My Boy Asked The Magic Question

slamjet

So I'm on the phone with my ex talking business as she was waiting in the car for the kids. My boy (10 years old) opens the door and say's "Mom, what's puberty?"

I haven't laughed that hard in over a year.

Mom immediately said that she doesn't know what boy puberty is so he needs to ask his dad. So later, he calls me and asks "dad, what's puberty?"

Seems like they had a discussion about it in his school. But what they didn't do was go into a whole lot of detail. Instead, they informed them it was going to happen, gave them a pamphlet about it (including questions to ask), threatened them all with school suspension if they are caught talking about it with other students, and told them they are only to talk to their parents about it.

Now I didn't do the "birds and the bee's" thing with my girls. That I left to mom. But he had a list of questions to ask me from that pamphlet and other curiosities. Including the "the sperm and the egg collide, but how do they get together to collide?"

So now my boy is a little bit wiser, my teenage daughters are more freaked out because now he "knows", he's looking forward to a deep voice and lot's of muscles and has drilled into his head that Heavenly Father made us this way, and we are not allowed to mess with this unless we are married. Period.

What a flipp'n strange day in parenthood.

When my boy starts to sound more like me, and girls are no longer icky.

"Puberty" is composed of three words:

• "Pew", which represents how certain body parts start to smell
  • "Bert", the lower-voiced of the two muppets, indicating a change of vocal pitch
  • "Tea", representing how you start hoping the girl next door invites you to her tea parties

• "Bert", the lower-voiced of the two muppets, indicating a change of vocal pitch
  • "Tea", representing how you start hoping the girl next door invites you to her tea parties

I need to remember that one!

-RM

That list doesn't really work for females though...

Not necessarily. :P

I keep coming back to this and trying to think of how that actually works for females, but I just can't get it. Maybe I'm dense, lol. I, of course, understand how "Pew" works. Women get stinky too :P , but I don't see how "Bart" or "Tea" work... Our voices don't change, and we start showing an interest in guys who don't have "tea parties" so....

Yes they do. Female puberty is accompanied by an increase in larynx size which changes the voice. The effect is just much more dramatic (generally) in males.

Hmm... okay, you got me there. Learned something new today :D . What about the last one though? Still having trouble wrapping my head around a way that one applies to females.

And they get more shrill.

Oh, I don't know about that- they get more cunning and devious with using the shrilly voice. The older they get, the more they learn how to manipulate and use the shrill.

My youngest sister uses her voice like a well honed weapon. I refuse to be in the same house as her- with or without hearing aids her voice cuts through me and hurts, really hurts my ears and head. I always expect to have blood running out my ears, nose and eyes when she gets on a verbal tangent. When Mom and Dad were still alive, they were constantly telling her to modulate her voice, sounding like a Shrew is not an admirable goal.

If my voice changed at puberty Dravin, then why when I answer the phone, those who aren't that familiar with me ask if my Grandmother is home?

If my voice changed at puberty Dravin, then why when I answer the phone, those who aren't that familiar with me ask if my Grandmother is home?

The connections you are trying to make are not obvious, the fact that females' voices change at puberty does not preclude you having a youthful sounding voice. Think of your larynx as a violin when you are prepubescent. Now males, when they hit puberty theirs grows until it is a cello. You have a rather noticeable change in sound between the two instruments. Females, their violin doesn't grow nearly as much at puberty but it does grow, the result is the sound changes but combined with the gradual nature of it, the sheer variety of the human voice, and the smaller scale of the difference it can easily be unnoticed.

Edited by Dravin

• 2 months later...
Guest damonw9
Hidden

So lately I've been trying to keep my family connected and I found a perfect internet site that has just recently hit the web called familyshare.com it's a lot safer than facebook I think. Anyways for any of you who want to keep connected with your family a little better go and check it out.

I know kids are ready at differnt times, but whta age do you think is good to have "the talk" with your kids. My youngest is almost 9 and we have a baby coming, he said there is no way to control when babies come, I said yes there is some control, we were out and busy at the time, but I have not talked to the 10 year old about it. What do you think?

I know kids are ready at differnt times, but whta age do you think is good to have "the talk" with your kids. My youngest is almost 9 and we have a baby coming, he said there is no way to control when babies come, I said yes there is some control, we were out and busy at the time, but I have not talked to the 10 year old about it. What do you think?

I think there is a way to control it.