ultra-conservative clothing

RPJR

In the book Mormon Doctrine, I read something of a condemnation of the wearing of utr-conservative clothing, say like the Amish or some Mennonites wear. I personally prefer a conservative style of clothing. Anyone else have any opinions on this matter?

Edited by pam

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with MoE. However, here is my additional opinion and perspective from my own limited view:

We are charged to be IN the world, but not OF the world. By wearing things that are way too different from our culture actually repels others from us. This can work in either spectrum of clothing and apparel. If your entire face is tattooed, it will repel others. If you wear clothes from "Little house on the prairie" while you live in NYC (as an example), you'll be thought of as "weird".

However, we are not in a culture or religion that requires an extreme dress code. We are to be clean and modest in our dress and speech. Extreme fashions in either direction cause unwanted attention to ourselves - directly or indirectly - and can also cause us to feel "victimized" in our own mind.

God looks on the inside, people look on the outside. Make sure the outside is a major reflection for what's going on inside.

In the book Mormon Doctrine, I read something of a condemnation of the wearing of utr-conservative clothing, say like the Amish or some Mennonites wear. I personally prefer a conservative style of clothing. Anyone else have any opinions on this matter?

My opinion is I would dearly like to know what you read from Mormon Doctrine that condemned the wearing of ultraconservative clothing.

My first opinion is to stop reading Mormon Doctrine.

Why am I not surprised?

Oh, yes. That's right. Because it's MoE suggesting that someone not read a Church leader's book that has opinions he disagrees with. Duh. Silly me.

Very true, many modern Mennonites dress in regular, modern style clothing. I suppose I should have said those of the conservative churches and old order.

I was refering to the section on modesty in the book. Perhaps it does not condemn the practice, but it sounds like it is to be discouraged. I understand the reasoning. I suppose I should say that since I come from that kind of background, that is why I lean to the very conservative type of clothing.

This is for me and I don't advocate it for anyone else. My skirts are quite long, and I wear long sleeves and modest neck line. When the church President walks up to me and tells me to shorten my skirts, I might think about it.

My clothing is not off putting because I talk to more people every day than I can even imagine. And, maybe America could use someone setting a good example. It sickens me that women wear skinny jeans, and tight tops away from church.

If any one wants to use the church management to create license to create an excuse to dress inappropriately, it won't be me that does it. For us to try to conform to the world in its present apostate state is ludicrous.

From the Modesty entry in Mormon Doctrine (the second paragraph is the most relevant):

Modesty in dress is one of the identifying characteristics of true saints. It is an aid in preserving chastity and an outward sign that the modest person is imbued with humility, decency, and propriety. Immodesty in dress is worldly, excites passions and lusts, places undue emphasis on sex and lewdness, and frequently encourages and invites petting and other immoral practices. It is an outward sign that the immodest person has become hardened to the finer sensitivities of the Spirit and been overcome by a spirit of vanity and pride. Low-necked dresses and those which do not adequately cover the body, for instance, are obviously destructive of decency.

Extremes of dress of any kind are of doubtful propriety. Costly and elaborate clothing in general is anything but indicative that the wearer has overcome the world and is walking humbly before the Lord. On the other hand old-fashioned, somber, uniform-type clothing worn by fanatical members of some small religious sects is wholly unbecoming in our modern society. Such habits of dress indicate a lack of understanding of sound and true principles of modesty.

Speaking as moved upon by the Spirit, Paul counseled "that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good good works." (1 Tim. 2:9-10) In our day the Lord has spoken similarly: "Thou shalt not be proud in thy heart; let all thy garments be plain, and their beauty the beauty of the work of thin own hands." (D&C 42:40)

Edited by mordorbund

Why am I not surprised?

Oh, yes. That's right. Because it's MoE suggesting that someone not read a Church leader's book that has opinions he disagrees with. Duh. Silly me.

In MoE's defence, an Apostle disagreed with Elder McConkie's usage of forceful, blunt language; some strongly worded statements about ambiguous doctrine and matters of opinion; and the overall authoritative tone throughout the book. Specifically, it was Marion G. Romney who did.

Overall, he felt it was commendable and valuable.

In my opinion, I will be studying LDS doctrine for the rest of my life. Reading a book where I might end up thinking something is scriptural and unambiguous when it is not scriptural and entirely ambiguous is not something I would want to do.

Besides. I haven't even managed to make it through Jesus the Christ, yet. I've tried. I can't imagine being able to get through Mormon Doctrine.

In MoE's defence, an Apostle disagreed with Elder McConkie's usage of forceful, blunt language; some strongly worded statements about ambiguous doctrine and matters of opinion; and the overall authoritative tone throughout the book. Specifically, it was Marion G. Romney who did.

Overall, he felt it was commendable and valuable.

In my opinion, I will be studying LDS doctrine for the rest of my life. Reading a book where I might end up thinking something is scriptural and unambiguous when it is not scriptural and entirely ambiguous is not something I would want to do.

Besides. I haven't even managed to make it through Jesus the Christ, yet. I've tried. I can't imagine being able to get through Mormon Doctrine.

When in doubt the scriptures are easier to understand than some of the standard writings in the church like Jesus the Christ.

The Menonites around here dress differently. the women wear a long dress and a hair bun with net. The men wear the plaid shirts and the mustacheless beard. I suppose they have liberal and conservative groups. Oh and they have big black vans that they use to go to Walmart in. :)

The Mennonites in my area must be of a more conservative bent, as they dress like what you describe. The women seem to favor pastels, which I assume means they want to look pretty, while at the same time wearing plain and modest clothing. The men are typical men and don't seem to give a hoot about color. :lol:

I wonder if one reason Mennonite and Amish style dress is discouraged by McConkie is because some people think Mormons and Mennonites are "of an ilk." Presumably we want to project a more modern and mainstream image to the world, while still being modest.

And then we make a big fuss celebrating Pioneer Day and going on Treks dressed in 19th century clothing... ;)

Personally, I'd rather go on this type of Trek:

Posted Image

Edited by HEthePrimate

My first opinion is to stop reading Mormon Doctrine.

+1

Never mind Vort, MoE. He sometimes has difficulty disagreeing without being unpleasant. Or, perhaps (to give him the benefit of the doubt), the unpleasantness is a result of the medium of the Internet, which does not allow us to share body language and facial expressions. He could be playfully kidding you. ;)

Edited by HEthePrimate

I see no reason to stop reading Mormon Doctrine. I see no reason to no take in account the qualifiers that GA have added. Sheesh its not like it is antimormon literature. BH Roberts had some flaky stuff in his writings too. Not to mention Orson Hyde and Orson Pratt. Only things I read with no reservations are the Book of Mormon and the Pearl of Great Price. Those we know were by direct revelation. The rest may be scripture or doctrinal treatises but they are not completely without influence of man.

I see no reason to stop reading Mormon Doctrine.

That is because you lack the intelligence and sophistication of HEthePrimate and MarginOfError. Were you in their rarified air instead of muddling around down here with the likes of me, you would see the foolishness of your course and join in, scoffing and mocking at such so-called "prophets" and their writings. McConkie, indeed!

That is because you lack the intelligence and sophistication of HEthePrimate and MarginOfError. Were you in their rarified air instead of muddling around down here with the likes of me, you would see the foolishness of your course and join in, scoffing and mocking at such so-called "prophets" and their writings. McConkie, indeed!

Okaaay... way to misinterpret! I merely assert that prophets and apostles are merely human, like the rest of us, and we are not obliged to agree with everything they say. They themselves would say the same thing.

Of course it behooves us to pay attention to what they say, and to pray and ask God if it's right.

Okaaay... way to misinterpret!

Misinterpret? Let's examine this assertion:

MarginOfError: "My first opinion is to stop reading Mormon Doctrine."

HEthePrimate: "+1"

Here is how I interpret this: MarginOfError thinks that the OP should quit reading Elder McConkie's book. HEthePrimate agrees.

Which part of my interpretation is wrong?

I merely assert that prophets and apostles are merely human, like the rest of us, and we are not obliged to agree with everything they say.

On the contrary, you specifically agreed with MarginOfError's advice to quit reading Mormon Doctrine.

Of course it behooves us to pay attention to what they say, and to pray and ask God if it's right.

This is rather the opposite of what you first said.

Again, please clarify the exact point of my misunderstanding, or else clarify that you are changing your previously stated opinion. But if you are changing your opinion or expression, don't try to put that on me, as if I blunderingly misunderstood your plain meaning. I think I understood your meaning perfectly.