Engagement/wedding advice

beefche

You want to look at more than just their cost. Ask about their wedding packages. Most will have a couple options (two photographers, 8 hours, $X; one photographer, 5 hours, $Y, for example). Ask if they have discounted rates for not shooting the actual wedding, but just the reception (since I assume -- based on geography -- those two events will be separate). Also consider whether you want the same photographer to do your engagements, bridals, and wedding photos (if you'll be getting all three), or different photographers. Typically, each of those three are included in an overall wedding package.

Those all kind-of fall under cost, but it's more than just a black and white question.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, people. When looking for a photographer, what questions should I ask him/her? I know I will need to look at some portfolio pics, but besides cost, what are some pertinent questions?

Experience. Do they how to use a camera, or are you just as good with a friend snapping them with a disposable?

I actually had my little sister do the engagement photos.

Thank you all for the suggestions and thoughts. I really do appreciate it. Keep the advice coming!

You've probably already considered this, but I'll share it anyway.

We were having a lesson on the Word of Wisdom at Church and the instructor asked what can we do to help ourselves live the Word of Wisdom. My uncle (who's something of a Southern good ol' boy) says, "well first off, don't marry yourself a woman who'll drive you to drink!"

I'm not saying anything about you or your intended..... but if the shoe fits...... :P

You've probably already considered this, but I'll share it anyway.

We were having a lesson on the Word of Wisdom at Church and the instructor asked what can we do to help ourselves live the Word of Wisdom. My uncle (who's something of a Southern good ol' boy) says, "well first off, don't marry yourself a woman who'll drive you to drink!"

I'm not saying anything about you or your intended..... but if the shoe fits...... :P

Too late....Dravin drives me to drink Mt Dew.

Hey! So what if I need artificial stimulation! Our relationship works...he feeds my need for stimulation and I give him this:

Posted Image

I'm gonna wear that and have leash in hand for our honeymoon.....

I. MUST. RESIST. TEMPTATION. :lol:

Beefche,

If you're gonna make your own invitations, or want to put them together, a really great idea is to go to a printer press where they can do the lettering and wording printing for you.. and you can get the paper and card stock from Card Stock, Vellum Paper, Envelopes, Metallic Cardstock, Invitation Cards   Specialty Wedding Stationery - Paperandmore.com It's a lot cheaper and it looks way nice.

I've decided to do this since I like doing crafty stuff, and it will save money :).

Anyone in the I-15 corridor know of any chapels with picnic areas that aren't to far off I-15?

Edit: I'm thinking somewhere between Bountiful Area to Provo Area.

There are actually quite a few. I know of one in Sandy and one in Bluffdale in particular. I'll get the addresses for you. The one in Sandy is not far from I-15.

There are actually quite a few. I know of one in Sandy and one in Bluffdale in particular. I'll get the addresses for you. The one in Sandy is not far from I-15.

Thanks. I couldn't think of any way to figure them out short of asking people or resorting to Google Maps (:eek:).

Ok, people. When looking for a photographer, what questions should I ask him/her? I know I will need to look at some portfolio pics, but besides cost, what are some pertinent questions?

Make sure you ask if you get copyright permissions or the original files on a CD. Some photographers want to protect their "intellectual property" and won't give the original files on a CD. You have to order any copies from them, therefore your cost goes up.

I would also ask if they do any photoshop touch ups or if its just the raw pic that you get. Photoshop touch ups are highly recommended! :)

Also, I wouldn't recommend the disposable camera on tables thing. We did that with my sisters wedding and ended up with lots of really awful pics and a number of cameras with just 1 or 2 pics on them. It wasn't worth the money to me.

At the reception, on no account give the guests a glass of wine before they have greeted the bride and groom. I know it's supposed to be traditional but it's asking for trouble. You can bet your last cent that some clumsy twit will spill it all over the bride's dress.

Edited by Jamie123

At the reception, on no account give the guests a glass of wine before they have greeted the bride and groom. I know it's supposed to be traditional but it's asking for trouble. You can bet your last cent that some clumsy twit will spill it all over the bride's dress.

I'm thinking that won't be a concern. :D

I would also ask if they do any photoshop touch ups or if its just the raw pic that you get. Photoshop touch ups are highly recommended! :)

I've never heard of any self-respecting wedding photographer that doesn't edit their images prior to printing or giving them to clients.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the disposable camera on tables thing. We did that with my sisters wedding and ended up with lots of really awful pics and a number of cameras with just 1 or 2 pics on them. It wasn't worth the money to me.

I actually really agree with this. My opinion is that it will end up being a waste of money, because they'll either get used inappropriately, or not at all.

Oh lookie! Lots of cool stuff:

Gym decoration for reception « Weddingbee Boards

Here's a photo of a church gym wedding reception that we recently attended. They covered the stage with organza fabric but that can be a bit pricey. But they did have their cake table in the middle which I thought was clever. It drew your eye to the center of the room. Your focus was not on the gym walls or ceiling. I would suggest covering the chairs. Another friend of mine had her wedding at different church in a gym. She had really low lighting and candles (she had to use flameless). You didn't notice the gym walls. Hers was a winterwonderland theme so she got a great deal on string lights.

Posted Image

Ideas for Wedding Gym Decorations | eHow.com

How to Decorate a Gym for a Wedding | eHow.com

How to Transform a Gym Into a Dream Wedding Hall | eHow.com