Your list of things that should be free..

Bini

Whoa.. This thread exploded!

So I'm gathering that the overal consensus, is that the Atonement is not free, is that what everyone had finally decided on? :D

OK.. not to get back into THAT discussion again.. :D Yes, chocolate, ice-cream, pizza and pretty much all food in general should be free! Free to eat as much as you want (without judgment) and free without sugars, fats and of course the dreaded caloric count. ;)

On a more serious note.. I can't think of anything that should be free that isn't already free in some form or another.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.. not to get back into THAT discussion again.. Yes, chocolate, ice-cream, pizza and pretty much all food in general should be free! Free to eat as much as you want (without judgment) and free without sugars, fats and of course the dreaded caloric count.

They have that, it's called cardboard. Sometimes they sprinkle flavored powders on it and call it 'rice cakes'.

Hey! I like rice cakes! They don't taste like cardboard! Booooo!

Actually I don't mind them myself, the only problem is they work my sweet (or savory) tooth up without having any substance. So I end up eating more of them and negate the airy calorie lightness of them.

Hey! I like rice cakes! They don't taste like cardboard! Booooo!

oh... my... word, your pregnancy has killed your taste buds.

So I'm gathering that the overal consensus, is that the Atonement is not free, is that what everyone had finally decided on?

My understanding is that the the Atonement was paid for a price, however it is being given to each one of us without price. Gaining Exaltation entails a broken heart and a contrite spirit, which is also laying and freely giving our will to our Father in Heaven. That is not free, but we would not be able to do that without the Atonements being freely given to us in the first place.

But I'm sure on this forum, someone will find something wrong with my thoughts on the matter. ^_^

But I'm sure on this forum, someone will find something wrong with my thoughts on the matter.

I found something wrong with your thoughts. The problem I'm having is that I actually agree with you. :)

You agree that Bini's taste-buds have been ruined by pregnancy? I thought women stuck together?

Nooooo not the taste bud thing. Yet they could have been. :P

Do you kinow that I've never heard of this before?

Travelers sentiment reminds me very much of Hugh Nibley's Approaching Zion. He mentions it twice in this essay and then again in this one.

It was the practice in Sodom and Gomorrah, we are told, to rob all strangers of their money and then let them starve to death because they could not buy food; and the cities' inhabitants would put nets over their trees so that the birds would have no free lunch on their fruit.

The Bible tells us that the Jordan depression was a veritable paradise when Abraham first visited it, before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 13:10). It was not surprising that "the men of Sodom were the wealthy men of prosperity, on account of the good and fruitful land whereon they dwelt. For every need which the world requires, they obtained therefrom. . . . But they did not trust in the shadow of their Creator, but [they trusted] in the multitude of their wealth, for wealth thrusts aside its owners from the fear of Heaven."29 Rabbi Eliezer seems to be quoting the same source as Samuel the Lamanite. "The men of Sodom had no consideration for the honour of their Owner by (not) distributing food to the wayfarer and the stranger."30 The same thing is described in Deuteronomy and the Book of Mormon. "They [even] fenced in all their trees on top above their fruit so that they should not be seized; [not] even by the bird of heaven."31 The law of Moses forbade doing these mean things to the olives, the wheat, and other crops, but they did them. These were the crimes of Sodom and Gomorrah. At the time of Abraham, the people elected leaders "of falsehood and wickedness, who mocked justice and equity and committed evil deeds."32 This isn't something invented by a Jewish doctor of the thirteenth century. These are contemporary records that tell us that the wicked oppressed the weak and gave power to the strong. Inside the city was tyranny and the receiving of bribes. Everyday, without fail, they plundered each others' goods. The son cursed his father in the streets, the slave his master. They put an end to the offerings and entered into conspiracy.33 This sounds like the Book of Mormon, though it was discovered long after the Book of Mormon. All manner of wickedness is described. But we don't need to go into this sad story here.

It's not surprising, the records tell, that travelers and birds alike learned to avoid the rich cities of the plain, while the poor emigrated to other parts.34 "If a stranger merchant passed through their territory, he was besieged by them all, big and little alike, and robbed of whatever he possessed."35 As the Amarna letters show us, this was a world in which every man was for himself.36 What a terrible state of things. Being grossly materialistic, they rated the hardware high above the software.37

A famous quotation recurs a numbers of times: "If a man was killed working on the tower, he was ignored. But if a brick fell they sat down and wept. Abraham, seeing them, cursed them in the name of his God" for doing this sort of thing:38 "Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom" (Ezekiel 16:49).

These should not be free but we should all pay our fair share so we will never have to worry about gaining access to them, so they will feel free, they will always be there and you will know you will always have access to them:

1. Healthcare (universal)

2. Water

3. Electricity

4. Housing

5. Education

6. Communications (Internet/TV/Cable/satellite/Telephone/Cell) end the monopolies.

And finally the big one - VOTING. unfortunately some states are making up more and more hoops for people to jump through to keep the poor, old, minorities, and women from voting. This is very wrong - Voting should always be free and open.

These should not be free but we should all pay our fair share so we will never have to worry about gaining access to them, so they will feel free, they will always be there and you will know you will always have access to them:

1. Healthcare (universal)

2. Water

3. Electricity

4. Housing

5. Education

6. Communications (Internet/TV/Cable/satellite/Telephone/Cell) end the monopolies.

And finally the big one - VOTING. unfortunately some states are making up more and more hoops for people to jump through to keep the poor, old, minorities, and women from voting. This is very wrong - Voting should always be free and open.

I agree with Thomas Jefferson - only taxpayers should vote. Those without skin in the game should not have a say about what to do about things they either will not or cannot contribute to. This may seem strange but I also believe that paying taxes should be optional or voluntary. Thus being two classes of citizens - those that are vested in their country and those that are not.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

No one seems to know what the sin of Gomorrah was? According to non biblical sources the sin of Gomorrah was the attempt to charge or tax the population for those things that G-d had given to be used by all for “free”.

I find it rather interesting that we do not seem to be able among ourselves to determine what G-d has given to mankind for free.

At one point of my life I walked away from “civilization” into south west desert wilderness of the USA and there for 40 days I lived on only that which G-d gave me. He gave me food, water and a place of shelter according to my needs - it was all free.

It appears to me that all things of G-d are free and that it is the things of man cost money. In fact I think that money is an invention or creation of man.

The Traveler

well the only two things one can rest assured of in life is taxes and death :P