Policy to threaten inactive?

Tyler90AZ

I understand where they are coming from something along that lines is within the Temple ceremony. If you disobey your covenants the wrath of god will come upon you. I just didn't know anybody believed that. Nonetheless it has solidified my wanting to get out of the church, so I appreciate it.

I'm concerned about what you're trying to say in your post. Let's go line by line for a second here.

I understand where they are coming from something along that lines is within the Temple ceremony.

Temple covenants are between you and God. Not everyone else.

If you disobey your covenants the wrath of god will come upon you.

Until you have attended the temple, this is nothing to worry about. And, by the way, you have grossly misquoted the temple as well as the intention.

I just didn't know anybody believed that.

So, assuming that what you had believed to be true of what the covenants and instruction are in the temple, you believe that members DON'T believe in what is being said and taught in the temple?

Nonetheless it has solidified my wanting to get out of the church, so I appreciate it.

No. This has solidified the fact that you don't know what's going on in the temple and you are assigning your assumptions on others.

I don't know what others are saying to you. I don't know if you've EVER attended the temple, or how long ago it may have been for you. It is clear that you don't understand either the intention of the other members, or the messages being taught in the temple.

So, you are taking offense with inaccurate information.

I have been threatened by many people that the wrath of god will get me because I am not a member. Is that church policy? I though the devil was the evil one? So who does the bad stuff the devil or god?

If you are not a member - why did you say "Mormon" as your religion? I think you should envite the missionaries over and start at the beginning to learn our doctrine.

The Traveler

I have been threatened by many people that the wrath of god will get me because I am not a member. Is that church policy? I though the devil was the evil one? So who does the bad stuff the devil or god?

Just a quick observation....in your post you say you aren't a member, yet your profile says you are....

It has never been church policy to threaten people in any way, for any reason.

Tyler90AZ has a history of some interesting posts - including how to get his name off the church records.

Perhaps he finally succeeded and he's being "harassed" by others who knew him in the church and are trying various ways and methods to "motivate" him to return back to church?

It's interesting to me when ex-members or never-member-antis absolutely insist that certain things happen in the church, right under our noses or behind our backs, when I've never seen or heard any evidence of these things in 32 years of active LDS membership.

It's interesting to me when ex-members or never-member-antis absolutely insist that certain things happen in the church, right under our noses or behind our backs, when I've never seen or heard any evidence of these things in 32 years of active LDS membership.

There are matters of perspective as well. Somethings members see or do that while they think is good or well intentioned can sometimes be cruel or mean spirited. How things are said, tone, or even certain things being said at all, while on the surface appearing ok can be far from ok. You yourself could be part of this but because of your perspective have missed it.

I remember reading a paper by someone or another that said the Church painted a giant red cross on his lawn--a standard threat from the LDS Church headquarters. I even asked a few antis about that one--they had never heard of this standard red cross.

What temple was this?? During my mission in San Diego I heard countelss claims of (pick your own crazy idea of what could possibly be going on) taking place in the basement of the San Diego temple.

For example...the consumation of marriages, silly chants performed right in front of me to the effect of Joseph Smith being better than God or other such rot...oh, and my favorite simply because of how odd it is....co-ed nude volleyball....

I very carefully explained that basements are illegal in San Diego due to earthquake risks. The San Diego temple has no basement. The baptismal font itself is underground, but as you stand to enter it, most of your body is actually above ground. It's also covered by landscaping with a skylight. the font is not within the footprint of the temple itself.

Edited by RipplecutBuddha

I understand where they are coming from something along that lines is within the Temple ceremony. If you disobey your covenants the wrath of god will come upon you. I just didn't know anybody believed that. Nonetheless it has solidified my wanting to get out of the church, so I appreciate it.

Hey Tyler;

It sounds like you have a lot of issues concerning the church. Honestly, I don't know if this is the ideal place for you to air your concerns. As you can see, a lot of the responses suspect your motive and intent as well as being quite defensive. It's not pretty towards you....

I'm not sure what you are looking for in posting this? Is it a simple direct answer to your question, or to open up a discussion about other issues you may be having?

Are you a member? Convert? Former Member? If you're this unhappy with the LDS church, what has lead you to post on LDS Net?

To make you aware, I have been a member all of my life. My experience has been that very often there are no threats; either in hate or in love....I have learned that I cannot rely on the "arm of flesh," i.e. other members, for my testimony. This gospel is not for the faint of heart....

The best in your searching~

Dove