Questions about how the mods function

carlimac

Is a doubling of your current salary sufficient? I can make up the difference myself.

I will take you up on that Vort. Thank you so much for the offer.

Of the 17 reported posts, how many were Josephsmithluvr reporting things?

I miss him. He was funny. Seemed to think that he was subtle, too, which made it funnier.

Zero... For all his threats to report everyone, he reported zero... wonder if he knew how? I think that is part of what Pam found so funny. Each of his(and his alts) threads got reported, so that is in the number. That is expected though, given his nature

Of the 17 reported posts, how many were Josephsmithluvr reporting things?

I miss him. He was funny. Seemed to think that he was subtle, too, which made it funnier.

He was highly intelligent. His temple even said so.

Also because of his high intelligence, his temple allowed him to go on a mission earlier than 19.

LOL He said that? It reminds me to Sunday school class when the teacher asked how many of you are humble? 80% of the class raised the hand and they weren't joking. :P

Guest xforeverxmetalx

LOL He said that? It reminds me to Sunday school class when the teacher asked how many of you are humble? 80% of the class raised the hand and they weren't joking. :P

That's not really a fair question. I mean, on the surface it seems contradictory. But ideally you have both humility and self-confidence. So if you do, and someone asks you if you're humble, why wouldn't you raise your hand? Most likely that doesn't apply to 80% of the class though, so I imagine the rest were just doing it because they thought they were expected to.

Just saying. ^_^

I take great pride in my humility.

My humility makes me better than you.

And because of that, I'm the most humble guy I know.

Just ask you..right?

And if the other kids standing around the fire don't take any action to stop the kids from sticking their hands in the fire, then aren't you technically saying it's okay for them to do it? One reason we put out the whole campfire is because everybody else around the fire is standing around watching them do it and not taking any action to make them stop. And others are encouraging them to stand right in the middle of the fire just to see what happens. What do you expect us to do when you aren't doing anything to help the situation?

On just about every forum I've used, mini-modding is a punishable offense. I've always been told it's best to not get involved, report it, and let the mods handle it. If things are run differently around here and the members are allowed to police each other, then I was simply unaware of it and would be more than happy to mediate.

On just about every forum I've used, mini-modding is a punishable offense. I've always been told it's best to not get involved, report it, and let the mods handle it. If things are run differently around here and the members are allowed to police each other, then I was simply unaware of it and would be more than happy to mediate.

That's what john doe is talking about. Reporting posts so we are aware of the problem as it is happening. We could get rid of the offending post or poster quickly before it escalates to having to nuke the entire thread.

I didn't say you need to act like a moderator. But when you see a poster or posters getting heated, it doesn't hurt to have people involved in the thread to tell them to cool it. It's when no one does anything or start ganging up on a moderator that things get ugly fast.

At what point does something become too heated? Could you give examples of threads? I think our perception of what is too heated and what isn't probably differs, which would explain why I tend to overlook it.

At what point does something become too heated? Could you give examples of threads? I think our perception of what is too heated and what isn't probably differs, which would explain why I tend to overlook it.

If you don't know, then I can't explain it. But, as the famous saying goes, I know it when I see it.

If you don't know, then I can't explain it. But, as the famous saying goes, I know it when I see it.

It's not that I don't know, I'm just trying to see it through your glasses, so to speak. There seemingly are a lot of things I might read and dismiss as innocent albeit playfully sarcastic chiding that you might read and find a problem with.

At what point does something become too heated? Could you give examples of threads?

The threads that are locked are good examples for the most part. Especially when the reason given is that it has run its course. A quick usage of the search facility could come in handy here :)

I think our perception of what is too heated and what isn't probably differs, which would explain why I tend to overlook it.

The moderating experience of JohnDoe and Pam combined is extensive. They didn't land the job as head moderators for no reason. I for one trust their judgement when it comes to deciding how heated something needs to get before a thread is locked - they've seen it time and time again, enough to predict what comes next.

That said, any moderator, past and current, will tell you that moderators don't always agree with each other, hence why most issues are discussed before action is taken - sometimes an action is reversed, or not taken at all as a result of a disagreement.

Edited by Mahone

Heck even I have had to bend because the majority of moderators didn't agree with me. I also trust the rest of the moderating staff to keep me in line as well. :)

Take a read at the political threads that I did about a month or so ago in the Current Events section. That may give you some insight.

Now that you remind me I still don't (fully) get why those needed to be locked. I assumed the gospel-related discussion threads were closed because the discussions weren't gospel-related enough, but I still don't understand why MoE's liberal mormon politics thread needed to be closed, and under the same reasoning, at that.

Hidden

This is how mods function:

XMod(Y) is the solved by

1. Writing X/Y as a proper fraction (A B/Y where B < Y)

2. Discarding the integer and only keeping the numerator ( B )

So 10 Mod (3) = 1.

1. 10/3 = 3 1/3

2. 10 Mod (3) = 1

You may now resume the thread.

Is that consistently defined for X and Y having opposite signs?