The Hunger Games

Bini

Never read the books (which I hear are fantastic) but saw the movie tonight and it was great! Having known little, or should I say nothing about it, the plot was very interesting and the movie itself quite entertaining. Apparently, this series is speculated to have a bigger fan base and be bigger than Twilight.. Yeh, I know - we'll see about that. But still, worth seeing. If you plan on going - reserve seats ahead of time! Or just wait til crowds die down. It's a long movie too, run time like 2hr30m, so bring snacks :)

A story where a corrupt, tyrannical, pompous and decadent government/society punishes its lower class districts by subjecting their innocent children to endure an annual ritual game of life or death where only one child can survive, rather than summarily executing them as a lesson to the districts for a failed attempt at uprising. I have mixed feelings about the movie.

A story where a corrupt, tyrannical, pompous and decadent government/society punishes its lower class districts by subjecting their innocent children to endure an annual ritual game of life or death where only one child can survive, rather than summarily executing them as a lesson to the districts for a failed attempt at uprising. I have mixed feelings about the movie.

But, but... they overthrow the corrupt government in the end! :) I know what you mean, though. It is a very "adult" concept written as a young adult series. I think that is what surprised me and enthralled me so much when I read the books. It has frightening correlations to real life and the tyrannical regimes of our history. It is something that you would expect to be read/viewed by only a mature audience- something analyzed in a college class perhaps.. but it has become popular enough among our young that it is read in schools and has been made into a film also geared toward the young.

I just hope that the movie does an adequate job of portraying just how awful the concept of the "games" really was and doesn't glorify it. It was exciting, when reading, to see Katniss inadvertently starting a rebellion and tearing down the tyranny- and I would not at all have enjoyed the books as much as I did if it was just about children fighting to the death. I loved that the books really get you thinking. I hope the film does the same.

We went and saw this as a family yesterday. I have not read the books but I enjoyed the movie.

On a political note, what makes this movie interesting to me is that the wealthy oppressors did not appear to be greedy corporations (Hollywoods favorite scapegoat) but big entertainment, big media, big fashion. It was the producers in this society that were being subjugated and abused. It made this much more palatable imho.

I just received the trilogy so I'm looking forward to reading this series.

Edited by Windseeker

I thought the message was about wealthy countries and 3rd world countries. We have everything well the third world countries can barely get enough to eat. We are not scared to exploit the third world countries for their natural resources. Yet, beauty is a billion dollar industry here. Then of course we keep them warring with each other so they won't up rise against us. In the end though people will break free, we have seen that throughout history. You can look at many countries standing up to the big bad capital of the wold(America) right now.

I thought the message was about wealthy countries and 3rd world countries. We have everything well the third world countries can barely get enough to eat. We are not scared to exploit the third world countries for their natural resources. Yet, beauty is a billion dollar industry here. Then of course we keep them warring with each other so they won't up rise against us. In the end though people will break free, we have seen that throughout history. You can look at many countries standing up to the big bad capital of the wold(America) right now.

Am I understanding you correctly? The USA is responsible for the wealth (or lack thereof) of other countries? We have the responsibility to feed the world?

You do realize that the 13 districts depicted in the movie are in North America right? The 12th district being Appalachia. If your worried about exploitation I would think your enemy is China. Look at what they are doing around the world.

You do realize that the 13 districts depicted in the movie are in North America right? The 12th district being Appalachia. If your worried about exploitation I would think your enemy is China. Look at what they are doing around the world.

Interesting, could you elaborate. What do you mean the districts represent North America?

I have only read the first book and watched the movie.

Despite what I wrote I am PRO USA, I am also a realist though.

Am I understanding you correctly? The USA is responsible for the wealth (or lack thereof) of other countries? We have the responsibility to feed the world?

On this earth there is enough food for the whole human family to eat good daily. However, it is due to greed on the part of many people that food is not divided. It is not only the USA, it is many more wealthy countries. I am also sure if the countries roles were reversed it would be the same way.

I have yet to see the movies, but I read the books. I think the point Collins is trying to make is a social one, not necessarily a political one. The people of Capitol City weren't necessarily bad, yet I remember being shocked to read about how they would eat so much food, throw it up, and eat more just because it was there, completely oblivious to what was happening in the outer districts. And, although they seemed to be in a state of bliss or pleasure, there were many of them that did not like being subjected to President Snow's rule, finally realizing that pleasure is not happiness.

@Tyler: What Windseeker said was that the story takes place in North America, not representing it. :P

Also, sure, we have enough money and food to go around, but there are many places where it is pretty much impossible to get it to the people because of a corrupt government. We'd help if we could.

Edited by orrinjelo

I did not mean to imply you were, Tyler. My point is simply that people take from this story what they want. Some people will take away an anti-big-government, anti-big-media message. Some will see an anti-reality-TV message. Others will see messages of environmentalism or the elite oppressing the poor. That is, in my opinion, the beauty of the story. It gets people thinking and talking about the message they got out of it and why, which can hopefully fascilitate some good discussion with everyone getting different points of view and trying to understand each other. Kapeesh?

I did not mean to imply you were, Tyler. My point is simply that people take from this story what they want. Some people will take away an anti-big-government, anti-big-media message. Some will see an anti-reality-TV message. Others will see messages of environmentalism or the elite oppressing the poor. That is, in my opinion, the beauty of the story. It gets people thinking and talking about the message they got out of it and why, which can hopefully fascilitate some good discussion with everyone getting different points of view and trying to understand each other. Kapeesh?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I know you were not directing your comments at me. I agree that people will be able to interpret different things from the movie and it is always good to have discussion.

Edited by Tyler90AZ

It is violent and takes an idea to an extreme, but what a commentary on our penchant for viewing the turmoil and suffering of others as entertainment? I think of the shows that highlight family fights, love triangles...and I think of what our news stations have become. The Hunger Games simply shows us how society looks a little further down the road.

This could be dissected in various ways. Our government is corrupt and near ripe for destruction. The system is perfect (US Constitution) as the Lord set it up through our founding fathers. Jesus Christ admonishes us in D&C to befriend the Constitution, which He approves.

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." America is in bondage and Thomas Jefferson understood this well. And he commented on only one facet of it.

What we the people fail to grasp is that we will be awakening to our awful situation (Ether 8). The US government IS responsible for much corruption in the world. Where the US once was a beacon and a standard of liberty, it is now a cesspool of corruption and iniquity and most of it is in Washington DC. And like the people of King Noah, as the leaders were idolaters and adulterers, so too, did the people become idolaters and adulterers. Our society is decaying and the media is a reflection of it. If we the people knew just how we have been lulled into thinking all is well, then we might wake up to just how we have been led by a flaxen cord until we are nearly fully in bondage. I'm not going to go into any details. The reader can do his/her own research.

The US doesn't necessarily have the responsibility to feed the world, but consider if the US was a true "big brother." Are we our brother's keepers? Yes! There should be no poor among us. And yet there are countless homeless people, widows, and fatherless. There are so many foster children needing good homes. The system is saturated with those in dire need. And we look the other way. I'm not going to point finger at anyone except myself. But let each person consider Matthew 25. There are three simple parables with deep and profound messages that are interconnected. Anyway, I don't want to go off topic. I just had to share some personal insight.

Edited by skalenfehl
typos

That's the problem with the movie - why I didn't like it.

The books were soooo rich and the movie just never did capture all that. The districts were never really delved into - what they really are. I mean, sure, you know that District 12 is a poor area compared to the capitol just by the dirt that they walk on. But, the movie doesn't really explain how it is the poorest of all the Districts and how they relate to other districts.... and how they get to be governed by the Capitol instead of being an independent mining town...

And then, of course, the reason for the Hunger Games was just so flimsy it's almost comical... the districts rebelled so we created the games...uh, yeah, like, why would the districts just go for that for 74 years and not rebel by year 10? The book made the whole set-up much more believable.

Anyway, I never really did like the concept of the books but it was still a good read. The movie was just... well... a bad concept. But yes, I am appreciative that they didn't make the movie so gory - I was dreading the part were she ripped the bow out of the dead tribute... but they did that well.