Cola drinks

Is it okay for Mormons to drink cola drinks?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay for Mormons to drink cola drinks?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • For medicinal purposes only.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dreaded question! :)

President Hinkley once said in an interview on Larry King that we do not drink Caffeine. Other than that, I do not think there is an official church policy on soda. Do I? Yes I do. Although it is very, very moderate for me now. I wasnt obese or anything, I am a tall guy with a big frame, but I dropped like 15-20lbs on just not drinking sugary soda. Since January I have not had one sugary soda, and maybe 2 caffinated drinks.

to her once, "you know,

I can't say it was always so however. I used to pound Rickstars and Monster drinks like a man trapped in a desert that just found water.

Our stake presidents daughter loves Dr Pepper, and he saidyou aren't going to have Dr Pepper in Heaven" and she replied " I know that dad, that is why I have to drink it while I am here." I thought that was funny.

So do we? My answer would be like everything else not named in the Word of Wisdom. We do not need everything spelled out for us. Eat in moderation and eat good foods. I think if it is not right, it is just as bad as over eating, which we all do (at least now and then).

If there was a disaster and it was a choice between contaminated water or cola, then cola it is.

If it's me in a drive through, and the choice is more of the same Sprite that taste's like dirt because they don't clean the machines well enough, or cola, which is so acidic, it will shine the chrome on your car, then cola it is.

If it's the choice between a bottle of water and cola, then the water will win out.

But if it's the choice between anything else and Dr. Pepper, then I shall break out into song and dance and declare "I'm a Pepper, he's a Pepper, She's a Pepper, we're a Pepper, Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too?" And then reach for the bottled water because too much caffeine makes my heart and mind race.

I base my "no" vote on the spirit of the WoW, rather than the letter of it. It is a code of health, we know soda is not a healthful drink and contributes to diabetes.

I'm also a hypocrite, I drink a ton of Pepsi. It's one of my many weaknesses.

I base my "no" vote on the spirit of the WoW, rather than the letter of it. It is a code of health, we know soda is not a healthful drink and contributes to diabetes.

I'm also a hypocrite, I drink a ton of Pepsi. It's one of my many weaknesses.

Uh oh...Do you eat chocolate too? If so I'm now worried about you.

It is a code of health, we know soda is not a healthful drink and contributes to diabetes.

Is it? I honestly do not know. However, a rabbi was asked if the kosher laws of the Mosaic Law were a health code. He said, no, not really. The reason that Jews, for example, do not eat shrimp is because God said no.

Could it be that the Word of Wisdom is a restriction that God gave LDS for reasons other than health--possibly simply because he wanted it as a marker of obedience?

Is it? I honestly do not know. However, a rabbi was asked if the kosher laws of the Mosaic Law were a health code. He said, no, not really. The reason that Jews, for example, do not eat shrimp is because God said no.

Could it be that the Word of Wisdom is a restriction that God gave LDS for reasons other than health--possibly simply because he wanted it as a marker of obedience?

At first it was just a code but not doctrine. As soon as it was doctrine it seems to me it did become a marker of obedience. :)

I suppose it could be looked at that way, based on the wording though, it seems to me to be a code of health more than anything else. Your question would take a good deal of digging through prophets talks on the matter for me to answer for myself. I have always taken the WoW as a code of health, and a preparatory law.

1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—

3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

My emphasis added

Take the below verse as an example, it doesn't say, don't do this because God said so, it says that it is not good for man, so don't use it. The WoW is full of this type of wording.

8 And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.

Does anyone know off hand which prophets have modified the WoW, and where the address can be found? I'm interested in reading it.

Uh oh...Do you eat chocolate too? If so I'm now worried about you.

I'll have peanut M&M's now and again, but my preferred method of consumption is imbibing a piping hot mug with marshmallows floating on top. I don't indulge in it to often though.

Actually I'm not sure what connection your making with the chocolate, because it has caffeine and sugar in it? I do love a bar of dark chocolate :D

Honestly all things in moderation, I said I believe pepsi to be a violation of the WoW, I should've said, drinking it as much as I do is a violation of the WoW. Having the occasional pepsi is fine, I'm finishing my 2nd 2 liter today, that's not okay.

This is what I was talking about Jerome. :) Totally meant in humor towards you.

http://www.lds.net/forums/current-events/46378-pepsi-chocolate-addictions.html

In that case I'll have a beaconchocolatepepsi.

Chocolate counts as my veggie of the day right? It grows on a green, leafy thing right?

Its coke with cherry juice. Always had it at resteraunts since I was a kid. I rarely if ever drink any soda.

I think if the church really wanted to get hard on what is good and not, go for fat and sugar based foods. Poor diet and lack of exercise are leading causes of Obesity, stroke, and heart diseases in this country.

BTW, coke has some good things it can do. It can clean coins. It can strip the shell off a hard boiled egg. It can act as a sugar for compost.

BTW, coke has some good things it can do. It can clean coins. It can strip the shell off a hard boiled egg. It can act as a sugar for compost.

If it can do all of that, imagine what it's doing to the inside of your body.

Orange Juice is more acidic than coke. In fact it can be almost twice as acidic (on the pH scale). It also has, ounce per ounce, more sugar.

Just saying.

Edited by jerome1232

At first it was just a code but not doctrine. As soon as it was doctrine it seems to me it did become a marker of obedience. :)

I think you mean "once it became a commandment." It was never doctrine; only an application of doctrine (which is why the commandments regarding health and consumption have changed so much throughout history--different applications for different times).

Orange Juice is more acidic than coke. In fact it can be almost twice as acidic (on the pH scale). It also has, ounce per ounce, more sugar.

Just saying.

And your stomach acid can trump both for pH, though I suppose it is lower in sugar content.

While I voted yes, I don't drink the stuff. Soda pop is garbage. Is it okay to eat or drink garbage? Yup. Won't do your body much good, but if you sweeten it enough, it might taste just fine. Load it up with caffeine, put it in a cool looking bottle, slap a label on it and you might become rich.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Just saying.

Baking soda is also a really good cleaner for all sorts of things.

But anyway - I vote yes. But whether or not you should drink it otherwise depends on your personal "reaction" to caffeine. I have a friend who struggles to cut down on Coke for health reasons because of the caffeine content, yet I won't have an issue after several cans days in a row (not that I do that, but I have before). Besides, I prefer Sprite.

And your stomach acid can trump both for pH, though I suppose it is lower in sugar content.

I think your teeth, gums, and esophagus are more concerned about the pH of your drinks than your stomach is.