what to do on the Sabbath?

dahlia

Gang - I am pretty much on my own on Sundays after church. Sometimes I get a HT visit, but on most Sundays I am home, reviewing for class if I have a Monday class, watching TV, etc. I don't shop and I don't clean other than putting dishes in the dishwasher if necessary.

Well, this is getting pretty boring. I read the Ensign when I get it, I listen to LDS music, I may watch something on BYU TV, but a lot of times there's not much on in which I am interested. I have many books on Church history that I read. I can't sit on the couch and listen to MoTab all day.

I don't have a bunch of kids to feed, my son may not even be home for dinner. So, there's no focus on a big Sunday meal. I came up differently. Yes, Sunday was a day my mother cooked a big meal, but there were 7 of us. Once I had my own family, Sunday was a day for us to order or go out so mom wouldn't have to cook. When I was a Reform Jew, approved Sabbath activities included going to cultural events, catching up on one's reading, going for nature walks, etc. I'm not sure I get that with the LDS. I feel like I'm supposed to sit in the house, stare at the walls, and sing, 'Come, come ye Saints' to myself.

Previously, I asked about going to the gym, and that was nixed. What can I do? I'd like to go to the movies sometimes, and I'm getting mighty sick of cooking (why should mom cook when everyone else is goofing off?). I'm not sure if I'm even supposed to order food - I know that when the missionaries were here, they would let me cook for them, but we couldn't go to a restaurant. I feel like I'm stuck in the house waiting for the sun to go down.

Help. I really don't want to spend the day working on my class prep or reading journal articles, but that's what it's going to turn into if I don't find approved, single person, things to do. Don't suggest hanging out with my friends with the multiple kids. They need their Sabbath and I need mine.

Why does the Sabbath need to be about 'doing? Can't it just be about being?

The Sabbath is supposed to be a day of rest. Is it not possible for you to slow down and not focus on 'doing'?

For myself, the Sabbath goes by too quickly, and I have never worried about keeping myself occupied. I realize I was used to an Orthodox Jewish Sabbath, but still......I don't think of the Sabbath as a day to worry about keeping busy. It's a relief to not have to cram every minute with doing.

I don't know which time your ward is currently meeting, but right now ours meets at 9:00. (When I joined, it was the 1:00 time. I appreciated the opportunity to sleep in!). That's three hours minimum. Sometimes I have a meeting with the bishop or other little activities after church. Then it's a little bit of lunch. Scripture and other reading. It's a good time to write a letter to the missionaries. A Sabbath nap is an absolute must for me. I find that by the time I do even this much, the day is over in a flash.

I love the Sabbath. I get to let go of doing and focus on being.

How could I forget this?....I love to go sit on the temple grounds on the Sabbath. There is rarely anyone there other than an occasional tour conducted by those volunteering at the visitor's center. I enjoy the peace and the quiet and talking to Heavenly Father.

Edited by Leah
to add one more thing

Hello, Dahlia;

Thanks for bringing this subject up. I think this is an important topic that is good to address. When I was single, I certainly had a hard time with keeping the Sabbath day holy. I felt as if I was shut off of the world as a whole...

Certainly, do get out. Have you thought of serving others on the sabbath? I know in my singles ward we were assigned to a nursing home to assist in having a Sacrament meeting for the elderly. I still remember doing that. So glad that I did....

Maybe you can go to a retirement home and read scriptures to a person who can't see. Or serve a meal to the homeless. Or be a big sister to a neglected or abused child and spend time with them. There are so many opportunities to serve. See what's up at your ward to do. Are you able to attend a singles ward? If not, is it possible to befriend another member and do things together on the Sabbath? I don't know if you can go to a fireside or other church activity in the area your at. Just an idea. One idea would be to attend another meeting block to meet more people and potential friends. This may sound like traveling through a fiery furnace. I remember being in the MTC and studying the gospel alll day! Two church blocks seemed like nothing after that.

Good luck in finding creative, sabbath day activities. Please let us know how you're doing with this in the future. I do struggle with feeling alone on the sabbath. It's the first day my husband goes back to work and I'm alone the whole evening. I should take my own advice!

Dove

Things I look forward to doing on the Sabbath:

- Attending church service

- Resting

(I told my husband on my birthday - I'd like to ask for a gift. I want one day where I can do absolutely nothing. He looked at me like I have gone off the deep end.)

- Working on my genealogy and preparing temple stuff for them

- Working on my journal (I don't get the time to journal daily. Sunday is one of those times when I can reflect back on the week and write down important stuff).

- Working on the scrapbook (baby books for my not-babies-anymore kids)

- Visiting family (physical visits or phone calls or emails etc.)

- Prepare lessons (church lessons, Visit Teaching message, Family Home Evening)

- Read the lessons I missed that Sunday (being in Primary, I miss Gospel Doctrine and Relief Society - so I go through the lessons and self-study).

- Learn to play hymns on the piano. I'm Singing Time leader in Primary and our pianist moved, so I tried to learn the songs so I can at least play some "reverence songs" while we hunt down a pianist. I liked it so much that I continued to learn to play even when a new pianist got called.

I have more stuff to do than there is Sundays...

The rule of thumb for most Mormons (and encouraged by GAs) is if it is making someone else work on the Sabbath, then we should not participate. Restaurants, grocery stores, clothes sstores, movie theaters, gyms, etc. all have people staffing them and working. Thus, we typically will avoid them on Sunday so that we can discourage employers from making employees work on Sunday.

For myself, I know that whether I visit a restaurant on Sunday isn't going to shut the place down. For me, it is a matter of principle and one way that I've agreed to show my faith to Heavenly Father.

Edited by beefche
there ya go, pam! :D

When I was a Reform Jew, approved Sabbath activities included going to cultural events, catching up on one's reading, going for nature walks, etc. I'm not sure I get that with the LDS.

Those are fine, as is visiting friends, neighbors, and family, writing letters (emails), doing genealogy, hobbies. Pretty much anything if done in the spirit of the Sabbath. The one thing I avoid is in making anyone work on the Sabbath, thus no shopping, restaurants, gyms etc. As beefche said, we know the businesses won't close because we don't visit, but we have Covenanted with God to obey his commandments. The 10 Commandments are quite clear about not making anyone work for you on the Sabbath. Ten Commandments verses 8-10 are about the Sabbath, verse 10 is what is germane to this conversation

I feel like I'm supposed to sit in the house, stare at the walls, and sing, 'Come, come ye Saints' to myself.

Funny Edited by mnn727

Dahlia, I think you can/should do any activity during which you still feel that you are keeping an appropriate spirit of the Sabbath with you. If you can do that while going to the movies or cultural events, then go! If you need/want to order out because cooking annoys/tires/whatevers you at this point and it helps you better focus on the Savior if you don't have to think about that, then order out! It's not traditionally done on the Sabbath by LDS members, but we're all different. And most of us raised in the Church never realize that the hardest part for converts isn't accepting the doctrine, but rather the culture -- that has a much longer adjustment period.

If you need/want to order out because cooking annoys/tires/whatevers you at this point and it helps you better focus on the Savior if you don't have to think about that, then order out!

Or fix sandwiches, or some other easy made meal (fresh or frozen) appropriate to one's dietary needs.

The rule of thumb for most Mormons (and encouraged by GAs) is if it is making someone else work on the Sabbath, then we should participate. Restaurants, grocery stores, clothes sstores, movie theaters, gyms, etc. all have people staffing them and working. Thus, we typically will avoid them on Sunday so that we can discourage employers from making employees work on Sunday.

For myself, I know that whether I visit a restaurant on Sunday isn't going to shut the place down. For me, it is a matter of principle and one way that I've agreed to show my faith to Heavenly Father.

I'm sure you mean we should NOT participate. :)

I love the Sabbath. Its a day to do things Christ would have us do.

I like Anatess' list. I would add visit ward members who are unable to get out. Of take a treat or something helpful to someone who is ill. Basically minister to the needs of others around us.

We always make sure we fill the gas tank on the car on Saturday night so we don't have to spend money on Sunday when we go visiting.

My husband worked retail management for about 15 years. He refuses to do anything that might make someone work on the Sabbath. He knows how much he disliked not being able to enjoy the Sabbath because he was working and he doesn't want to make someone else work.

He is even more this way on Holidays even though I've explained that going to dinner at Little America on Thanksgiving might be blessing someone. Often people who work holidays are those who volunteer. They might not have family to spend it with or they need the extra money or tips.

He is even more this way on Holidays even though I've explained that going to dinner at Little America on Thanksgiving might be blessing someone. Often people who work holidays are those who volunteer. They might not have family to spend it with or they need the extra money or tips.

Before I was salary I used to volunteer to work all holidays. Not only was I already getting holiday pay but getting time and a half for working the holiday. Now that I'm salary...I don't volunteer anymore. Except for a holiday like Christmas where someone else with small children would have to work. I then volunteer since my kids are older.

Or fix sandwiches, or some other easy made meal (fresh or frozen) appropriate to one's dietary needs.

Much better idea than those suggested which would cause someone else to work on the Sabbath, which goes against Church teachings. I am not sure how encouraging others to go against Church teachings helps them to feel the spirit of the Sabbath better.

As an Orthodox Jew, I mastered the art of preparing food ahead of time, as cooking wasn't allowed on the Sabbath (and neither was causing someone else to work on the Sabbath).

We really can take one day a week off from the "world" and still accomplish all we need to in the other six days.

Hi dahlia. I hope you are doing well! :)

Here are a few suggestions to do on Sundays.

Service. Have a plan each week to do some service for another on Sunday.

Get to know a new person in your neighborhood.

Visiting/Home Teaching: I do ALL of my home teaching for the month on Sundays.

Check out the suggestions from the Family Home Evening Resource book here.

Also, consider going over the Gospel Principles lesson again about the Sabbath day. I've quoted a section from it for your convenience below:

We should consider righteous things we can do on the Sabbath. For example, we can keep the Sabbath day holy by attending Church meetings; reading the scriptures and the words of our Church leaders; visiting the sick, the aged, and our loved ones; listening to uplifting music and singing hymns; praying to our Heavenly Father with praise and thanksgiving; performing Church service; preparing family history records and personal histories; telling faith-promoting stories and bearing our testimony to family members and sharing spiritual experiences with them; writing letters to missionaries and loved ones; fasting with a purpose; and sharing time with children and others in the home.

In deciding what other activities we could properly engage in on the Sabbath, we could ask ourselves: Will it uplift and inspire me? Does it show respect for the Lord? Does it direct my thoughts to Him?

Regards,

Finrock

Why would you not be able tO go to the gym on Sunday?

Sunday is a day to reflect and spend with your family and friends not to Be a hermit.

(I watch football all day during the season) don't tell anyone......

Personally, I don't know why either, but I asked here and it was suggested that I not.

I think part of my issue is that as a professor, I don't work a full week in a workplace. I do my classes and meeting, and then much of what I do is from home. This is typical for our faculty - especially in winter, as no one wants to go in when there's a ton of snow, etc. unless you have to. If I worked 9 hours a day on my feet or handling call center complaints all the time, then yeah, I'd be ready for a restful Sabbath.

I have downtime during the week, so it's not like I have to wait until Sunday to sleep late or have time to myself. And, with no little kids, there's just nothing outside of myself, so to speak, laying claim to my time. Reading LDS study aids, etc. is OK, but I'm not going to do that for 6-9 hours.

I don't know how people take naps. Seems like a waste of daylight to me.

On Mother's Day, my son took me to dinner. That is what we've always done and I didn't think anything about it. When I mentioned it when people asked what did I do that day, I kinda got the message that I wasn't supposed to go to a restaurant. On Mother's Day! My day of all days not to cook and to be pampered. My son isn't a member, so when I mentioned it, he was a little miffed - why shouldn't he take me out, which we have been doing for many years? We do so little these days as a family (there's just the 2 of us), that I don't want to spoil those things that bring us together and have such happy memories.

Dahlia, the thing is, you aren't going to go to a special place in hell because you choose to do things on the Sabbath that others think are inappropriate. But, why can't your son make you dinner for Mother's Day? Or celebrate it the night before on Saturday?

That's how I think--can this be done Monday-Saturday and thus, avoided on Sunday? If yes, then I make sure to do whatever it is on Monday-Saturday. As an example, I have a couple of traditions for my birthday--I ALWAYS go to a movie and I ALWAYS go out to dinner. Except when my birthday falls on a Sunday (which I admit I hate when that happens). When it falls on a Sunday, then I watch a movie at home and make a dinner.

On Mother's Day, my son took me to dinner. That is what we've always done and I didn't think anything about it. When I mentioned it when people asked what did I do that day, I kinda got the message that I wasn't supposed to go to a restaurant. On Mother's Day! My day of all days not to cook and to be pampered. My son isn't a member, so when I mentioned it, he was a little miffed - why shouldn't he take me out, which we have been doing for many years? We do so little these days as a family (there's just the 2 of us), that I don't want to spoil those things that bring us together and have such happy memories.

My parents are both converts to the Church, and no one else in their families are members. I remember going out for brunch on Mothers' Day or Fathers' Day several times when I was younger -- my great-grandparents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I remember asking my dad why we did it, since we weren't "supposed" to go out to eat on Sundays...that was bad. He explained to me that family is most important, and sometimes we make exceptions for family, so as not to hurt those relationships. I still feel that way today, especially since as I've grown up I've learned that the Church itself also teaches that family is the most important thing -- family should come before Church*. Preserving our family relationships is more important than any calling we might ever have. It is more important than stressing over what we can and cannot do on a given day of the week.

*That's not to say that "family" should be a go-to excuse to not follow any rule/commandment that you want, but that a nice Mothers' Day dinner once a year with your son is probably not a big deal.

With all the other posts here, including mine, I think we have forgotten WHY we don't do those things on the Sabbath and that's why things like Mother's Day becomes a contention.

God chose one day out of 7 - the Church applied the policy that it is going to be on Sunday - that we reserve to worship God. Mother's Day SHOULD pale in comparison to God's Day. This day is not for our temporal selves. This day is for our spiritual selves. Worshipping God is not just singing Come, Come Ye Saints. Worshipping God is sanctifying this appointed day to the work and glory of God's Kingdom.

This is not a battle over how we can't rest from cooking because we can't go to a restaurant, we can't buy bread from the store, we can't go frolicking at the beach... this day is not a day of CAN'Ts. Jesus Christ himself worked on the Sabbath. If buying bread from the store keeps the sanctity of the Sabbath, then go. Just remember that the person having to ring out your bread may have to sacrifice the sanctity of his Sabbath to ring out your bread. People get sick on the Sabbath. It might be a nurse's way to sanctify the Sabbath by serving the sick in his work. Cooking for your own dinner on this day to keep it holy for somebody else is sanctifying this day. Therefore, the act of cooking becomes a joy instead of a hardship as it is done in service to our fellowmen.

Spirit of the law versus letter of the law. This is not a day of CAN'Ts. Take heed to Elder Gillespie's (General Authority) words about the Sabbath:

...the Lord states that the Sabbath was given that we might keep ourselves “unspotted from the world.” It is a day to partake of the sacrament, a day “to pay [our] devotions unto the Most High,” a day of “fasting and prayer,” a day to offer our time, talent, and means in service to our God and our fellowmen, a day to “[confess our] sins [to our] brethren, and before the Lord.” It is also a good day to pay our tithes and fast offerings, a day to be marked by sincere sacrifice of the pursuits and pleasures of the world. It is a day to keep the Sabbath covenant, a day of “rejoicing and prayer,” a day of “cheerful hearts and countenances.”

The Blessing of Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy - general-conference

Think of what you plan to do on the Sabbath and bounce it against the words of Elder Gillespie above. It shouldn't matter what it is you're doing as long as you keep the sanctity of the day that God commanded us to sanctify. And like all other commandments, this day requires preparation and planning to be able to fulfill this commandment.

Of course, this is going to be all for naught if you don't have a testimony of the blessings of keeping the sabbath day holy. So, if you don't have one, gain one. That's step one.

Edited by anatess

A electrician company is trying me out as a tech, then possibly as a supervisor. They believe in no over time which means I will not work Saturdays or Sundays. Four years ago, two TELUS telecommunication subcontractor companies I was interested in working for, required to work on Sundays. It was written in the contract that Telus, the major telecom provider for BC Canada, that there subcontractor companies work on Sundays. This covered the time, that Telus would not work on weekends and only weekdays.

Because I did not except these two company offers, I suffered severe financial difficulty in helping paying bills. I had to sub out my work to two companies based in the US, who have clients here. I may FINALLY work a normal job in which I can pay off all bills and debts and still visit my extended relatives on the weekend.