The potential legalization of polygamy in Canada

Guest mormonmusic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, during my recent excursion into Canada, some of the locals were talking about this possiblity. I believe it is mostly Muslim immigration that is driving this. Frankly, I think it has more legitimacy than same sex marriage does, and I am not sure why the latter is getting more attention in the U.S. section of the continent.

What man in their right mind would want to take on more than one wife when about 50% of us can't even keep one marriage together?

#1 cause of divorce. Financial issues. Having more bread winners in the family makes money less of a burden.

# 2 adultery men or women ( i believe in equality) having emotional/sexual attraction to multiple people (much more common then same sex attraction) cheat. They "have to" in a society that only recognizes 2 party marriages. In a culture that recognize this they can bring another spouse into the family, giving less incentive to stray.

I would bet that adultery is less common in polygamous unions (assuming you count other spouses as spouses) then in traditional marriages.

Please note the quotes around have to.

Muslims have been calling for Sh'ria law and parallel court systems in every country in which they've gained numerical significance. It's not just plural marriages but arranged marriages between 40 year old men and very young girls that they would want to see happen. I believe that all western countries should tighten up their lax immigration policies, and (dare I say it?) be especially restrictive on immigration and student visas from Muslim countries. The survival of our cultural identity is being threatened in no small manner.

Muslims have been calling for Sh'ria law and parallel court systems in every country in which they've gained numerical significance. It's not just plural marriages but arranged marriages between 40 year old men and very young girls that they would want to see happen. I believe that all western countries should tighten up their lax immigration policies, and (dare I say it?) be especially restrictive on immigration and student visas from Muslim countries. The survival of our cultural identity is being threatened in no small manner.

The survival of our country and culture depend more on the voice of the people - assuming they are literate. I fear more a government controlled by a political party than I fear the majority of the citizens.

The Traveler

Actually, during my recent excursion into Canada, some of the locals were talking about this possiblity. I believe it is mostly Muslim immigration that is driving this. Frankly, I think it has more legitimacy than same sex marriage does, and I am not sure why the latter is getting more attention in the U.S. section of the continent.

Actually the current legal battle doesn't have anything to do with Muslims at all, instead it involves members of an FLDS compound in BC called bountiful. They've pushed this every few years from what i can remember. In fact when ever i hear about multiple spouse marriages in Canada i really haven't heard much about the Muslims seeking them in overly vocal ways when compared to the FLDS up here.

This boat stays afloat doesn't it?

I would bet that adultery is less common in polygamous unions (assuming you count other spouses as spouses) then in traditional marriages.

This is probably accurate. But I think if you're the kind of person that has the heart to deceive and cheat on your wife (and family) — you will. Doesn't matter if you're in a polygamous marriage or not.

Actually the current legal battle doesn't have anything to do with Muslims at all, instead it involves members of an FLDS compound in BC called bountiful. They've pushed this every few years from what i can remember. In fact when ever i hear about multiple spouse marriages in Canada i really haven't heard much about the Muslims seeking them in overly vocal ways when compared to the FLDS up here.

So a breakaway group in schism to the LDS church? Usually these groups are already practicing what they hope will become legal, just the same way with gay marriage. It's really difficult to enforce those laws upon people willing to live in such an arrangement even without legal recognition. This was found to be true when Congress passed a law against polygamy, effectively controlling marriage; a trespass upon a domain exclusively controlled by the state and not the federal government. Trying to enforce it was nearly impossible.

I would also speculate that the left leaning media, even in Canada, is more piqued by quasi-Christian deviancies than those of Muslims. Though Muslims bury their "westernized" daughters alive, kill converts to Christianity, stone women for the "crime" of being raped, and murder anyone who insults their "prophet", they seem to get a pass in Western journalism. You could have 10,000 Muslims call for polygamy, but it's not interesting until Christians do it.

I really don't know why some people (even in our Church) seem to be so bothered about polygamists and polygamy in general. As long as they are happy, then great!

Within the LDS Church, it would seem that "Whatever goes as long as we're happy", is not really the way of the Lord. He has set guidelines and commandments that if followed, will bring us true happiness. As of here and now, the Lord does not condone polygamy. It was necessary at one time and is no longer necessary now. For mankind to sanction such, is not of His will, and so I can see how many people find the topic of polygamy taboo, upsetting and perhaps even evil.

Within the LDS Church, it would seem that "Whatever goes as long as we're happy", is not really the way of the Lord. He has set guidelines and commandments that if followed, will bring us true happiness. As of here and now, the Lord does not condone polygamy. It was necessary at one time and is no longer necessary now. For mankind to sanction such, is not of His will, and so I can see how many people find the topic of polygamy taboo, upsetting and perhaps even evil.

Hi Bini. We are talking about legalization here, not doctrine. We could debate all day long whether or not polygamy still doctrinal in the Church (even though it is not practiced). However, in a legal perspective I believe these people have the right to live as they wish as long as they are happy, no minors involved and both parts are in agreement (separation of Church and State? Yep, for me).

Hi Bini. We are talking about legalization here, not doctrine. We could debate all day long whether or not polygamy still doctrinal in the Church (even though it is not practiced). However, in a legal perspective I believe these people have the right to live as they wish as long as they are happy, no minors involved and both parts are in agreement (separation of Church and State? Yep, for me).

I'm with you on separating Church and State.

But you asked WHY people are so hung up on the issue of polygamy. I gave you reasons. Whether or not they are valid in your or my eyes is beside the point. Many LDS people will protest legalizing polygamy as it is not sanctioned by the Lord, therefore it goes against their beliefs. The same applies for other issues like homosexuality, etc etc.

ETA: Hello! I don't mean to sound so serious. Just adding note :]

But you asked WHY people are so hung up on the issue of polygamy. I gave you reasons. Whether or not they are valid in your or my eyes is beside the point. Many LDS people will protest legalizing polygamy as it is not sanctioned by the Lord, therefore it goes against their beliefs. The same applies for other issues like homosexuality, etc etc.

Yes Bini, I asked and I appreciate your response. :) My question was probably more out of amazement than seeking an answer (kind of rhetorical). And by the way, you do not sound "serious".

Edited by Suzie

You'll find a number of Christians though want there to be a thin line between law and doctrine. If it's not in line with doctrine then it's against god and should pretty much be against the law then. A vast number seem to want the country to run by biblical law rather than laws that might include those who either have another faith or no faith with no other reasoning than " our faith is right, the rest either live by our rules or are damned" I hear all too often " this country was founded as a christian country and by God the only way to run it is the way of the Christians, all who oppose us should burn or leave" Not saying this is the view of majority, but also not sure it's the view of the minority.

I really don't know why some people (even in our Church) seem to be so bothered about polygamists and polygamy in general. As long as they are happy, then great!

I hope to be given credit for my knowledge of the LDS faith as an outsider to it, because I do try to understand. As I'm told, the LDS faith believes in ongoing revelation. The practice of plural marriage was correct during the early days, but is prohibited now because it was initiated by revelation and done away with by revelation as well. So it wasn't wrong at the time, but it is wrong today because the Lord willed the practice to expire. I can hold Mormons to no higher standard than that which they hold themselves to, and therefore I can come down harshly upon these breakaway groups, because although they claim to have originated from the LDS tradition, they are in stark rebellion against the edict of God. And I don't care a whit whether or not they are happy.

Moreover, the reason I can have sympathy with the LDS on this point is because Catholics also believe that the Church is the vessel of divine and ongoing revelation. When Protestants come at Catholics (and Mormons) with, "show me in the Bible", I have to shake my head in disappointment.

God doesn't speak through inanimate objects.