Asking for a calling?

needingadvice

Is it wrong to ask for a calling? I was inactive for almost 1.5 years, then went back last August. Got my TR back in January and moved in February. My husband is totally inactive, and I want to get to know people in the ward. I WANT TO SERVE! I have the time for a calling too. My bishop may think I can't handle a calling since I have a daughter with autism and DH is inactive and abusive, BUT, I really need one. So can I ask for one or is that totally impolite? Should I just keep praying for one?

It is so okay to ask for a calling. It might take a little while to pray for the right one, but you can ask for one, and be patient, you might not get called right away...but you can volunteer to sub in primary or something like that until your calling comes. :)

No, it is not wrong to ask for a calling.

When I joined the church, I was a YSA at a family ward. I was there for 3 years and never received a calling. I finally grew tired and asked for one, three months before I graduated and moved wards, they gave me one.

It is not good to always sit and wait around for a calling. Showing the motivation to ask for one is great, and it can also show the Bishop that you're really wanting to get involved with the members and the church as a whole.

Asking for a specific calling, now that is different. But asking for just A calling, that's perfectly fine.

When asking for a calling, is it wrong to be specific?

Agreeing with JudoMinja here... While not necessarily wrong it is considered better to let the Lord choose... So while it might be helpful to prod the servant of God into asking, when they do let the answer come as it might

Guest saintish

most bishops strive to extend a calling to all members, i suppose in some larger wards that might be impossible without creating some weird callings.

When asking for a calling, is it wrong to be specific?

I sure hope not. I've been crying for years now that I want to serve in the primary (ok, crying = whining/pleading/bribing). So far, the Lord has called me to SS, RS, YW, and a stake calling. With a couple of callings, I asked, "Are you SURE this is the right calling? Shouldn't it be for a primary chorister or teacher???" The one calling me smiled (it could have been rolling of the eyes, but I interpreted it as smiling) and said, "No, this is the right calling."

Just be careful what you say out loud. Years ago my mom made a comment to our Bishop in passing that she would never want to be the gospel doctrine teacher. Two months later she was called to it. :)

I don't think there's ever a problem with expressing interest in wanting to serve. As for asking or lobbying for a specific calling, it's something that I wouldn't do but I know it's been done and in some cases, they've gotten what they wanted. I know that's not the way it's supposed to be done but nonetheless, it's worked for some people.

I sure hope not. I've been crying for years now that I want to serve in the primary (ok, crying = whining/pleading/bribing). So far, the Lord has called me to SS, RS, YW, and a stake calling. With a couple of callings, I asked, "Are you SURE this is the right calling? Shouldn't it be for a primary chorister or teacher???" The one calling me smiled (it could have been rolling of the eyes, but I interpreted it as smiling) and said, "No, this is the right calling."

Just watch, I'll be called to Primary.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jackymark001
Hidden

Request immediately that you be placed on that company's "Do not call list". Reputable telemarketing companies will honor your request and not call you again. Ask for the unique confirmation number that you were placed on the "Do Not Call List." - Some companies do not have a unique confirmation number. In that case, ask to be sent a copy of their Do Not Call procedures. Typically, a manager has to request that from corporate -- your number is often automatically removed from the list and purged from any existing calling lists, rather than having to wait 30 days.