Morning Sickness

Backroads

I thought you've been pregnant a long time! Morning sickness usually only occurs during the first tri-mester.

Morning sickness - my remedy is Skyflakes and Gingel Ale right next to the bed. I eat one piece of Skyflakes and a sip of ginger ale before I get out of bed. Works wonders.

Okay, Skyflakes is a Filipino cracker. I'm not quite sure what the equivalent is in the regular grocery store - it's close to Saltines.

If you're not too worried about giving me your snail mail address, you can PM it to me and I'll send you a box of Skyflakes in the mail.

Backroads, I don't know why they call it morning sickness. It was ALL day sickness for me.

Anyways, the only thing that helped me was to ensure that I ate a cracker or two ALL the time and ensuring I had something on my stomach even when I was not hungry and even when I was feeling so sick I couldn't stand the smell of food because I found that the emptier the stomach, the more sick I felt.

Half a Unisom and a vitamin B6 supplement got me through the first half of my last pregnancy. I was miserably sick. It didn't take it away totally, but it really helped! My doctor recommended it. Just make sure to get the "regular" Unisom (I think it's a blue tablet), not extended release or anything like that. If I remember right, Walmart even had a generic that was pretty cheap.

I was lucky enough not to have morning sickness with either of my pregnancies, but one tip I've heard is to have a drink and a snack on your nightstand, and to eat a small bit before you even sit up in the morning.

I found that it's not just ANY food. I know Skyflakes worked for me and any other cookie or bread doesn't.

I got it bad, every time. I used to lose 18 lbs per pregnancy. Got IVs a couple times a week and threw up about 20 times a day, at least. Not exaggerating.

Tips:

Don't let your tummy get empty.

Before you even sit up in the morning, eat a few crackers, doze while it settles. Then get up for the day.

Smoothies, because even water or other juices and such can make you feel a bit sick. Smoothie is not food, not drink, seemed to help.

Vitamin B , take the kind that goes under your toung. Build up to a full dose, start small.

Make sure you have enough iron.

Eat small amounts very, very often.....pretty much constantly.

Get a blessing. :)

Good luck!

Everyone reacts to morning sickness differently and it can be different with each pregnancy. For my first pregnancy I found that as soon as I started to get hunger pains I would eat right away, but don't eat too fast. If I waited too long, the hunger pains would become too intense causing the urge to throw up. I also found that milk and bananas were very helpful in stopping the morning sickness sensation. For my 2nd pregnancy I found having a really good lunch, did the trick. But everyone is so different, you may need to find your own tricks.

M.

I had morning sickness before I even knew I was pregnant, and then only had it for a couple weeks and then it was done! There wasn't any lifesaving remedy for me. I tried the crackers, the snacks, the this and the that - nothing. All I could do was lay down and rest the best that I could. Note, morning sickness isn't just that barfy feeling - it is headaches as well but people tend to relate to morning sickness as just nausea. I had the headaches only - no barfing but it was bad enough that I got super dizzy and couldn't function at all.

On Saturday we were at La Beau's in Garden City and I couldn't be near the building, it was so bad. But my cheeseburger and rasberry shake were still delicious.

I took a break to run to the store for saltines and something with carbonation. I picked up a Snickers bar as well (they were on sale) had a bite of that, and a minute later felt great! I'm not sure if relying on chocolate is the best way to go, though...

On Saturday we were at La Beau's in Garden City and I couldn't be near the building, it was so bad. But my cheeseburger and rasberry shake were still delicious.

I took a break to run to the store for saltines and something with carbonation. I picked up a Snickers bar as well (they were on sale) had a bite of that, and a minute later felt great! I'm not sure if relying on chocolate is the best way to go, though...

Enjoy your pregnancy! My pregnancy itself wasn't too bad but I should note that it was my first pregnancy. I have heard that each pregnancy gets tougher. I went through that chocolate phase and then all of a sudden I wasn't interested in chocolate but craved Starburts! I don't even like sweet candies like that but I ate them religiously for months through my pregnancy.

This is slightly off topic but if you've decided to breastfeed, you can start pumping before your delivery. This will help encourage milk production and also you'll have a decent setup before your little one arrives. I wish I had done this but I didn't and was only able to breastfeed up to 3.5 months.

...I have heard that each pregnancy gets tougher...

I don't know if I would use the word "tougher". I think it's fair to say the each pregnancy is different. I only had two pregnancies, but they were very different - labour and delivery were very different also.

M.

I don't know if I would use the word "tougher". I think it's fair to say the each pregnancy is different. I only had two pregnancies, but they were very different - labour and delivery were very different also.

M.

Absolutely, agreed!

I guess my point was, in general, the stress of a pregnancy takes its toll on the body with each additional pregnancy. Especially since, we don't get any younger with our next baby, or the next, or the next :]

I was violently ill for only one baby, the first. Crackers before eyes opening helped a lot and never let tummy get empty.

My mom had an odd solution and that was a glass of warm water, throw up and get it over with. It worked for her but no way for me. Anything greasy makes it awful which is why I wonder why you can stand chocolate. :) Plain water made it worse for me. oh and poor ken. Every time he walked in the door from work I threw up. lol.

Enjoy your pregnancy! My pregnancy itself wasn't too bad but I should note that it was my first pregnancy. I have heard that each pregnancy gets tougher. I went through that chocolate phase and then all of a sudden I wasn't interested in chocolate but craved Starburts! I don't even like sweet candies like that but I ate them religiously for months through my pregnancy.

This is slightly off topic but if you've decided to breastfeed, you can start pumping before your delivery. This will help encourage milk production and also you'll have a decent setup before your little one arrives. I wish I had done this but I didn't and was only able to breastfeed up to 3.5 months.

I don't think each gets tougher but I've heard many women say their pregnancies mirrored the personalities/preferences of their children. I was surprised to hear this. It was definitely true with my children.

My easiest pregnancy was my last.