Book of Mormon Musical Response

Tyler90AZ

I dunno... this just kind of rubs me the wrong way in a "thou dost protest too much" kind of way, I guess. (he kept offering example after example after example... it made me feel a bit uncomfortable)

Sure, LDS charities do a lot of good in the world! Doesn't mean there aren't certainly many religious people (LDS or otherwise) who are very nieve about what the rest of the world goes through. How many of us, when going through hard times, have had someone who's had it pretty easy say "You just need to have more faith!" when we went to them for help? And they genuinely think they are being helpful! I think this is what this musical is touching on.

And it's not that faith can't provide help and hope for people in dire situations, but sometimes the desperate need of bread drowns out all considerations, and the gospel message falls on deaf ears. We need to remember that sometimes temporal needs need to be met first, before spiritual needs can be addressed.

I don't know how many times I've heard many LDS brag about how little they know about the world around them. "I don't watch or read the news because it removes the spirit from me" I can bring up major happenings around the world and yet they look at me like I'm speaking a different language. I've also found that while the church is very good at doing service projects and charity around the world, many members are oblivious as to what they are until they either need to defend the church and start looking things up or want to brag about how great the church is and decide to look it up. Otherwise they contribute money and just are able to say " Well we do so many great things around the world" This isn't to say it's a majority or even a bad thing, just common. I have to admit reading the previews and hearing somethings from the creators and such and chuckled because it fit with members i knew.

I don't know how many times I've heard many LDS brag about how little they know about the world around them. "I don't watch or read the news because it removes the spirit from me" I can bring up major happenings around the world and yet they look at me like I'm speaking a different language. I've also found that while the church is very good at doing service projects and charity around the world, many members are oblivious as to what they are until they either need to defend the church and start looking things up or want to brag about how great the church is and decide to look it up. Otherwise they contribute money and just are able to say " Well we do so many great things around the world" This isn't to say it's a majority or even a bad thing, just common. I have to admit reading the previews and hearing somethings from the creators and such and chuckled because it fit with members i knew.

So... your saying that because me, as an LDS person, does not agree with the premise and will not watch the show I'm sticking my head in the sand and choosing to remain naive about the world around me? I'm having difficulty seeing how one connects with the other.

So... your saying that because me, as an LDS person, does not agree with the premise and will not watch the show I'm sticking my head in the sand and choosing to remain naive about the world around me? I'm having difficulty seeing how one connects with the other.

I'm not sure how you got that from his post?? I thought he was saying that the Mormon characters in the musical reminded him of Mormon people he knows in real life. Not that Mormons who don't want to watch the musical are only those who fit that description.

I'm not sure how you got that from his post?? I thought he was saying that the Mormon characters in the musical reminded him of Mormon people he knows in real life. Not that Mormons who don't want to watch the musical are only those who fit that description.

Meh, it's med time. I'm prone to posting a whole lot of weird stuff. I should step away from the computer before I hurt myself.

I think it's great that he's bringing to light things that the Church actually has been doing. However, I think that Mormons -- generally speaking -- are far too eager to show their righteous indignation, and I think this is one example.

I'm certainly not going to go out of my way to try to see the show, but given the opportunity, I wouldn't object at all.

Edited by Wingnut
improper to/too/two usage -- d'oh!

I thought it was a great point that the Church is not so naive about the tragic circumstances so many people in Africa face, and I really enjoyed hearing about all the ways the Church has helped alleviate the suffering of so many. I already knew about the wheelchairs, but I did not know about the rest of it. I suspect that missionaries at the MTC, prior to landing in Africa, are told about these endeavors, so it makes sense that they are not as naive as the musical presumes.

One thing that Otterson, and many Mormons I've seen comment angrily about the musical, seems to have missed that was mentioned in the countless reviews I've read is how the musical, while completely irreverent, ultimately celebrates the Mormon faith. I can understand how that sounds like nonsense to Mormons themselves, given how the show's approach (language, subject matter, etc.) clearly violates the Church's standards. Yet, I read the same thing in almost every single review. People actually came away seeing the Church in a better light. These included reviews by people who have been very critical of the Church, particularly because of its role in the passing of Prop 8.

I have no idea if the show does, indeed, actually celebrate Mormonism. What I'm saying is that if someone is going to criticize it using information gleaned from the reviews, as Otterson does, then that point should be acknowledged.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

One thing that Otterson, and many Mormons I've seen comment angrily about the musical, seems to have missed that was mentioned in the countless reviews I've read is how the musical, while completely irreverent, ultimately celebrates the Mormon faith.

I think a lot of people* hear that it's produced by the South Park guys, and that's all they* hear, so they* assume it's complete trash.

*"people" and "they" refer to Church members.

I think a lot of people* hear that it's produced by the South Park guys, and that's all they* hear, so they* assume it's complete trash.

*"people" and "they" refer to Church members.

That's not a wrong assumption considering their history. A history filled with irreverence toward the church. Why would any Latter-day Saint want to give these guys a buck? They have clearly mocked us in the past and I am sure they are now. I don't buy that they did it to celebrate Mormonism.

That's not a wrong assumption considering their history. A history filled with irreverence toward the church. Why would any Latter-day Saint want to give these guys a buck? They have clearly mocked us in the past and I am sure they are now. I don't buy that they did it to celebrate Mormonism.

Case in point. Thank you for proving me right.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone have treated Mormonism far better then they've treated any other religion.

Irreverent? Yes

Insulting? Not so much

The Book of Mormon, the Broadway musical by the creators of South Park, isn't anti-Mormon, it's anti-stupidity. (VIDEO) - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine

Trey Parker & Matt Stone - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 03/10/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

What about apathy? How evil can I be if I just don't care about the show at all?

Let's face it, the righteous followers of God have always been in the minority. Satan has a pretty strong hold on the world right now, so stuff like this is no surprise to me at all. I don't really expect it to go away either.

Another point is that truth divides as a two-edged sword. The Bible thus describes the word of God in several places. It will unite many, and divide many. The price one pays for public acceptance and popularity can be very steep very fast. Would we rather be accepted by the world, or accepted by God? We can't have both....

"Dumb, dumb, dumb" played through out their whole Mormon South Park episode. They were clearly trying to insult Mormons. If you don't think it's insulting, that's fine it's subjective. However, that was clearly their attempt.

Why would you give money to people that attempt to mock you? That's like Joseph Smith giving money to the people who tarred and feathered him, then replying "Thank you, that was funny."

"Dumb, dumb, dumb" played through out their whole Mormon South Park episode. They were clearly trying to insult Mormons. If you don't think it's insulting, that's fine it's subjective. However, that was clearly their attempt.

Why would you give money to people that attempt to mock you? That's like Joseph Smith giving money to the people who tarred and feathered him, then replying "Thank you, that was funny."

South Park and its creators mock everyone... If people watch the shows and find them funny, then suddenly take offense because show targets their particular brand of 'sacred.' after laughing at all the other mockings. Well then they are being a hypocrite

South Park and its creators mock everyone... If people watch the shows and find them funny, then suddenly take offense because show targets their particular brand of 'sacred.' after laughing at all the other mockings. Well then they are being a hypocrite

That's exactly right.

I saw the mormon episode on youtube and at first I thought it was pretty unkind ("dum, dum, dumb") but THEN I saw how they treated Catholicism and other religions -- and THEN I thought - Wow. They were actually very kind to Mormonism. I mean, that closing comment by Gary was awesome (minus the expletive) - and to get Cartman's approbation was flat-out pandering to the LDS community!

HiJolly

Posted Image

Posted Image

Honestly, if someone isn't offended by it, or is offended by it, it is probably useless to try to argue with them over the matter. People are offended by what they are offended by, you have people in another thread pondering how crap is any better than a certain expletive (I'm assuming that means they find crap offensive, not that they find the expletive in question inoffensive). People have different ideas of what is offensive, I find polygamy jokes funny (when they're jokes and not honest ignorance), some people find them offensive, even coming from members.

That said, if you (generic you) feel their South Park treatment of Mormons is offensive or unfunny, then the expectation that their play will be as well isn't unreasonable. Comparing it to paying people who literally tarred and feathered you and tried to kill you is rather hyperbolic though. A better comparison would be like paying someone for a comedy roast when you don't find comedy roasts funny but offensive.

Edit: For the record my official stance on the play is, "Meh."

Edited by Dravin

Honestly, if someone isn't offended by it, or is offended by it, it is probably useless to try to argue with them over the matter. People are offended by what they are offended by, you have people in another thread pondering how crap is any better than a certain expletive (I'm assuming that means they find crap offensive, not that they find the expletive in question inoffensive). People have different ideas of what is offensive, I find polygamy jokes funny (when they're jokes and not honest ignorance), some people find them offensive, even coming from members.

That said, if you (generic you) feel their South Park treatment of Mormons is offensive or unfunny, then the expectation that their play will be as well isn't unreasonable. Comparing it to paying people who literally tarred and feathered you and tried to kill you is rather hyperbolic though. A better comparison would be like paying someone for a comedy roast when you don't find comedy roasts funny but offensive.

Edit: For the record my official stance on the play is, "Meh."

South Park creators are mocking our beliefs, in other words stomping on them or killing them. Although they won't kill anybody's faith, I hope. they are still stomping all over our beliefs. We are suppose to love God above all others. With that in mind I don't see it that hyperbolic to compare it to the Joseph Smith situation. However, that is subjective.