New facility will house 48 wards

pam

New church facility will house 48 LDS wards - ksl.com

PROVO —- A new meetinghouse planned for Provo will house 48 wards and four stakes of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The typical meetinghouse in Utah generally houses from one to three wards.

It will house 48 wards, but only has one chapel? How does that work?

I might be wrong, but like other Christian dominations, I think this new building will be super huge and will be more like attending a BYU football game than an intimate place to fellowship. I hope I am wrong.

I might be wrong, but like other Christian dominations, I think this new building will be super huge and will be more like attending a BYU football game than an intimate place to fellowship. I hope I am wrong.

Whereas the chapel seats 500, and with overflow setting up to a maximum capacity of 1600 (stake size), I'm going to guess that you're wrong. But I'm with you, that's a good thing.

Thanks. That does provide more information, but it leaves me even more confused. I don't understand what's wrong with stake conferences held on campus. I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out why a facility on such a large scale as this is needed for the purpose of holding stake conference eight times a year. It seems wasteful to me.

Whereas the chapel seats 500, and with overflow setting up to a maximum capacity of 1600 (stake size), I'm going to guess that you're wrong. But I'm with you, that's a good thing.

MOE:

You might be right also. In time, I guess, we will see. Where I live many non-LDS Christain dominations are turning to super large entertainment type churches. Maybe I am old fashion, but i like small and intimate. But having larger churches can help singles meet eachother. So, I guess with time we will find out.

Thanks. That does provide more information, but it leaves me even more confused. I don't understand what's wrong with stake conferences held on campus. I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out why a facility on such a large scale as this is needed for the purpose of holding stake conference eight times a year. It seems wasteful to me.

I've never known the church to be frivolous with tithing money and build buildings that they did not find necessary. I'm sure much thought and inspiration went into this.

One good thing I see with this is a place to have offices for all the Stake Presidents, Bishops, membership clerks etc. Right now all of them share offices with university professors etc. This can put them all in one place instead of students having to go to various locations on campus to meet with a Bishop or a Stake President.

Edited by pam

I've never known the church to be frivolous with tithing money and build buildings that they did not find necessary. I'm sure much thought and inspiration went into this.

If there's one thing the Church takes very seriously, it's money. ;)

They undoubtedly put a lot of thought into this, but they have also been known to experiment. If a thing works, they may do it again. If it doesn't work, then they move on to a different idea.

Up in Ogden, for their stake building they have a double chapel. one one each end. They have 3 wards meet on each end. I would think this building would still have wards in it. But it does look like its main function is a new super Stake center to hold stake conference.

could be part of the changes with how YSA wards are changing.