The Sacrament and Gluten intolerent members

Grannyd

Hi everyone,

My husband is the bishop in our ward and he has been presented with a situation that he is working on solving. I just thought that perhaps some of you had some experience with this within your own wards and you could share how it's handled there.

He has been made aware that we have several members of our ward that have an intolerance to gluten so they are not able to partake of the sacrament bread without getting sick. Now the easy solution would be just to only use gluten free bread but it is very expensive and I'm not sure they can afford to use it for everyone. We've heard a couple of different ways that others say their wards have addressed this issue but honestly, they sound a little complicated. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks

In our ward the family that has the gluten problem brings their own bread in a small plastic zippered bag. It is given to the Priests who bless it with the rest of the bread. The deacon who passes to their family is given the tray with the plastic bag on it. Most people in the ward don't even know that anything is different. I know because the Mom is my VT.

I hope that's helpful.

Hi everyone,

My husband is the bishop in our ward and he has been presented with a situation that he is working on solving. I just thought that perhaps some of you had some experience with this within your own wards and you could share how it's handled there.

He has been made aware that we have several members of our ward that have an intolerance to gluten so they are not able to partake of the sacrament bread without getting sick. Now the easy solution would be just to only use gluten free bread but it is very expensive and I'm not sure they can afford to use it for everyone. We've heard a couple of different ways that others say their wards have addressed this issue but honestly, they sound a little complicated. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks

We have one deacon take a special tray, covered on the bottom with a paper towel, with gluten-free bread to those with gluten intolerance (including himself). When he is done, he returns to the officiating priests, who let him take a piece, then he takes a regular tray and passes his normal route. Works like a charm.

We have one deacon take a special tray, covered on the bottom with a paper towel, with gluten-free bread to those with gluten intolerance (including himself). When he is done, he returns to the officiating priests, who let him take a piece, then he takes a regular tray and passes his normal route. Works like a charm.

I've been in a ward which basically did the same thing as you describe.

My daughter has Celiac Disease. Luckily we've been in wards with others that have it, too ever since she was diagnosed. Makes it easier if it's not just one person in the whole ward. We've always taken turns with the other families bringing the gluten free bread. In our present ward they bring two slices of bread. The deacon assigned to that tray finds the three families that need it and passes that tray to the whole row whether everyone on the row needs it or not. That way there isn't a lot of leaning over to get it to just one person. Makes less of a scene. Some people cringe when they realize they're on a row that gets the GF bread. Oh well, they only have to eat a tiny piece. It does taste different. But we've found some really good recipes for bread and it's not nearly as nasty as it used to be.

One important thing to remember is that the GF bread can be cross contaminated with crumbs from the regular bread if the priest breaks the GF bread after breaking the regular bread. He should always break the GF bread first with freshly washed hands. .

Edited by carlimac

I personally know one person who is gluten intolerant. When I asked her about this (I thought I was gluten sensitive and we'd been chatting about it), she said she'd tried bringing her own gluten free breads but that other people would end up eating her piece, so she just stopped eating the bread.

I hate to think of people not having the sacrament, but if it's going to make you sick or if others can't be respectful of special needs, then I'm not sure what the option is.

Dahlia, your friend needs to talk to the bishop about the issue. She should be able to bring her own bread and eat it--not have others do so. As has been suggested, perhaps the special bread should be in a baggy to separate it. There is a solution to the problem--just needs to be communicated to the people involved.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Off the top of my head:

have the deacons get to know the individuals that have to be gluten free. Then have an extra tray with the gluten free bread taken by a deacon who is assigned to take it to them.

Maybe have a small sticker on the tray that says GLuten free only or something.

Edit: what carlimac wrote is a great idea.

If it is only one or two people, (like our ward) the individuals bring their own (in our case I beleve it is almost cracker like as opposed to bread....no matter) then pretty much the same as above. Those officiating bless it along with the normal sacrament. They actually place it in sacrament cups to avoid cross contamination, but place it in the same tray and away it goes. Works great.

-RM

If it is only one or two people, (like our ward) the individuals bring their own (in our case I beleve it is almost cracker like as opposed to bread....no matter) then pretty much the same as above. Those officiating bless it along with the normal sacrament. They actually place it in sacrament cups to avoid cross contamination, but place it in the same tray and away it goes. Works great.

-RM

That's a good idea too if there aren't enough trays to designate a whole tray to gluten free bread.