Sex offender vigilante

NadiaStar

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the article

What gets me is that one of the victims was just a guy who had sex with his girlfriend in high school. Should that be a murdering offense?

Does your question mean that it was ok to murder the other offender? i don't think either was a murdering offense. While the law does have an opening for justifiable homicide there's a reason it's a hard thing to prove. The second you hint that it might be ok that one criminal be killed for his crime you possibly start opening a flood gate.

I think what Nadia is trying to say is that... for someone who has a warped sense of morals who believes sex offenders are punishable by murder, she can't understand how having sex with your girlfriend in high school can fall into that warped sense of justice. She wasn't saying anything about vigilante justice being okay except for the high school sweethearts. Make sense?

So, to answer the OP's question... if the vigilante felt that the high school girlfriend was lured into sex unwillingly, it doesn't matter much if she loved the guy.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that - being boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't make the sexual offense disappear.

I hate to admit it, but there is part of me that can't completely hate the guy for wanting to get rid of pedophiles. However, my morality does not support it and I'm a little offended I have people jump down my throat without further questioning me.

Rather, my question is just that: why is it okay to murder, especially when someone did nothing?

As for consent still making it a sexual offense, is it fair that two kids can have consensual sex, one parent can get mad, and condemn the boyfriend/girlfriend to a life of being unable to get a job due to being on the list?

Edited by NadiaStar

I think that pretty much all serial killers have some kind of twisted justification for why what they did was right, proper, or somehow the will of God. The only difference here is that this one picked something that can resonate with a lot of people. But don't mistake it, he is a serial killer, and he is only sorry that he got caught.

What gets me is that in the comments people actually admire the murderer. I can understand, not condone, killing someone who just raped your daughter but that is in the heat of anger. This is sheer cold blooded.

A heck of a lot of serial killers target prostitutes and consider themselves justice seekers. This man is no better. He is definitely a budding serial killer.

Edited by annewandering

I hate to admit it, but there is part of me that can't completely hate the guy for wanting to get rid of pedophiles. However, my morality does not support it and I'm a little offended I have people jump down my throat without further questioning me.

Rather, my question is just that: why is it okay to murder, especially when someone did nothing?

As for consent still making it a sexual offense, is it fair that two kids can have consensual sex, one parent can get mad, and condemn the boyfriend/girlfriend to a life of being unable to get a job due to being on the list?

You mean you are offended that 2 people disagree with you about the fact that murder is murder?

When did I say murder isn't murder? Did I ever say the other guy completely deserved it? My intended focus was that I'm sad a guy who only slept with a girl during high school gets to be put on the same moral level as a true pedophile.

I'll try and restate this: Because I'm human, I find it slightly less sad that a true pedophile is dead than some guy who liked his high school girlfriend.

Edited by NadiaStar

And yet I find it sad that someone took 2 individuals life because he felt they were worthless. It doesn't matter to me that one might have had more serious offenses than the other.

You are asking why is it ok to murder? And many here are answering: It isn't ok.

A few people bothered to actually properly pick the guy's brain for me. Everyone else is mad at me for feeling bad for a guy on the sex offender list.

Edited by NadiaStar

It is sad. I never said otherwise.

I guess I was on a different wavelength than you.

And I never said you did. I'm responding to the subject as a whole.

why is it okay to murder, especially when someone did nothing?

It isn't ok to murder, especially when someone did nothing. Could you point to the person saying otherwise?

As for consent still making it a sexual offense, is it fair that

Heh. Here's some free advice: Understand that the word "fair" often doesn't have much to do with human-based systems of justice. We sometimes stink at administering justice. Here is a partial list of things humans are horrible at:

- Figuring out what happened

- Figuring out who is to blame and who is blameless, and in what measures

- Accounting for mitigating and aggravating circumstances

- Determining intent

- Reading the content of someone's character and heart and soul

- Agreeing that a punishment should be applied

- Agreeing on what an appropriate punishment is

- Agreeing to apply an appropriate punishment

- Actually applying the agreed on appropriate punishment

So if we're fortunate enough to live in a country where good people actually try their best to administer justice, we're still not all that great at it.

You can ask cops how often they see bad people go free. You can ask jury members how often they believe they were able to decide the right thing. You can ask corrections officers how often prison makes someone better, and how often it makes them worse.

Personally, if I didn't believe in God's ability to mete out perfect justice and perfect mercy, I'd be a much unhappier person here on earth. Because I often don't see either happening here.

I'll try and restate this: Because I'm human, I find it slightly less sad that a true pedophile is dead than some guy who liked his high school girlfriend.

Yes, humans usually struggle with the commandment to love their neighbor, when looking at neighbors who happen to have done horrible things. But as someone who has dealt with the issue, and struggled to love more than one such person, I wholeheartedly endorse giving it a try. God doesn't want us to be 'less sad' when one of His children dies instead of another.

(I say this, as my family is preparing against the possibility that the guy we helped put behind bars may come looking for some payback when he gets out this year.)

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

You are asking why is it ok to murder? And many here are answering: It isn't ok.

That wasn't her question.

Her question is why is a high schooler having sex with his girlfriend worthy of murder in the vigilante's eyes?

I mean, sure, she used different wording. But I find it insulting to Nadia to be painted as somebody who has to ask if murder is okay...

I doubt any one is mad at you. Disagree is not mad. :) I do understand what you mean. In fact it is abominable that a person is labeled a sex offender when they were actually unchaste. Hardly the same thing. My gosh my grandmother had sex with my grandfather and got pregnant when she was 16 and he was hmmm 27 or so. They got married and had 13 other kids, all happily. He could have been labeled a sex offender. Legally he would be today. Of course back then it was not all that unusual. Couldnt have been since my other grandparents were 16 and 28. None of them were hillbillies either. Times have changed but hormones havent.

Okay, while we're on this topic. I had a discussion with my husband on this. My understanding is that, it is only a sexual offense if one party is 18 and above. So, if both of them are 17, it's okay, once the other person turns 18, they have to stop having sex until the other one turns 18. My husband's understanding is that anybody having sex with somebody under 18 is a sexual offender even if he/she is also under 18. But, in the case of 2 under-18 having sex, since both of them are offenders, nobody sues. Which one of us is right?