inspired talk afterwards?

No, I'm really not that worried. I think you'd find that talks are edited quite routinely.

Why? you may ask.

Because sometimes they miss words, or may use words that don't clearly convey their intended meaning.

Because they're still imperfect men who sometimes make speaking errors or fumbles.

Because, while the message may be inspired, not every word is dictated to them by the Spirit.

General Conference talks get edited all the time. It's happened in the past and I'm sure it will continue in the future.

If anyone has ever written out a talk, given it, and then had to have it published knows that sometimes what you say in front of any audience is not always the intent you had. Further, there are times when to make it clearer, edits are appropriate.

So, no, I'm not worried, surprised, upset, discouraged, or dismayed to find out that Pres Packer edited his talk. I'm going to guess his talk from this Conference is not the only talk that was edited (see Funky's response and look up that video and talk online).

Doesn't bother me a bit. This is not the first time nor the last time a talk has been edited before being published.

Giving a talk by inspiration is one thing. But it is still man written. God didn't write every word that was given in the talk. How many times have you written, rewritten, read and reread a presentation and then afterwards said.."I should have said this?"

I know I have many times.

Edited by pam

Doesn't bother me a bit. This is not the first time nor the last time a talk has been edited before being published.

I don't think it's a big deal. You know what I think IS a big deal? That pumpkin pie recipe you sent me, Pam. That was freaking delicious. It turned out great.

Cream Cheese in pumpkin pie? Who knew?

my husband tells me it's very common in priesthood session. he used to say that long before this conference was even planned.

i am one of those that agreed with the edit and was very happy to see they had done it. i would be more worried had it not been edited.

as for the act of editing itself being worrisome, nope. if i'm gonna nit pick the church leadership on admin issues i've got bigger fish to fry than editing conference talks. but i don't think this is the best place to air my dirty laundry nor would it produce good fruits so i'll keep them to myself. :)

I don't think it's a big deal. You know what I think IS a big deal? That pumpkin pie recipe you sent me, Pam. That was freaking delicious. It turned out great.

pam?!?! i sent you a pumpkin pie recipe..... and you went behind my back and got one from pam too? and made her's instead? no wonder you're still single, you... you..... two timer..... ;)

My concern isn't that the talk was edited. Most of the talks are. There are several reasons, including the talk is written first and whomever is talking says things a little different than the written text. (this is a human thing and can happen to anybody including a GA)

My concern is faithful members being upset about the talk and the changes, but that's been discussed ad naseum so that's all I'm going to say. I see it as a faith issue which applies not to just that one talk but to other talks by GAs as well.

What worries me about the whole situation is that nobody seems to care that his talk was edited afterwards.

This particular thread aside, if you read any of the threads on this site that have existed since Conference, you'll see that there is plenty of discussion and caring going on.

I think focusing on a few changed words here or there is being petty and overlooking the importance of the doctrinal message Elder Packer shared.

Wouldn't that make it pumpkin cheesecake instead?

Its amazing to see the huge interest in discussing Elder Packers talk. (Thousands of views say all there has to be said about it.)

The discussion so far has been about understanding and misunderstanding him and what we make of it.

Come on, he is the acting president of the quorum of the twelve. Surely his talk was inspired. It may even have been the word of God. We just sustained him and the others as Prophet, Seer and Revelator.

Actually, I'm a little tired already of how much the editing has been discussed! It doesn't seem to be that big of an issue . . . . except for those that are looking for issues.

I understand your concerns, and yes, it's been discussed her ad nauseum. I'll just say that at least the edited version was an improvement.

Let's face it, Pres Packer is getting old, so is Pres Monson. When President Monson ad libs or goes off script he seems to be a little unfocused and rambles. Maybe Pres Packer went off script a little bit in his talk, I don't know. I think Packer's and Monson's days of giving GC talks are numbered. We went many years without hearing or even seeing Pres Benson at conference as he aged. We got spoiled with Hinckley, he remained very healthy and mentally sharp almost to the end of his life.

I understand your concerns, and yes, it's been discussed her ad nauseum. I'll just say that at least the edited version was an improvement.

Let's face it, Pres Packer is getting old, so is Pres Monson. When President Monson ad libs or goes off script he seems to be a little unfocused and rambles. Maybe Pres Packer went off script a little bit in his talk, I don't know. I think Packer's and Monson's days of giving GC talks are numbered. We went many years without hearing or even seeing Pres Benson at conference as he aged. We got spoiled with Hinckley, he remained very healthy and mentally sharp almost to the end of his life.

Reminds me of the heady days of Elder Haight. Towards the end of his life his vision was so poor he couldn't read the teleprompter, so he ad-libbed most of his addresses. Never failed to say something edifying, though.

Reminds me of the heady days of Elder Haight. Towards the end of his life his vision was so poor he couldn't read the teleprompter, so he ad-libbed most of his addresses. Never failed to say something edifying, though.

I once heard a quote on my mission (from the mission president? maybe a zone leader) that was attributed to him: "As my eyesight dims, my vision improves."

Giving a talk by inspiration is one thing. But it is still man written. God didn't write every word that was given in the talk. How many times have you written, rewritten, read and reread a presentation and then afterwards said.."I should have said this?"

This is the best and the most expressive point in the whole thread. :clap: I remember those days well. Something tells me pam doesn't need to edit very much if she makes points this well. :D

I think focusing on a few changed words here or there is being petty and overlooking the importance of the doctrinal message Elder Packer shared.

Second best point in this thread. I'm not sure why people are still stuck on semantics and their own personal opinions when the wording has been made clear and the official position has been reinforced. This horse has been beaten to the point where atomic fission is going to occur if we keep going. And we all know how bad that gets. :P

I guess I just haven't noticed this. Especially with President Monson. He seems just as alert to me today as he did 10 years ago. I hope I get to hear from him for another 10 years.