Osama bin Laden is dead

marshac

I heard about this as I was going into work this morning. One thing that one report mentioned is that this sends a message that when the US decides they will go after someone they will get that someone eventually. I am guessing that many in Al Qeada perhaps even Bin Laden thought that he would never be found especially with how his residence was in plain sight. Well, now they know they were wrong and as another report indicated they are more likely going to be worried that we know where other important leaders and places are and go after them.

CNN states he was buried at sea in accordance with Muslim law that one must be buried within 24 hours.

I don't believe that is all there was to why he was buried at sea. Everything about this operation sounds very well planned. Since the body is now gone no one can build a shrine and say Bin Ladin's body is there. There is no where for people who liked Bin Laden to go and visit his grave.

Because there as no visual confirmation that Bin Ladin as actually dead (such as a body broadcasted on CNN, for example), do you think everyone will claim it's all a hoax and that he is still alive? Taking his place with Elvis?

It will not surprise me if people try to say Bin Ladin is still alive. I doubt the US would say he was dead if they had not conducted a DNA test and confirmed it was him. I don't believe it will matter too much if people say he is alive, those in Al Qeada know and will be worried about who in their organization will be next.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that is all there was to why he was buried at sea. Everything about this operation sounds very well planned. Since the body is now gone no one can build a shrine and say Bin Ladin's body is there. There is no where for people who liked Bin Laden to go and visit his grave.

According to an article I just read, finding a country that would have allowed him to be buried there would have been difficult. Therefore the reason for burial at sea.

According to an article I just read, finding a country that would have allowed him to be buried there would have been difficult. Therefore the reason for burial at sea.

I wasn't trying to dismiss what officials were saying and no doubt it would have been difficult to find a country to accept his body. But it would not surprise me if there were additional reasons for the burial at sea.

How'd they get a DNA match within 24 hours?

As much as I'd like to cheer and jump up and down, the videos of people cheering in New York looked exactly like the people in the ME cheering after 9/11.

Some the news reports I heard indicated that for years the US government has been obtaining DNA samples from Bin Ladins relatives so that they could make a match when they did get him.

Apparently there are photographs. They just haven't been released yet. The appropriate time and method for releasing them is still being determined (I'm not sure why there's a delay at all). But photos were taken for the express purpose of avoiding conspiracy theories.

Conspiracy theories will happen, though, with or without just reason.

I just thought it took like a week or something to get back DNA results. That might just be normal people though.

I am not sure on how fast it can be done. Of course they could have taken the sample and then do the burial at sea anyway and then confirm later if they can't do the test so quickly.

I got the impression from a news report that they could do it quickly but I may have misunderstood.

I just thought it took like a week or something to get back DNA results. That might just be normal people though.

Obviously you're out of the loop. If you'd ever watched a crime drama, you would know that DNA results are almost instantaneous -- a few hours at the most.

I read somewhere he was killed a week ago and because of the DNA test, Obama released the information yesterday.

I read somewhere he was killed a week ago and because of the DNA test, Obama released the information yesterday.

That would make sense, except that the statements made by the President indicated that the attack was carried out yesterday.

Call me crazy, but I actually have really mixed feelings about this. And I'm not comfortable celebrating the violent death of another human.

My wife told me the news last night while I was laying down with my sick daughter, trying to cool down the room and keep her head elevated so that she could breathe well enough to stop coughing and get a good night's sleep. Now, I can't help but wonder if we'd be this happy about his death if the media had ever played clips showing him playing with his grandchildren, or propping his own child to a position in which he could sleep.

Say what you will about whether or not he ever would have done such a thing, but the point still stands: the man was a human being and, by our doctrine, a fellow son of God. His death is a tragedy.

Even more tragic, however, is the fact that the necessity of his death existed (yes, I am admitting that it needed to be done). So for me, the victory is bittersweet--a tragic end to a tragedy of human existence.

On a happier note, many heartfelt thanks to those men and women who take on these challenges. Their work is precisely why I can let my sick daughter become my only care in the world--even when such big and important news is taking place. For that, I cannot thank them enough.

I experienced a similar sense of cognitive dissonance after the attacks of 9/11. I was patriotic, I was indignant, and I was fearful, just as most of the rest of America was. Yet in the hours and days that followed, I couldn't completely latch onto the idea of war or revenge. Getting revenge made us no better than our attackers. And it would soothe an immediate wound, but wouldn't solve a greater problem. But I wanted it. The terrorists deserved it. But I couldn't shake the idea that I shouldn't be feeling that way about my brothers and sisters.

Today I'm also torn. I'm glad that the terrorist organization has taken a huge hit, and it is definitely an historic time. There's no doubt about that. But someone, somewhere, is hurting for the loss. And I can't help but think that Heavenly Father might be a little sad by how happy so many are over the loss of one of His children.

Proverbs 24:

17Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth:

18Lest the Lord see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him

The celebrating in the street disturbs me. Can I understand it? Sure. But I also remember how it felt to see some people in the ME celebrating in the streets when the Towers fell. To them, America was the "evil enemy"; to us, Osama was the "evil enemy". The scenes of tragedy, coupled with the scenes of people in the ME celebrating it, created a lot of tension and anger towards those of ME descent here in the States. I imagine Americans living in ME countries are now feeling that same tension (or a hightened sense of that tension) now, because of this death and the footage of us "celebrating" it. We're not all that different from eachother, it seems.

Because there as no visual confirmation that Bin Ladin as actually dead (such as a body broadcasted on CNN, for example), do you think everyone will claim it's all a hoax and that he is still alive? Taking his place with Elvis?

Yup! They are already claiming exactly that. :(

Edited by applepansy

Well, there was a DNA test, but they did that with Princess Anastasia and my mom is still in denial about that...

The thug used one of his wives as a human shield.

White House: Osama Bin Laden Used Wife As Human Shield | TPMDC

It's all a sad story but justice must be carried out and a good job the U.S. did by getting their man. Also keep in mind the tricky and dangerous country of Pakistan. An excellent job and we all should be happy justice has prevailed.

I was wondering which of the men had done that. How disgusting.

I agree with MOE. A necessary tragic ending to an unnecessary tragedy.

This is pretty sad, if you ask me. Glad that he is no longer able to kill, very glad, but there are mixed emotions for the "Human Shield" wife and children that might grow up know what their dad did. I do hope that the children can somehow be taught to be better, though who knows what will become of them.....

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Yes, I am glad we got rid of someone who was doing harm.

However, did he know right from wrong? He grew up believing to kill, and that's what his life was devoted. He was brainwashed into it, just like we are into our church. He probably chose to stick with his comfortable path because he was only use to killing.

Celebrating and acting as if it's the New Year isn't really the best thing to do. We all know there will be others out there who want to kill us as well.