BYU Dancer Counciled For Showing Too Much Skin On SYTYCD!

Carl62

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas says his costume almost cost him his status as a student at BYU because he was told it broke the schools modesty policy. But Thomas says covering more of his body would compromise his art form and take away from his dance.

"It was an amazing experience for sure, the judges absolutely loved it,” Thomas tells FOX 13. "In no way was my solo supposed to be sexual or lewd or anything like that."

You wears skimpy and it's not suppose to be sexual. Yea, I think that this person needs to be talked to.

Thoughts?!

I think if you're going to be a student at BYU, you should recognize that you are a de facto representative of the university and its sponsoring organization and comport yourself as such.

Why would a BYU student want to go on HBO's "Real Life" or dance in the almost-nude? Perhaps a better way to ask is: Why would someone who goes on HBO's "Real Life" or dances in the almost-nude want to be a BYU student?

Guest saintish

You wears skimpy and it's not suppose to be sexual. Yea, I think that this person needs to be talked to.

what about nude art? a bare human body dosent have to be sexual.

I think BYU is overreacting, I'm sure both the swim teams and crosscounty team both wear clothes that are just as skimpy.

what about nude art? a bare human body dosent have to be sexual.

I think BYU is overreacting, I'm sure both the swim teams and crosscounty team both wear clothes that are just as skimpy.

I believe it's a matter of purpose. I'm also not sure about the overreacting. It looks like they gave him a talking to but not much more than that.

Guest saintish

I don't doubt that a school that prides itself on modesty was a little embarassed by this but i don't think he broke any rules that he needed "counseling" for.

Yeah I would be hard pressed to call it an overreaction... BYU has a code of conduct... If you disagree with the code and standard then choose to go elsewhere. If you choose to agree to the standard then you should expect something to happen if you push or break the code and standard. If nothing does then the code is meaningless. The fact that all they have appeared to have done is to talk to him about it is hardly an overreaction.

Okay, I actually watched the story. I have to say that while I'm not a fan of this type of show, I occasionally am put in situations where I glance at the TV while they are on. My first impression is that while men wearing tiny shorts during dance performances is sometimes justified, most male dancers I have seen are generally able to demonstrate their artistic abilities while wearing clothing which covers their bodies sufficiently enough to not get such a reaction for it. I'm guessing that other male dancers on the show who don't attend a school with an honor code likely were wearing more clothing than he did, and they were able to convey their artistic abilities just fine. Another impression I got is that this student is the one who went public with what happened, and BYU's reaction to his performance was not nearly as horrified or horrible as he claims it was. He's doing a bit of grandstanding, and I ask myself why. My experience with people who chafe at rules they agreed to is that they enjoy the benefits of those rules until there comes a time that they come close to breaking them, and then the rulemakers or enforcers are seen or portrayed as being pharisaical in their enforcing of the previously agreed-upon rules. They also mentioned that he is close to graduation, but he must not be currently attending classes, because his facial hair is clearly not conforming to BYU standards unless he carries a 'can't shave' card. This whole story seems to me that he is trying to create controversy where there really is none, and his attitude for being reminded of the rules he willingly agreed to is out of line.

This could be a dead thread but I just noticed it and so adding a comment.

1. I think the talent of the man's dance form is spactacular and I wish him all the best. The ability to dance like that ios a gift.

2. As for the dance shorts, although this is perfectly acceptable for such a performance; this student assumibly has a school hanbood which outlines what is and is not allowed? I don't know, but if this is the case, then when you sign up for the school and you know the rules, you need to abide by them or choose another school.

3. In viewing the video article it does show that BYU find it acceptable to publish the BUY swim team with them wearing the same kind of shorts or some wearing speedos. So to this I would have to inquire as to whether it is ok for the BYU swum team but not participants in the fine arts. Looks a little like a double standard if that is the case.

4. My objection to the dancer is not the dance which is excellent, or the clothing which is appropriate for the venue and performance, but I do not understand why the dancer had to tell the judges publically that his ex wife cheated on him and he was now remarried and this transistion in his life is what insipred him to competition dance. There is absolutely no purpose for him to tell the world that his ex wife cheated. More info than anyone needed to know. If he was inspired from his personal challenges it would have sufficed to say that during his challenges of divorse and remarriage he became inspired to dance, but to drag his ex into it on National TV was in much more poor taste than his brief costume.

I don't doubt that a school that prides itself on modesty was a little embarassed by this but i don't think he broke any rules that he needed "counseling" for.

If he broke any rules counseling isn't uncalled for. Being told, "What you did broke the rules and if you do it again you will be suspended, here lets go over the extent of the rules again and how we can avoid this in the future. [insert rest of discussion]" qualifies as being counseled. I suspect you're picturing him sitting on a long couch talking to a shrink or something, that would be pretty out there. I note that the headline of the article scare quotes counseling, probably because they are aware the word can be taken that way. LDS culture has a way with words (if I was an Elder's Quorum President I would 'counsel' with my counselors but it wouldn't be shrink sessions, we'd be discussing, goals, problems, and solutions).

Edited by Dravin

I don't think it's valid to say that his outfit is excusable because BYU swimmers wear short bathing suits. Bathing suits improve their time. Short shorts don't improve your dancing ability. BYU swimmers wouldn't get away with wearing their bathing suits to class, the testing center, or church. Gymnasts wouldn't be permitted to wear their leotards in those places either, but they are necessary for their sport because loose clothing can snag on equipment and make it difficult for their spotters too. When I was in gymnastics, we weren't allowed to wear loose clothing because our coach might accidentally grab just our clothes instead of preventing us from landing on our heads.

There's no reason why this guy couldn't put some more clothing on.

4. My objection to the dancer is not the dance which is excellent, or the clothing which is appropriate for the venue and performance, but I do not understand why the dancer had to tell the judges publically that his ex wife cheated on him and he was now remarried and this transistion in his life is what insipred him to competition dance. There is absolutely no purpose for him to tell the world that his ex wife cheated. More info than anyone needed to know. If he was inspired from his personal challenges it would have sufficed to say that during his challenges of divorse and remarriage he became inspired to dance, but to drag his ex into it on National TV was in much more poor taste than his brief costume.

Ooo. Good point.

I just watched the video. Interesting, he has facial hair in his interview. I guess he's on summer break then?

What has having facial hair got to do with anything, I've got facial hear (goatee) and have had one for a good few years, what relevance does this have to his dancing or not?